Skip to main content

Happy Midsommar - my last day in Helsinki

My fourth and last day in Helsinki dawned and being June 21st it was Midsommer.  I was knackered from three busy days so I had a pretty relaxing morning sitting on the balcony with Ani drinking coffee and setting the world to rights.  Ani then walked me over to the seaside park and promenade near her flat so I wandered a bit and sat on a bench by the sea for a half hour or so.  It wasn't the most exciting seaside promenade I've been on but better than what I've got at home!  I love any opportunity to be by the sea. 






I don't think I've ever seen a swan by saltwater.  There was a decent beach if I'd been so inclined...I wasn't.  

I popped into the nearby convenience store and got a 24-hour transport pass as my three-day pass had run out.  Back onto the metro to the Kallio station and then hopped on a tram to get to the Hakaniemen market.   I had a quick trip through the market planning to come back later to "get serious" about shopping. 




I grabbed a couple of shots of the outside market before heading over to try and find the famous "Bear on the Anthill" statue.  The bear is Finland's national symbol.  



Digging for ants!!! 



I then walked over to the Kallio church which sits on a hill (gasp, gasp!) and can be seen throughout the city.  Four of the church's four bells play a Sibelius (remember him?) composition daily at noon and 6 p.m.  I missed the noon one and wasn't going to stick around until 6 p.m.  


This was as close as I got...I was done with churches!!!  It is a Lutheran church and was opened in 1912. 

I stopped at a cute Italian restaurant and had cannelloni for (late) lunch then headed back to the market.  It was closed!!!  The outdoor vendors were starting to close up but I did manage get a tub of strawberries. 

Then it was back on the metro...sparkling clean! (but not as much character as my beloved London Tube!) 



Beng a sentimental old fool I had to document what I saw on my last walk from the metro - I knew the next morning I would be too burdened with luggage to bother...


No traffic lights around this area so I assume they are some kind of electrical units.  Adorable!! 



This was the sidewalk which was for both pedestrians and cyclists. As in other Scandinavian countries cycling is popular here. 



Ani's building is on the left.  There was a cluster of apartment buildings in this area which is in the Southeast part of Helsinki and is a recently (late 80's into 90's) developed part of Herttoniemi. 

Normally for Midsommer, there are loads of bonfires but many were banned because of the dry weather.  I wasn't bothered;  I am just not into huge crowds anymore - old age I guess.  So I opted to celebrate with a sauna in Ani's bathroom.  Yes, like any good Finn she has a sauna attached to her bathroom. Apparently, it is unusual if you DON'T have a sauna in your bathroom! I lasted 15 minutes!!!  Hot!!!  But I am glad I had the opportunity to try it. It was a fun way to end my time in Helsinki. 

I then grabbed my last drink from the fridge and enjoyed my last evening on the balcony enjoying the beautiful view for the last time.  Ani joined me for a bit but her American crime shows were calling!!!  




Cloudberry cider!! 


\

The picture above was taken about 11 p.m.  

I thoroughly enjoyed my time in Helsinki.  There are a few things I missed but for the most part I feel satisfied with how much I saw there.  Still...something appeals to me about visiting the Scandinavian cities in the winter.  Who knows... I might be back!!!  

Next stop...Tallinn, Estonia!!!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more