Skip to main content

A "wanderful" time in Penticton, British Columbia

 When I learned that the Canadian Volkssport Federation was holding its bi-annual conference in Penticton, British Columbia I was very happy.  Why?  It's a place in Canada I had never been to.  My walking club, the Wascana Wanderers here in Regina is a member of the CVF and I've been a member now for twenty years.  Oh, the adventures I've had thanks to this wonderful club!  Through their programs such as "Walk all the Capitals" in Canada I have been to every province and territory in my home country at least once.  So if anyone ever says to me "why don't you see more of Canada" I'll smack 'em!!!  

So on the morning of Thursday May 26th there were five of us Wascana Wanderers sitting in Regina airport raring to go.  

The Arrival 

Upon our arrival in Penticton the other three were staying at a different hotel so they grabbed a taxi.  My roommate and friend Eilleen had rented a scooter in Regina as she can no longer walk long distances so we were waiting for a special handicapped taxi she had booked the day before.  We waited and waited...I kept phoning and they would say "another nine to ten minutes" or "another one to two minutes".  By the time the taxi pulled up close to an hour later my nostrils were flaring and my feet were tapping.  Ah well, it's not the taxi driver's fault so I calmed down once we were in the taxi on our way.  Our hotel, The Fairfield Inn was quite lovely.  While some wouldn't consider it a luxury hotel to this budget traveler it was a treat.  


I loved the view from our window. 

We were both starving as you can only live on small bags of airline pretzels for so long.  I dearly wanted a Monty Mushroom Burger from Whitespot restaurant.  This chain is only in British Columbia. (pity!)  Luckily Eilleen humoured me and agreed that is what we should have for supper.  However, the dine in restaurant was just too far for us to consider walking/scootering to but the hotel clerk said there was a Triple O Whitespot drive-through across the road.  I phoned over to ask if we could pick up and was told drive through only.  I asked "can I walk through".  The answer was no because of insurance reasons. Rats! However hmmm..Eilleen had a scooter.  So I phoned back (I have no shame, I wanted that burger!) and asked if we could drove through on the scooter to get our meal.  I think he could tell how desperate I was for my Monty Mushroom burger because he thought about it and said "okay why not".  



I was so happy with my burger I didn't even complain when they gave me regular fries (which we shared...) instead of the sweet potato fries I had ordered. We went back to the hotel and ate in the breakfast nook.  Yum, yum.  No pictures because I dove into it too quickly. 

I decided I had best get out and walk some of those calories off so I headed down to Okanagan Lake where I wandered the lakeside path.  It was so beautiful!!  




Penticton has an annual sculpture exhibition along the lake every year.  This is "Reflect and Connect" by William Frymire. 




This is "Murphy" by Laurel Dinney


This is the S.S. Sicamous Museum.  There were once sternwheelers that sailed the lakes and rivers of British Columbia but most have been lost to neglect, fire or used for scrap.  Volunteers work at restoring these vessels.  I didn't get a chance to visit the museum. 

I had been invited for wine in my friends' room in another hotel so of course I had to go.  However, I stopped at one glass as I still had to find my way back and be in shape for the next morning.  

The Penticton Creek trail 

After a hearty complimentary breakfast at our hotel I headed over to the Convention Centre to get my walking festival package of goodies and start the first walk.  It was great to see people I hadn't seen since the last walking convention I attended in Langley, British Columbia in 2016.  


Due to the knee pain I had suffered in the previous two weeks I opted to just do a 5 km walk.  Just after we started out there was a violent cloud burst and some of us turned around.  Ten minutes later the sun came out and off we went.  

As always between my slow gait and my incessant picture taking I fell to the back of the group and that was fine with me.  Now I could sit down when I wanted to and take as many pictures as I wanted without someone waiting for me. No pressure!  That's how I prefer it.  


As you can see the threat of precipitation was around for a while and it did sprinkle a bit. 


Meet Pearl the Pandemic Salmon.  She was created with locally used horseshoes by Jean E. Ousllen.  


This is the Pantocrator by Serge Mozhnevsky.  It portrays the balance between mind and soul.


I loved this sculpture by Chong Fahcheong.  It is a permanent piece and not temporary like the previous sculptures. 


I love piers so, of course I had to walk to the end. 







The walk took me through the Japanese Garden which was lovely.  



I popped into the art gallery for a quick look and took a detour on Front St to stop for a snack.  My knee was bothering me and I needed a sit-down.  


And here is the creek.  I put my camera away after this.  

