Skip to main content

A winter in Vancouver - Week One

Well it's been over a week since I arrived in Vancouver - one week and two days to be precise.  I am house sitting for seven weeks here in Burnaby for an old family friend.  When he saw my request ("plea") for a petsit in Vancouver or Victoria he came to my rescue.  He and his wife (not using names or pictures of where I am living until I am home - you never know, I might have my very own personal stalker!) were off on a seven week trip to the U.S.  - would I be interested in looking after their house.  Hell, yeah!  The bonus: no pets to worry about.  Now don't get me wrong - I LOVE animals especially dogs but they do tie you down.  Anyway things were arranged and I arrived on Wednesday January 9th and got met at the airport no less.  I am not used to such luxuries!  We headed to Steveston where we had Japanese food.  Not a particular favourite of mine truth be told but it was good(ish).  

Home is in a lovely complex with streams and loads of lush greenery - so pretty! I almost feel like I am in Hawaii when I look out the window - that is until I actually walk outside!  That said it sure beats winter in Saskatchewan.  I mean, let's face it I'd rather be roaming around SE Asia than be here but needs must - the travel budget didn't stretch to that this winter.  And I am perfectly happy and content here.  

The first full day here we walked around the complex and learned where the recycling goes - my goodness, it is complicated.  I recycle at home but we throw everything in together (except glass and bottle returns) and it is sorted by the company.  There is the addition of compost as well.  A trip to the grocery store was next so I could lay in some supplies and of course they had things left behind for me to finish up as well.  We then headed out for a walk over to the Sky train station where I purchased a one month seniors transit pass for $54. What a deal! It is only good until the end of January rather than 31 days from when I got it but I still will get my money's worth.  From there we walked over to the library as I was given the loan of a library card - I got one book out.  Exciting!  We came back here for lunch I then walked over to the nearby mall on my own so that I could get the lay of the land without being guided.  Of course the lure of purple drew me in - yes they have a Purdy's chocolate store in that mall.  Sigh....and they were having a sale of small Santa Claus blocks of milk chocolate.(normal chocolate bar size)  Buy one, get two free - I mean really...what self respecting chocoholic would walk past that one. They were practically throwing them out to people.  I am proud to announce that I restrained myself and ate one every other day.  

One of my goals on this trip is to walk most of or all of the Volkssport walks in the lower mainland.  Friday, we drove over to Mundy Park and walked...such a lovely park.  The weather was a bit overcast but no rain and the mist over the lake was wonderful.  A great walk!!!  








As you can see it is a beautiful walk and one I must might do again - on a sunny day!!

Later that afternoon we headed up to Burnaby Mountain for the spectacular views...






Then it was on to Ground Zero for the Kinder Morgan pipeline protest...to a Watch house (Kwekwecnewtwx - which means a place to watch from) constructed by the local Indigenous population.  The controversial pipeline will cross protected lands and bring many huge tankers to the coastline endangering the lives and sustainability of sea life in the area.   It has been protested by First Nations groups, the City of Burnaby, the City of Vancouver and the province of British Columbia. 




The next day the house owners were off and so was I...off on the Skytrain to Port Moody which isn't far from where I am.  I skipped breakfast, instead enjoying a coffee and Morning Glory muffin at one of what I hope is many more coffee shops on this trip. The walk started off in an ecological park and carried on by the water going into Old Orchard Park and then back to Rocky Point on a different path.  As I got there in the morning some of those boardwalks were a bit slippery.  I nearly did an "oopsy daisy" on one but caught myself - phew!  After that I slithered along like a 97 year old which isn't too hard for me to do.  



No, I did not like this one little bit....








Token dog photo 



Yeeks...another one! 




I ended up sitting under a shelter on the pier - ah, to be able to sit down at last.  All the benches along the route had been drenched with condensation.  However it was a very enjoyable walk and one I would do again - despite those scary board walks!! I think a return to Port Moody is on the agenda at some point - especially as I walked past a shop called "Tea and Paper".  Now that's my kind of place!  

Sunday morning I decided to head to New Westminster to do the 5 km and peruse the market.  I love markets! 

First up was this poignant sculpture called "Wait for Me Daddy" taken from the photo by Claude B Dettloff of little Warren Bernard running towards his dad who was marching with his unit down 8th Street in New Westminster to their waiting ship to take them overseas to fight in World War II.  




Time to head down to the quay where I saw the world's largest Tin Soldier.  




So there you go...now you've seen it too! 


As if that excitement wasn't enough there was a dog on a swing - a first for me too.  



Due to construction I had to detour through a parking lot to get to the Westminster Pier Park....


I have to say this wasn't my favourite walk and the market was very disappointing compared to others I've seen.  However I always give everything a second chance which is sometimes a good idea, sometimes not.  I will likely go back as there's a restaurant there I would like to try and it's not far from me.  

The next morning I met my walking friends Verni and Connie at a bus stop outside Burrard station.  I got there a bit too early and didn't fancy waiting in the cold so popped into a coffee shop to use the loo. (and buy a muffin for tomorrow's breakfast)  This was a cyclist cafe (but open to everyone of course) and was so cool!  We are talking hard core cyclists - you know the ones who wear lycra.  They were allowed to leave their bikes inside the cafe as well.  So I sat in the warmth waiting for my friends and checking out the lycra clad guys...as you do...



