Skip to main content

The beautiful Snaefellsnes Peninsula

In case you hadn't guessed I love Iceland.  I fell in love with it on my first trip (on a stopover on the way back from the UK) in October of 2013.  I just knew I had to do a stopover each way on this last trip to the UK and see more of the country.   One to experience the Christmas season and one to experience the Midnight Sun in June.  The one trip I really wanted to take was to the Snaefellsnes Peninsula.   Due to rain and dull weather while I was there I had resigned myself to the same for my day trip - but like my enchanted trip to the Giants Causeway the weather was amazing.

It was a full day and we were advised to pick up sandwiches along the way - yes!  My kind of tour which is all adventure and exploring and no time wasted at lunch stops.

This post will be mainly a photo diary as the photos can explain the day so much better than I can. So off we go.....
Taken from the bus window enroute

Taken from the bus window enroute
It was a long haul to get to our first stop but totally worth it...

We were dropped off at a cafe and from there walked over to the cliff edge and around the area and all the while my cameras were going nonstop.  This area reminded me so much of Cape St Marys in Newfoundland....
 







Stunning, yes?  My mouth was hanging open the entire time I wandered around this area.  Our tour leader was excellent and recommended the best paths for us to walk in the area.


Talk about a darling little harbour...

Our next stop was at Djupalonssandur where the wreckage from a fishing trawler still lays scattered over the beach - a memorial to the crew who lost their lives in March of 1948.



These rocks were used as measuring strength for the local fishermen. 




Black sand and rock beach..result of.volcanic activity


Wreckage from the Epine fishing trawler
Then off we went again...this time a closer look at Kirkjufell - Church mountain...but before we left ..

Bad photo but you know it's a good day when the driver takes a picture - this glacier is rarely seen in its entirety as it's usually covered with cloud.

Beautiful view of the Snaefellsjökull Glacier
Church mountain
We even had a proposal here!!!

He was down on one knee but I missed it.

I guess if you have to get engaged this is as good a place as any
After we all clapped and wished them well it was time to head off to our last stop...a fishing village (sorry don't remember the name and even if I did I wouldn't be able to spell it) which was celebrating the annual Fisherman's day...



Kept seeing thsee helicopters at fisherman's day celebrations -  I guess because they do sea rescue
Finally our last stop....Olafsvik which was another fishing village.  By this time while the sun was still shining the wind was strong and cold and for most of us it was a quick jump out of the bus to take photos and a potty stop.



And then we headed back to Reykjavik...what a fabulous day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more