Skip to main content

A small taste of Spring in Victoria - the last bit

After having two busy days walking around the downtown Victoria and Oak Bay as well as in Sidney  I was ready for a break from walking when I woke up on Tuesday morning.  I wasn't feeling in rough shape; I just wanted to do something else. 

I headed over to the nearly Royal B.C.Museum wherel I saw the IMAX production of "Great Bear Rainforest: Land of the Spirit Bear".  It was a beautiful film featuring the white Kermode bear which is a subspecies of the black bear.  The white fur comes from a recessive gene that both parents must have.  So beautiful!  It also highlighted other animals in the region and I thoroughly enjoyed myself.  

Then it was time to explore the museum...I hadn't been in quite a few years and it had changed quite a bit.  As usual, my favourite parts were the totem poles.  




Then it was time to head downtown and do a bit of retail therapy. 



I love this view of the harbour. 



A statue of Captain James Cook who in 1778, was the first Englishman to set foot on what is now Vancouver Island.  



I had to have fish and chips at Red Fish, Blue Fish and it was delish.  A cheeky seagull sat on the board and sneakily slid over closer every couple of minutes.  I told him "I know what you're up to buddy".  He got a little too close, I flapped my hands at him and he slid under them and stole my coleslaw.  I had to admire his moves but he should have gone for the fish.  Amateur!!!  



This was my beautiful view while eating and no that's not the guilty party...



This one is!  He looks like he wants to go on the seaplane - me too buddy, me too but unfortunately the budget didn't run to that this time. 



WHAT??  You had fish and chips and then a cream tea?  PIG!!  Actually, there was quite a gap of me looking in the shops (I got a new bathing suit for my aquasize class...you would think trying that on would stop me eating more but...)and having this...although maybe not as long as it would be for some people.  I had a very light breakfast in my room and that's the truth.  



I love the Murchies tea room with its many goodies but inevitably I seem to always go for the cream tea when I am there - then again it had been 8 years!.  I really need to snag a house/petsitting job for a longer time so I can sample the other goodies as well. 



Even though it was a "rest" day I did put in lots of steps so I slowly headed back to the room for a restful evening.   I stopped to take some quick pictures at Thunderbird Park, outside of the Royal B.C. Museum. 



As you can see the blossoms were just starting to come out.  I stopped at the Birdcage confectionary shop on the way back to get a mint tea which seemed to be my daily habit.  

I must admit I was starting to get a bit travel weary...8 weeks away and I travel weary?  Lightweight!  I think all the walking was getting to me even though Thelma seemed okay with it.  I just wanted to be home.  That is worrying. 

After a good rest I woke up the next morning ready to make a full day of it - this was my last full day in British Columbia and I wanted to explore.  The sun had kind of disappeared but that was okay...I had my rain gear but as it turned out it never did rain while I was out and about.  

I headed off to Esquimalt by bus; once again getting the handy five dollar day pass.  The place to sign in for the first walk was beside the Tillicum Mall so quite a few buses went there.  I headed off on the 5 km walk and was pleased that it was going to a place I'd seen on the bus ride - the Gorge Waterway walk.





I absolutely LOVED this sculpture that was beside the path - description and more detailed photos below...






The scenery wasn't bad either and even though the sun wasn't shining I did love the light and I think it made for some good photographs.  





The Japanese garden was lovely and I wish I could have sat and enjoyed it but I wanted to get this walk done as I wasn't finished for the day by a long shot..



I started talking to a woman who was walking her son's dog - once she heard I was a pet sitter she asked for my card.  Sadly I don't have any but gave her my email address.  Whether I will ever hear from her is another matter but I guess I really should get some business cards done...it would be handy to hand out to people when I am out and about.  

When the walk was finished I headed to a nearby coffee shop for a cappuccino and a bit of a rest before hopping on the bus to my next walk.  Thank you google maps - I was lucky that I only had to take one bus.  Another sign in at a recreation centre and I was off on the next 5 km walk - this one took me through a residential area for a short time and then to an oceanside path!  





I felt like I was back in Newfoundland while walking this part of the trail! 




A short dip inland through a residential neighbourhood and here was one of the lovely tiny libraries. Adorable!  I resisted peering in as my luggage was heavy enough! 





There were not many others on the trail but I felt perfectly safe.  

The end of the walk was through a residential area again and by then I was getting a bit tired - and hungry.  Back at the recreation centre I sat and rested in one of their comfy chairs for a bit before heading off on the bus back downtown.  I was craving seafood pasta so was madly googling "best seafood pasta in Victoria" on my phone.  And oh boy did I get it!  



Behold Pagliacci's "Sophia" seafood pasta.  They have SEVEN different kinds of seafood pasta.  This one had Dungeness and rock crab, shrimp, smoked salmon with pine nuts in a white wine cream sauce.  It also came with Caesar salad and strips of focaccia bread.  I sound like a restaurant critic but honestly, I am drooling just describing it.  It was definitely one of the best meals of my trip and a great way to celebrate my last day.  What can I say..I live on the prairies so when there is an opportunity to have fresh seafood I go for it! 

I staggered back to my room and started attempting to pack - it was hard to bend over with my full but very happy tummy.   I had walked over 10 miles that day so I wasn't feeling the least bit guilty.  

The next morning dawned sunny and bright so after another my usual banana and pastry breakfast and a cup of free coffee from the downstairs lobby I headed over to the Dallas road path for one last ocean fix.  






And then it was time to get back to the hotel and check out...I got the shuttle to the airport and all too soon I was on the plane heading over to Vancouver where I would board my next flight heading east to my home. 



What a wonderful eight weeks it was - full of beautiful walks, time with friends, adventures and good food.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more