Skip to main content

Okay here we go again

My post published from here...yay. So now I will tell you about Thursday. I headed for Borough Market thinking it would be quieter than the day I usually go...Saturday (it runs Thurs. to Saturday) Well quiet it was - very few stalls were set up yet. I had told Simon no brekky so I headed for the market cafe - somewhere that normally you can't get close to as it's so packed. I had a bubble with mushroom and bacon breakfast - translation. bubble and squeak (mashed potatoes fried with veggies), bacon, fried mushrooms, fried egg and a sausage. Oh my it was so damn good...heart attack on a plate but the best brekky I've had in a long time. I discovered brown sauce as well - yum! Hard to believe this is from someone who still has the goal of being a vegetarian...but it's true! Well mostly vegetarian....

Then after a coffee in the coffee shop at Southwark (was holding out for a Monmouth coffee but the shop is being refurbished) I took off on the tube to the 02. I got a combo ticket for the British musical experience and Titanic. I did the Titanic exhibit first and it was so interesting...lots of artifacts from the ship. The music experience was okay but not as good as I had hoped. You could try different instruments so I did hold an electric guitar - didn't know what the hell I was doing with it but I held one..a new experience and I am all about that. Now I just need the musician to go with it. :)

I took the bus back to Covent Garden and had a pizza and wine at a restaurant nearby before going to see the Beatrix Potter ballet at the Royal Opera House. I had cheaped out and gotten restricted leg room ticket but as luck would have it the people beside me didn't show up so I was able to move over and enjoy a seat for 12 pounds more. (as the people beside me informed me - not in a snotty way they were happy for me and we had a nice chat about Canada, etc. - one of the perks of solo travel is you get to meet way more people). The Beatrix Pottert ballet was delightful - they were in full costume as in no faces. Jemima Puddle Duck was the best - everyone went crazy when she jumped on the stage. Ballet students were the little mice....it was so much fun. I loved it. The Royal Opera house is beautiful - I hadn't been there in a long time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A walk from Westminster to St Paul's Cathedral

I have decided to put the Thames Path on hold until I am back in London next month and we have more Spring like weather...I will be going into a more rural area that is prone to flooding as well.  I am staying at about five miles maximum a day as well...my knees and feet have been giving me major grief so I am not pushing myself. However that doesn't mean I don't want to walk.  One of my favourite British Walking Federation walks is one that starts at Westminster tube station and covers 10km to St Katherines Docks just east of the Tower of London.  Yesterday I walked as far as St Paul's and will do the rest of the walk in the next couple of days.  Normally I do this entire 10 km walk my first day in London but not this time... So here are some of the highlights along the way....what a gorgeous day it was.  A different view of Big Ben Can you believe this was my first time on Parliament Square Another hero on Parliament Square Classic ...

The Colourful houses of Mazatlan, Mexico

Well this isn't even Throwback Thursday and I am reminiscing about my (all too short) week in Mazatlan, Mexcico in January of 2010.  It was one of my best holidays EVER.  I stayed in a delightful little hotel called La Siesta which was on the waterfront in the central part of town.(known as centro) overlooking the ocean.   I walked around the town photographing buildings, ocean views, dogs....visited the Mercado, attended a fantastic Flamenco dance performance in the restored Teatro (theatre), toasted the sunset with a beer from my balcony every evening and ate at some wonderful restaurants.  I also took a couple of day trips which were okay but my time in Mazatlan overshadowed anything else I did. My one foray into the Gold (tourist) Zone left me horrified and scampering back to my beloved Centro.  And did I mention I did this as a solo trip?  Mexico has had a lot of bad press lately and while there ARE bad things going on there I still believe the average...

Cowboys and Outlaws in the Big Muddy of Saskatchewan

One of the (very) few advantages of being stuck at home during this pandemic has been an opportunity to see more of my home province of Saskatchewan.  Last summer and fall not only did I do a couple of day trips with friends but I took four day tours with Engelheim transport, a local Regina company.   I have to admit my favourite day out was the "Big Muddy Valley and Outlaws" tour. While I had been to the Big Muddy previously many years back I was eager to revisit and learn more of its history.   So in early October, I hopped on board and off we went.  The bus is only booked to half capacity so it was easy to social distance, hand gel was a must each time we boarded the bus,  masks were required when you got on and off the bus and in any buildings we visited.  I felt totally safe and oh my, it was so good to have an adventure!!  Despite the name the Big Muddy isn't a big huge puddle of mud but a valley of badlands that were formed from a glac...