Skip to main content

A magical Birthday in London

Celebrating a birthday in London was one of those things I dreamed about doing one day.  Only there was a problem! My birthday is in mid-July; a time when I usually want to be at home.  I am not a fan of crowds (now that I'm old) and let's face it; July is crowded in most tourist spots around the world.  I also enjoy every moment of our short summer season on the prairies. Yep, summer is home time.  

Last year however I decided to stay on after my cousin flew home from England after our three weeks bopping around the UK. I explored Scandinavia during June (Land of the Midnight Sun and all) and mid-July was only a few weeks after that... My friend Judi who lives on the south coast of England celebrates her birthday a few days before me and we always talked of celebrating our birthdays together.  July was the only month I hadn't been in the UK so I needed to fix that too!  Okay my mind was made up - I would have my birthday in London! 

So that's how I found myself waking up on the morning of July 17th in London.  I lay in bed smiling - I just knew it was going to be a great day!  

My homestay host and friend Claudia had made me an orange cake with a topping of melted milk chocolate (chocolate and orange is my favourite combination!) and I had posed with it the evening before.  


Yes I was 67 years old.  Hey, I'm old but I wouldn't have it any other way.  I grew up with the best music ever and when kids were kids and played outside all day long. In fact I wish I was about three years older so I could have hung out outside EMI studios when the Beatles were recording back in the late 60's.  Alas I was too young and had no money then.  


Yes, the three of us had chocolate cake for breakfast!  The three of us meaning Claudia, Linda and myself.  My Oz buddy Linda (who I met at Claudia's homestay in 2018)  had flown into London a couple of days previously as a complete surprise.  She decided not to explore overcrowded Amsterdam and to fly back to London instead as she is a London fanatic too and hey, she could help me celebrate my birthday.  What a wonderful surprise as our schedules weren't jiving on this 2019 trip and I thought I wouldn't get to see her on this trip which was a disappointment.  So yay - a bonus!   

After breakfast I jumped on the train to Victoria station and from there I walked over to St James's Park - my absolutely favourite place in London (and I guess that makes it my favourite place in the world!).  I fell in love with that park on my first visit in 1975 and I don't feel I am in London until that first visit to see "James".  It was a gorgeous day and I slowly made my way around the park - lingering for a couple of hours which was a first.  








Above is Duck Cottage and Gardens which was built in 1841 as a home for the park's bird keeper.  It is now the head office of the London Historic Parks and Garden Trust.  Birds have been kept here since 1612 when King James I began converting it into a garden.  Birdlife thrived here despite the presence of two crocodiles in the garden!!!  (luckily no such creatures lurk here anymore) 


St James's Park has six resident pelicans.  Above are Sun, Moon and Star who are recent residents.  When this picture was taken they had only been around a few weeks.   


And here are Isla, Tiffany and Gargi the current long time residents keeping a distance away from "those new youngsters".  Apparently, they are all great friends now. They are all free to leave but they prefer to hang around as they do get fed every afternoon as well as eating fish from the lake.  I once saw one of the pelicans eating a live pigeon - not a pleasant sight and I haven't felt quite the same about them since then!  There have been pelicans in St James' Park since 1664 when the Russian Ambassador gifted some to the park.  


Time to treat myself to a flat white coffee at the Tea room in St James's Park and catch up on my journal on the deck outside. 




After a couple of hours I headed out of the park and walked over to the Horseguards. 


A female Horse Guard! 


Unfortunately, the Horse Guards now need protection by armed police carrying high powered rifles.  This started after the attacks on the unarmed soldiers guarding the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Ottawa. 


I walked over to Trafalgar Square and couldn't resist taking this photo of some iconic London sights.  This was a day of "all my favourite things".  



The sculpture on the fourth plinth changes every few years with an art installation.  This was installed in 2018 and is a replica of the Lamassu which once stood in Iraq but was destroyed by ISIS (Daesh) in 2015.  The sculpture was set to change in March 2020 and was to depict a swirl of cream with a cherry, a fly and a drone on top.  Alrighty then. St Martin's church on the right is a favourite.  They have a lovely cafe in the crypt downstairs (and free loos even if you don't eat a thing - you can still sneak in!) and they host great concerts in the church.  


After walking through Trafalgar Square I hopped a number 15 bus to the City. 



This is the gorgeous entrance to the Garden at 120. (Fenchurch St) 


This scenic garden with a great view is free and you don't need to book.  Linda told me about this and I really enjoyed my time there.  (thanks Linda!)  I wandered around checking out the views and sat and relaxed.  Above is my building crush - St Mary Axe which is better known as The Gherkin. To me it symbolizes modern London.  I love my London so much - old AND new! 





And here's the Walkie Talkie building - I don't even know its real name!  The open area on the right side is where the Sky Garden is.  This is a beautiful viewpoint that is absolutely free but you generally have to book ahead.  I've never paid the eye-watering price for The Shard (tallest building in Europe) but just book the Sky Garden instead. 



An example of old and new.  


I absolutely love this.  Samuel Pepys was a gem.  He wrote extensive diaries during his lifetime and he lived through very tumultuous times in London including the Great Fire in 1666. 

I went into the Hung, Drawn and Quartered Pub which was just down the street from the Tower of London.  I was hot and decided as my day was far from over I should stick to coke and a bag of crisps (potato chips).  For the salt and sugar you know!! 


Charming!!!  

I can't believe I didn't take a picture of the pub but I was so desperate for a cold drink I barreled into the pub without stopping. (except for taking the picture of the quote on the side of the building)  

I was knackered but what a great day but it wasn't over yet!  Time to head back to Streatham and rest up for the evening ahead.  

Once I was rested, showered and dressed the group of six of us (including Claudia, her family and Linda) headed off on the train and tube to Soho.  Our destination?  Eat Tokyo for Japanese food!  This is a very popular restaurant - reservations are a must!  


My favourite is Tempura. 

Then it was back to the house for wine in the back garden. 

What a wonderful day I had!! 

If that wasn't enough two days later I flew to Ontario and got to have a double celebration with my sister whose birthday is five days after mine. (I was actually due on her sixth birthday but jumped the gun a bit)  My niece treated us both to a beautiful meal in Toronto and Colleen and I spent her birthday on Toronto Island.

What a fantastic birthday!!!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more