In the evening we had a meet and greet which featured loads of appetizers, beef on a bun served by a chef and a dessert table.  Belly full I headed back to the room where I went and sat in the hotel hot tub which my knees (and me) were grateful for.

The East Kettle Valley Trail

Today's group walk was on the East Kettle Valley Trail which is a rails to trails path that is accessible from downtown Penticton.  The original Kettle Valley Railway opened in 1915 and ran until 1961 when parts of the rail were closed with the final closure in 1989. Now almost 600 km of the railway line has been converted to a multipurpose path for walkers and cyclists.  I walked with Kathy from Alberta and Sue from Ontario; two ladies that I have known for years through the walking club. we were right at the back.  We had fun though - who wants to be part of the "herd"?  I don't!! 







Looking down onto Penticton


Guess I won't go down this side path! 


As you can see it was a beautiful walk. I cut off the very end of the walk (bad girl!) as I wanted to get to the farmers market.  I hadn't been there five minutes when I saw my buddies June and Marie.  First order of business- ice cream!!!  


Tickleberry's - highly recommended!  That ice cream hit the spot. 


After a short visit over the ice cream Marie and June carried on as they had seen most of the market.  I love markets and Penticton's market was wonderful.



I always feel self-conscious going right up to a vendor and taking pictures especially if I have no intention of buying anything.  Crazy I know.  Suffice to say I bought some locally roasted coffee beans (something I do everytime I travel), some locally made soap (cherries and peach) and bought a couple of small bags of Turkish tea (pomegranate and apple)  from a shop on the street the market was on.  I've found it makes great iced tea.  


And then there was this...The Bookshop.  Heaven for book lovers.  June had told me about this store and I knew it was a "must stop".  There are so many used books that it is overwhelming.  I did treat myself to a guidebook to the Orkney islands as I will be there in mid-August.  Now I just need the time to read it! 


I then headed back over to the lake.  




I could not resist snapping this photo!!! 


The peach kiosk sells ice cream and drinks...sadly I was too full from the ice cream to indulge.  


Brrrr!!!  

I had my second wind so decided to start another walk along the channel pathway.  




This picture reminds me so much of my walks along the Thames Path in England...without those hills on the left side of course!!!  

Despite my knee deciding it would cooperate with me I decided I was done and couldn't go on so I turned around and made my way back to the hotel.  It was along a very busy road and was a very long walk.  After crashing on the bed for a few minutes I jumped in the shower and got dressed for the banquet that evening.  I didn't take any pictures of the banquet but it was great fun and the buffet meal was delicious.  Upon arriving back at the hotel I changed nto my bathing suit again and headed to the hot tub as well as having a dip in the pool.  Bliss!!! 

The West Kettle Valley Trail

I wasn't sure about this walk...I thought "more of the same"?  Boy, was I wrong!!   
We started walking along the same channel I had walked on the day but further along. 



I walked with Kathy, Sue and June. 










What a spectacular walk and it was interesting to walk right by a vineyard.  

That afternoon Florence, June and I decided to visit one of the local wineries.  We settled on Poplar Grove Winery as it served food as well and seemed pretty popular.  We were able to snag a reservation for the three of us and hopped into a taxi.  



We stepped out of the taxi and walked over to see the view - I don't know about the others but my jaw dropped.  It was so beautiful!!! 




We sat on the deck even though it was a bit windy because with that view sitting inside would be a waste!  


The lunch menu was basically tasting plates but my smoked mussels on toast with bearnaise sauce were delicious!!!  

After lunch we walked down to a nearby cemetery.  I was pretty tired by now so I sat on the bench shown below and enjoyed the view. 



I called a taxi and we went back into town before heading to the lakefront for our "last supper" at Salty's.  


Fish tacos and sweet potato fries - doesn't get much better than that!!!  

After the winery, a glass of wine in the girls' hotel room and a caesar I was a wee bit tipsy but made my way back to my hotel without getting lost.  

The Departure

Then the time came to leave.  Florence had opted to stay on another day and I was quite envious.   Instead of the hotel breakfast again (to me "routine" is a dirty word) I decided I wanted another look at downtown so walked to Blenz which is a British Columbia coffee shop chain.  I had a coffee and scone and  Florence and June joined me.  


On our walk back to our respective hotels we saw this sign - I can identify!!!  

Soon we were on our way to the airport and winging our way home.  What a great weekend!  I am so happy to see a part of Canada I had never been to before - I'd definitely like a return visit someday.  




















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more