Skip to main content

A bit of bliss in Mirissa, Sri Lanka

While I enjoyed my tour of Sri Lanka I also found it exhausting.  It was nothing against the tour - it hit all the spots I wanted to see and the tour leader was fabulous as were (most of) my tour mates.  I would highly recommend anyone take the Sri Lanka Encompassed tour with G Adventures for an overview of the country.  It's just that I find the constant movement and change of hotel rooms tiring as well as being in a group.  As an introvert I find groups exhausting which is why I always opt for a single room.  It costs more but it also saves my sanity.  I can happily socialize but at the end of the day I retreat to my room with a sigh of relief.   I guess it's all part of the aging process or just my many years of travel experience but I much prefer slow travel these days.  I like to settle into a room, unpack and take my time exploring a place. And no I don't mean staying in an all inclusive or taking a cruise - I have been there, done that for both and I know that just does not make me a happy traveler at all.  I am saving those trips for my 80's!  

Anyway where was I going with this...after the tour I wanted to stay on for a few days and when researching a few places I came across the Peacock Villa in Mirissa on the south coast of Sri Lanka.  The tour had ended at a hotel further south but the cost of the extra nights accommodation was out of my budget.  On the last morning of the tour I got dropped off at the villa by my guide Sam who was driving home in his own car - that was so kind of him.  I was greeted by the friendly owners and with a yummy creamy iced coffee drink.   My room was big and had everything I needed but the thing that I loved most was the big beautiful balcony.  I spent many an hour on there reading or mostly just staring out into the trees thinking how very lucky I was to be able to be there.  

Each morning I was woken by peacocks which was fantastic - okay if it had been a daily occurrence it would get old really fast (they are NOISY) but because it was so exotic I loved it.  




I've seen plenty of peacocks in my time but these were totally wild and made the choice to perch on the trees outside my balcony.  Thanks guys! 

Oh yes there were monkeys as well...the problem was they only appeared the first day I was there.  I made sure I guarded any unmentionables I was hanging out to dry on the balcony and left NOTHING out for them to scarper off with - even though I couldn't see them I knew they were hanging around just waiting for an opportunity.  I have a love/hate relationship with monkeys.  Yes they can be cute but they are pests and can be nasty as well.  



This monkey was hanging out on the balcony next to me.  The woman staying there kept shrieking her head off but they fed it - and then went out and left all their laundry, etc. on the balcony.  Duh!  



This is the front of the Peacock Villa -  all rooms have a balcony facing the back. 


And this was mine!!!  There was a stream below and I saw many monitor lizards hanging around.  Luckily I didn't see any snakes but I am sure they were there...they were mentioned in a Trip Advisor review.  I appreciated being high up! 

I nearly always took the shortcut over to the main drag and onwards to the beach...it was quite pretty although you needed a flashlight/torch if you wanted to come back this way at night.  




Once I reached the main road however it was chaotic.  It is the main highway south with buses and huge trucks roaring through at top speed.  In order to get to the beach you had to cross it and believe me, it was nerve wracking at times. 

IT WAS TOTALLY WORTH IT THOUGH!!!!  








It was a beautiful beach I must say...


This is my favourite beach side activity.  I developed quite a taste for Lion beer. Now I am more a wine kinda gal but I do like a mild beer and this one hit the spot...in fact I had my fair share of Lion beer on this trip!  I wouldn't touch it at home and I am sure it wouldn't taste the same if I did.  There is something about being on holiday, the hot sun, the beach that just makes beer taste that much better for me.  

Normally on the way back to the Villa I would take the short cut back but a couple of times I went the long way as there were restaurants I could pop into for my evening meal.  



No words....





This dog looks sad I know but he was well fed.  He was one of the community dogs that are looked after by local shop keepers and residents.  I will be doing a post on those dogs shortly.  That's not to say there aren't starving abused dogs but I really didn't see any unlike North India where I was constantly in tears over the sight of starving flea ridden dogs. 

Speaking of dogs...Peacock Villa has a resident dog.  Meet Simba!!! 


He did get out for walks, no worries but while his owners worked he had to be restrained.  I wish I could have taken him for a walk but he was pretty boistorous....

I only had three full days there - not long enough and one was spent on a day trip to Galle (that's another post).  I spent my days on the balcony reading and daydreaming, wandering over to the beach and walking up and down the side of the busy road looking into shops. I loved every minute! 

I had four nights at the Peacock Villa and when my driver arrived to take me to Colombo airport for my flight to India I had tears in my eyes and a big lump in my throat.  Will I return?  Who knows...it's doubtful but never say never!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more