Skip to main content

Sunday Funday in London Town - a parade, street art and Coal Drops Yard

Sundays are fun days for me in London.  It starts with pancakes - well more like crepes really.  Thin pancakes that I slather with nutella, roll up and devour.  I limit myself to four. (or try to!) This is the only time I eat Nutella because I just don't want to go down that road...I have enough bad habits when it comes to chocolate! Claudia made normal pancakes for a short while but as I'm not a big pancake fan normally I was so happy she went back to the "crepe style".   

On this particular Sunday (June 30th) with my tummy happy (for now...I don't try to eat too much before a trip to Brick Lane so definitely not more than four that morning!) I set off via train and tube to Brick Lane.  Sunday is market day on Brick Lane which is in the east end of London.  After climbing the steps out of the Aldgate East tube station I headed half a block to Brick Lane and walked down - noting that there was security around.  Hmmm...what was that about.  In the meantime I started taking photos of the street art Brick Lane which the East End is noted for (besides Jack the Ripper and the Kray Brothers that is!). 








While you can see a bit of the street art on Brick Lane you usually have to walk down an alley or side street to see most of them.  A lot is just stickers with painting but there are some great ones too.  


No shortage of Trump street art! 



This is one of the nicer side streets off Brick Lane. There are beautiful houses here that were once occupied by the Huguenots.  The French Huguenot people adhered to the Calvinist tradition of Protestantism.  To make a long story short they were persecuted and murdered in predominately Catholic France.  Ah religion....don't get me started or I will never stop. (especially after I've had a bit to drink) They were told to either convert to Catholicism or leave the country. They fled to Britain (can't blame them) and were actually the first known refugees to Britain in the 17th and early 18th century.  





There are all sorts of markets on (and slightly off) Brick Lane.  You can buy somebody's old tat  sorry....used items or lovely handmade items at the Upmarket or nearby Spitalfields market. 



After an hour or so of wandering Brick Lane, it was time for my traditional momo lunch - momos are delicious dumplings that originate in Tibet.  Kind of like perogies with spicy innards.  They are heaven - pure heaven!!  

I always go to the same vendors - a family that came over from Tibet to settle in London. 


I always order a variety - chicken, lamb, pork veggie, prawn....they are all YUM!!! (and they kindly threw in an extra!)  



I should be more adventurous but I always go for the momos - there are loads of food vendors in this building and it all looks wonderful!  That's it... I guess I need to go to Brick Lane every Sunday I am in London and get out of my "momo rut". 



Belly really full now, I staggered out and back onto the street.  I heard music and then to my startled eyes - a parade!!!  I literally BUMPED into it!  What beautiful colour and music!  Such a privilege to be able to see this.  


This parade marched through the East end ending up at Weavers Fields.  This culminates in the largest Asian festival in Europe.  Boishakhi Mela is a Bengali festival celebrating the Bangladesh New Year and the parade represents the rivers of Bangladesh.  It was truly a special event to witness. 










I always have to pop in here and have a snoop.  


Besides the food in the hall where I got the momos there are loads of kiosks along the northern end of Brick Lane.  I've only ever tried the masala chai (spicy tea) as my belly is always too full from momos.  I really must come here more than once on a trip!!!  The variety of food is amazing. 

I then wandered down a side street over to Bishopgate and the Spitalfields market.  This is a wonderful market that sells beautiful handcrafted items - and they also have food stalls although nothing like Brick Lane.  I came away empty-handed from both markets except for a bamboo toothbrush!  The purpose of this visit was to buy gifts for family and friends and I failed miserably.  I am not really a shopper so I have to be in the right mood. 



I think they were going to telecast sports - probably Wimbledon.  Sports..meh....I parked my butt on a nearby bench to rest and I even resisted the Pimms!!  


I always have to pay my respects to this goat that stands alongside the Spitalfields market building.  It is called "I Goat" and is a memorial to the many immigrants (including the Huguenots I mentioned earlier) and their persecution and sacrifice.  Also it might be a nod to the 17th century when Spitalfields market traded in all sorts - probably including goats.  


Sadly I had to head in the direction of "no roast" - that belly full of momos would definitely have rebelled!!! 

I headed over to Liverpool Street Station as I wasn't entirely sure what I would get up to next.  I sat in the lobby and thought about where to go next...I had a friend join me...


This poor guy was missing a foot!  I felt so badly that 1)  I had no food to share with him and 2) I couldn't take him home with me as my pet to protect and care for (don't think Claudia would have liked that in her guest house!!!)  Then I remembered the cooing.....I had pigeons living on my balcony once or twice.  Not fun.  But I do like their attitude - they don't take sh*t from anyone.  I left the station feeling very sad....though maybe that pigeon is on to a great gig living in Liverpool St station with all those WH Smith sandwich crumbs around and playing up to soppy animal lovers like me. (not a shortage of those in Britain!)

I got on the bus to Kings Cross station and followed the crowd to Coal Drops Yard which is a new shopping and entertainment area just behind the station.  What used to be a hang out for drug addicts/dealers and other people you don't want to meet on a dark night is now being rejuvenated.  My friend Loraine had told me about this place so I knew I had to go.  Honestly, anyone who gets bored in London needs their head examined - or they are just plain boring themselves!!!!  You should see my list for the next time I am over (please...please...don't let it be too long!!). 



What the heck is Coal Drops Yard you might ask?  This was the site of two huge coal sheds that were used to receive coal from South Yorkshire and send it onto the adjacent Regents Canal on canal boats (pulled by horses on the canal paths in earlier days) or onto carts to be dispursed around London.  Coal was used to heat and light the buildings and homes of London and eight million tons a year came through these sheds.  Some coal was also converted to coal gas in the round gasworks structure below. As there are a few of these abandoned lonely structures around London it was so cool to see that condo units have been built inside this structure. 


There were quite a few shops but they were all too high scale for me.  


There was a water play area that was a hit with kiddies of all ages. 


There was also a free movie - I can't remember what it was but it didn't tempt me.  I assume this was a weekend-only thing but I could be wrong.  (And look at all those people - sitting way too close aren't they???  It is going to seem so strange when we can all sit together again.)  


Of course I had to pop in here...


and pay my respects to the proprietor!!! 


I had a browse but nothing took my fancy.  I certainly would have been a cheap date today!!!  

I decided to go back through the tunnel to Kings Cross which was lit in a rainbow for Pride month.  (and nice and cool which was relief on this hot day) 



Then back to Streatham tired and happy - what a great day!!!  

I highly recommend visiting the East End markets on a Sunday.  The markets generally don't start until 10 a.m.  If you want to see the street art I recommend going to the Aldgate East tube station and turn left out of the station for half a block and turn left at the first street - that is Brick Lane. It starts out fairly ordinary with a high number of Indian restaurants but as you walk further along the street art begins and then the markets. 

Coal Drops yard is behind Kings Cross Rail tube/rail station and the train is well marked (or follow the herd if it's the weekend) 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more