Skip to main content

Ten of my favourite things about the Isle of Wight

I have to admit it..I fell in love with the Isle of Wight. In case you are not familiar, the Isle of Wight lies off the south west coast of England.  I had so many people tell me a week was too long but in the end, I wish I had scheduled more time there.  I will be writing up more detailed posts on the places I visited but here's an overview on my ten favourite things about this delightful island..but there are so many more and these aren't in any kind of order.  

1)  They use an out of service London Underground  train for their train service

I mean really...how cute is that.  The service runs from Ryde Pier Head (where I arrived via high speed ferry from Portsmouth) to Shanklin (where I stayed) - a distance of 13.7 km.  




2)  More thatched cottages than you can shake a stick at 

I couldn't get over how many thatched cottages they are...everywhere!  A local told me that there are more on the Isle of Wight than everywhere else in Britain. I don't know if this is true but it could be!  





3)  Beautiful Beaches! 

Need I say more?  






4)  Cream Teas! 

I saw more teas on the Isle of Wight than anywhere else...I was there a week and only indulged once.  How sad is that.  But it was a chocolate one which was a first for me...chocolate chip scones with a chocolate spread instead of jam and a 99 stick in the cream.  I was transported to heaven for the few minutes it took me to demolish it!  (P.S.  you can get it in the village of Godshill.....)  



5)  Donkeys!!! 

Oh how I love donkeys.  I don't like horses but oh how I do love donkeys....  So when I heard there was a donkey sanctuary on the IOW (as those who know the island say) I went there...on the first morning!  I was almost the only one there and it was hard to leave.  SO ADORABLE!!!  Don't worry donkey lovers...I will be doing a post on my visit to the Sanctuary! 





And we mustn't forget Jack the donkey at Carisbrooke Castle...there is a 16th century well and back in the day donkeys drew the water...so meet Jack who now does the demo once a day for a couple of minutes - if he feels like it!  I will be writing about the castle in the future. 



6)  The bus service 

The IOW has a wonderful network of buses that take you all over the island.  For 24 pounds I got a 7-day pass and I went all over the place.  I love public transport as you get to meet all sorts of people going about their daily lives.  Okay a car has its uses too and it can get you to places you can't get to with a bus but when you travel on a budget like I do the bus works just fine.  And they have double-decker buses as well! 



7)  The walks

IOW is a walkers paradise.  I wish I had more time to do more walks but there was just so much to see.  I did walk along the promenade from Sandown to Shanklin but you need an extra week to go walking on top of a week to sightsee!  Only when you are on a trail do you really see the views. Next time I will walk to Ventnor and visit Steephill Cove.  




The three photos above were taken on the seaside trail between Sandown and Shanklin. 


This was taken from the bus - I had just seen walkers along here and was so jealous.  Next time! 

8)  Osborne House (home of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert) 

I loved Osborne House (and yes, a bus stops right outside the main gates) and while I didn't visit it on the best of days weatherwise it was still so beautiful.  I would definitely revisit it when I next return just because I loved it so much and hopefully on a sunny day next time. I was so impressed I even bought the guidebook!  There will definitely be a post on this place coming up.  





  9)  The Needles and Alum Bay 

This is probably the most visited attraction on the island and well worth it.  I had visited previously on a day trip from London back in 1986 but of course I had to visit again.  Loved the chair lift trip up and back (though you can walk if you choose - I chose NOT to!) and the boat trip out to see The Needles.  




These are the Needles - don't worry there will be a post with more info and LOTS of pictures.


These are the gorgeous colours of Alum Bay.  

10)  The gorgeous Victorian town of Ryde


This is the pier and yes, the train trundles along here as well as cars - and pedestrians.  So of course I had to walk out here to get a view back towards town. 


I loved the main street with the colourful shops...I arrived fairly late in the day as the shops were closing.  Next time! 


I spent most of my time in Ryde walking along the sea path - here is the Appley Tower which is a folly. (an ornamental building or tower with no purpose)  


And it goes without saying that Ryde has beaches!  

It was hard to pick ten things - I just love this place and it is definitely on my "must go back" list - sooner than later hopefully.  Next time I hope to do more walking!

I stayed at the Swiss Cottage bed and breakfast in Shanklin and I loved it.  Being as I was there in late April/early May I was the only guest most of the time.  It is a five minute walk to the sea, five minutes to the main shops and about a ten minute walk to the Railway station. (longer if you get misplaced like I did on the way back to the train station - maybe it was my subconscious mind because I really didn't want to leave but plans in London awaited...) 

For more information on the Isle of Wight click here.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more