Skip to main content

Vikings and a cathedral at Roskilde

One of the things I wanted to do in Denmark was to visit the Viking Ship Museum in Roskilde.  When Berit told me that Claudia wanted to see the museum and would I be okay with going there I nearly started jumping with joy.  In case you haven't guessed by now I am a little obsessed with Vikings.  

Roskilde which is one of Denmark's oldest cities is just over an hour's drive from Bisserup.  Our first stop was the museum.   I had planned to treat the three of us to the admission but...yep you guessed it...my credit card did not work.  Claudia saved the day and paid for it. Embarrassing!  Foolishly I had left my back up Visa card back at the flat.  




There were newly made boats but the originals were in the building ahead. 




Like this one! 


Or these! 




I had to pose for one - wearing my Newfoundland Viking Trail t-shirt of course! 



We even got to go on a Viking ship with a screen in the background that made us think we were sailing off in stormy weather! 



King and Queen chess pieces found on the Isle of Lewis in Scotland.  Made from Walrus Ivory sometime between 1150 - 1200.  Isn't it amazing how they know this?




The Chess board? 



Now I 'm going to tell you a story boys and girls.  If you are squeamish just keep scrolling.  I was so shocked by what I read I had to write it in my journal.  Okay here goes... During the Viking period when an important man died he was laid in his boat with 11 cut-up stallions (usually his own), cut-up dogs (nooooo!!!!) and a young woman (I assume a virgin) who was repeatedly raped by a dozen or so men.  Then this poor woman was strangled by a specially appointed woman and put in with him.  Then the whole thing was buried or in early days it was set alight on the water.  Talk about gruesome and awful.  That is according to our modern standards; back then it was a very different kind of life. 






There is a working shipyard that builds Nordic boats that have been built the exact way the Vikings built their boats and museum guests can get boat trips out on the water on them.   There is always a "play area" for kids of all ages to try their hand at Viking craftmanship.  The cafe looked wonderful (but expensive) so we just got some cold drinks and sat down for a while before heading the short distance over to Roskilde Cathedral. 


Roskilde Cathedral is the most important church in Denmark.  This Lutheran cathedral is the official burial place of the Danish Royal Family as well as a World Heritage Site. It was built in the 12th and 13th centuries.  




Here is one of the Royal burial chambers.  We saw where Queen Margrethe will be buried however it is covered right now and won't be unveiled until she is interred.  Interesting fact: when her husband Prince Henrik died he was cremated and his ashes scattered over water and in the grounds of Fredensborg Castle outside of Copenhagen.  Why?  He felt he should have been granted the title of King and not just considered a Prince. He requested that he not be buried with the Queen because of this insult to him. 






As you can see it is a beautiful place.  



This is a 15th century clock and when the bell strikes on the hour Saint George kills the dragon which lets out a loud wail.  We did see it go off and somewhere I do believe I have a video of it.  If I find it I will put it on my Facebook page. 

After we left the cathedral we decided to grab something to eat for a late (late) lunch.  What I didn't mention was that it was National Constitution Day in Denmark as well as the day of the election.  Open restaurants were few and far between but we did find a bakery type place in the main square.   

Back at Berit's we had a German cold drink called Spezi.  You can buy it bottled or make it - it is a combination of orange pop and cola and it is delicious!  Every time I drink it when I am in Germany I think to myself "I should make this at home" and I never do.  That's it, I will try it this summer - sounds like a nice drink on ice for the balcony!  Fun fact:  Berit's husband Alfred is German and Berit lived in Berlin for many years which is where she met Alfred.  Despite this they kindly spoke English most of the time so I could understand! 

While Alfred fixed us supper the three of us sat outside.  Later we enjoyed delicious pork, rice and veggie meal with an excellent Riesling.  

Claudia and I toddled back "home" with full bellies and I crashed immediately. 

What a good day we had!  

Roskilde is easily reached via a half hour train ride from Copenhagen and is well worth the trip!  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more