I met up with my friends and we were off...walking along English Bay as far as Second Beach before turning back.  It was beautiful and sunny on the way out with a mist in the distance and on the way back we were surrounded by it.  What a beautiful walk!!!  



So I got to see palm trees this winter after all!  




I love all these rocks! 


A big beautiful Inuksuk!


Now the mist is rolling in...


And more...



These guys didn't get the memo that it's only January.  However everyone I talk to here seems to think that winter is almost over.  If snow hasn't happened by now it won't happen.  Really?  Where I come from winter is rubbing its hands in glee saying "oh boy, now let's get started".   

After our walk I got to Staples and was able to finally get a mouse for my laptop. Bonus time: they had mislabeled it and I got it for the posted price of $14.99 instead of the real price of $39.99. (which I  never would have paid) I had picked up one at a price more than what I wanted to pay and was a boring blue - I found a rack of snazzy ones (this is turquoise with a black swirly design on it) and couldn't believe my luck.  $14.99.  Wow!  Ha, ha..I was lucky.  The mouse to my PC finally died and I decided to just use the mouse for the laptop as I usually only use it for travel.  Well silly me remembered the mouse but not the USB that controls the mouse - that is still plugged into the PC at home!  With that kind of deal I can't complain.  I was feeling tired so headed back here.  Part of me wants to go, go, go but I know deep down I can't do that anymore and I've still got loads of time to do everything I want to do.  

Tuesday morning I decided to head over to West Vancouver to do one of the Ambleside 5k walks - I love this part of the city and spent many happy hours here previously - on my own and with a good friend I used to visit back in the early 2000's. (she lives back home again now)  I started off in Memorial Park and instantly got "misplaced" due to...well my skill at doing so and a pedestrian bridge being out.  A young lady out with her canine companion directed me to a path.  As I scrambled up the short steep path hanging on to branches hoping they would hold me and Thelma saying "WTH" woman I knew this definitely wasn't part of the route.  Being the Nosey Parker I am I decided to try and find out where I went wrong and found the correct path and of course went in from the opposite way and found the (broken) bridge I should have come over.  I then headed onward managing not to get misplaced again.  The walk went through the village of Dundarave with its quaint shops before heading over to the sea path.   


Wrong bridge! 


What kind of flower is this?  A snowdrop?  




This seagull was a poser....foggy in the background.  Freighters coming in were sounding their horns - all very romantic and dreamy!  I sat on a couple of benches and just stared at and dreamed. I do love the ocean - especially the Pacific! 





As you can see it was a beautiful walk.  I loved it.  After the walk I headed over to the West Vancouver library for a look around and a sit down - I have to visit every library I see.  This one was modern and well stocked - then again it IS in West Vancouver.  If you live there you aren't short a bob or two.  

Next up was the bus over to North Vancouver as I wanted to visit the Lonsdale Quay market.  Upon arriving I was just walking to the waterfront when I was accosted by a fellow wanting money - nothing unusual here but he wailed in my face and wouldn't leave me alone saying "I'm talking to you".  I kept saying I didn't have money only because I did not feel comfortable pulling my wallet out in front of him.  I've faced some aggressive ones but he was the worst and as he obviously had issues I wanted to get the hell away.  Finally I managed to get myself away and he continued on his noisy way accosting others. Sad.   

Anyway at the waterfront I managed to see another cooperative seagull and got this shot...


I love this market and I got busy buying food - bread, a small steak and mushroom pie (which I have had and wouldn't have again), a mini quiche and two containers of soup.  I took the Seabus over to downtown Vancouver which is always fun. That evening I had a bowl of the potato and smoked salmon soup which was delicious but while I certainly liked it, it most certainly did not like me and I could not go far that morning so had to cancel a walk with Verni and her group.  Of course I wasn't sure if that was the problem so I finished it up last night and ended up feeling sick to my stomach last night - enough that I canceled today's walk as well.  Fail!!  I won't be having that soup again - I hope the ham and bean soup I put in the freezer will agree with me! 

Sadly, Tuesday was my last walk and since then I've done a bit of grocery shopping, been to the library to get a haul of four books and yesterday I went to Metrotown, a huge shopping mall.  I have Swatch watches which I love.  Two of them had dead batteries and when in Edmonton last year I found out that I can get free batteries for life at Swatch stores...something we don't have in my hometown.  I had wanted to buy a new silicon strap for each which is on every Swatch now but back when I got these two it was plastic and they are a bit worse for wear.  No colours to match so guess I will try out other Swatch stores. I also went to see Mary Poppins Returns which I absolutely loved.  All the actors were great.  Colin Firth was hot as always, even if he did play a "baddie". 

Evenings are usually spent watching TV or reading and that is just fine with me. 

Next week will hopefully bring a day with my friend Darlene in Richmond, at least four walks, a trip to the Musuem of BC with a friend and another movie.  Stay tuned!!! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more