Skip to main content

Gallivanting around Guernsey - Part 2 - a day on the Island of Herm

After my first busy 24 hours on the island I wish I could say I had a wonderful sleep.  Not!  When will you ever learn Laurie?  Ever since my gallbladder was removed in 2004 my system cannot handle too much greasy food.  Every once in a while when I am on holiday I forget.  It's usually the combination of a fried English breakfast and fish and chips for supper....I try not to do that but it's happened enough times and sometimes quite dramatically.  A London Underground station (or two) and a bus stop got samples of my DNA one evening back in 2007; I still shudder in embarrassment but it could have been worse - I could have upchucked over everybody around me in "Mary Poppins" - luckily I had the sense to leave at intermission.  Anyway, you're not reading my travel blog to hear about that but as I've always said life isn't always fun and games on the road either. So if I am having a lovely cooked English breakfast I have to know that I am not heading out to the chippie or having a burger that evening.  I will spare you the details of my very busy night. 

Needless to say, I just had toast the next morning.  

I got the bus into town and decided I would go to Herm.  The ferry wasn't for another hour but I got my ticket and wandered the area.  I found a small waiting room where I sat until I could see people getting on the boat.  There was a cafe nearby but I had already had my fair share of coffee and I wasn't piling more food into my recuperated but fragile tummy...well not quite yet anyway.  Let's just say St Peter Port on a Sunday morning isn't the most lively place in the world. 

Once we boarded I claimed a seat and then went outside to see a view of St Peter Port as we left.  Stunning!!!   




The boat was full to bursting as there was a bike race on so there were lots of cyclists, their families and bikes... 





Looks like lots of people are heading back to Guernsey...

Herm is a tiny island, being only one and a half miles long and less than half a mile wide.  Let's just say it hasn't got a huge population either - the latest figures I can find are from a census in 2002. 60 residents!  

I stopped into a shop and bought this postcard that highlighted walks in the area...




I decided to head over to the west side of the island first.  




Looking out towards Fisherman's Beach 


I loved this path.  The bike race was taking place more of on the eastern side of the island and the paths were blocked off luckily - didn't need to be taken out by a fast-moving bike! 



Bears Beach 



Mouisinierre Beach 



Then I decided to tramp across the fields to Shell Beach - got a bit "misplaced" but what the hay.  



Shell Beach 



Another view of Shell Beach.  



Time to head back to the waterfront - my stomach was growling. 



As you can see there weren't many people on the island. Oh yes, did I mention no vehicles allowed.  I don't think I could live on an island like this. Think? I know! However, I would love the opportunity to spend a couple of days and do some walks and enjoy the quietness. Solo of course! Walks, reading books by a warm fire, some wine and good food.  Mmmmmm.....



It didn't rain while I was here but it was overcast and dull all day. Well that is until an hour before the boat arrived to take us back to Guernsey.   Of course! 



For whatever reason I did not take a picture of the pub.  Anyhoo I popped in and was able to snag a small table for myself and ordered a Sunday roast. (beef)  The Yorkshire pudding was HUGE.  Loads of veggies.  Oh my my.  Yes my tummy recuperates quickly. 



I think I got too excited to get those yummy veggies on my plate before I remembered to take a picture.  It was good but the one on the Isle of Wight still wins the prize for "Best Sunday roast of the trip".  (licking my lips in remembrance as I type this) 



After I finished my meal I sat for a while and wrote in my journal - I always start an entry about where I am.  I wrote all about the day before but never did mention my time on Herm!!!  I'm glad I took lots of pictures.  What can I say, my memory isn't what it used to be.  The bikers and families started trailing in and it got much noisier and busier so I took my leave. Next was a walk up the hill to see St Tugual's chapel.  






I stopped and had a quick look at this pretty little garden but decided to stick to the main room - don't worry I'll be back! 




St Tugual's chapel - I tried the door but it seemed to be locked...The chapel dates from the 11th century when it was occupied by monks.  Apparently, this has been a religious site since the 6th century.  The jury is out whether St Tugual (a Bretan monk) was ever actually ON the island of Herm or the chapel was named in his honour by the monks. 




There isn't much to the Manor Village which is where most of the 60 plus residents live.  Apparently, you can stay with some of the residents for a fee as there was only one hotel that I saw.  Maybe someday I will do that!  I still need to walk the east end of the island. 



On the way back down I stayed off the main path and opted to saunter the path through the woods to the park I had seen earlier. 



I loved this seating area with tires used as planters.  Gathering place for the fairies?  



Confession time:  I spent a lot of time sitting in this garden.  It was restful and I needed a place to sit down!  The pub was the only game in town - no tea shops and it wasn't quite time to get the boat back to St Peter Port.  



Back to the blue house again....and down to the sea. 



Due to the tide, our boat wasn't coming into the harbour and was docking at the Rosiere steps which were along this path. 




You can see the Rosiere steps with people waiting on the left side of this photograph.  

Then it was back on the boat to St Peter Port - what a special day I had in Herm and if I am ever fortunate enough to get back to Guernsey I will surely visit again!  

Back at the harbour I walked past these monuments dedicated to the atrocities done to the people of Guernsey during the war.  As I have mentioned before Guernsey was occupied by the Germans for five years during World War II.  I will be writing about that in future however if you have Netflix you must watch "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" or better yet, read the book!  






And that was day two in Guernsey....


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more