Skip to main content

Gallivanting around Guernsey - Part 4 - a visit to Castle Cornet

On March 27th I woke to a dull dank day but after another English breakfast (I had one every other day - otherwise I just had toast...just so you don't think I was a total pig) and a natter with my Bed and Breakfast hosts Colin and David I was ready to explore.  Today I decided to visit Castle Cornet.  Okay, the French would pronounce it "Cornay" but in the Channel Islands it is pronounced as it is spelled. 

Castle Cornet was built on an island off the coast early in the 13th century to defend Guernsey against the French.  Over the years it was captured by the French, then recaptured by the English, etc. and back and forth a couple of times.  During the reigns of Henry VIII and Elizabeth I fortifications were added to the castle to accommodate the recent invention of cannons.  Many additions and changes happened over the years due to skirmishes.  During the civil war Castle Cornet declared loyalty to the Crown despite the rest of Guernsey supporting Parliament so there was much damage on both sides caused by guns fired between St Peter Port and the castle. In 1672 the castle was hit by lightning killing the Governor's wife, mother and five other people.  After this incident, no Governor ever lived in the castle again.  In the 1860's a wooden bridge was constructed from the harbour to the castle and was replaced by a concrete structure following the Second World War.  During the German Occupation in the Second World War the castle was known as Stuzpunkt Hafenschloss (Strongpoint Harbour Castle) and housed German anti-aircraft units.  Modifications were also made to the castle to bring fortifications up to modern standards.  In 1947 King George VI gifted Castle Cornet to the residents of Guernsey. 



A view of the castle from the bridge 




A sad Canadian connection



I was able to catch a guided tour.  Now usually I forego these preferring to wander on my own but I am certainly glad I took this one.  The guide was entertaining and really knew his history - and bonus, there were just three of us.  After all who else is daft enough to tour a castle when it is windy and threatening rain?  As for all his anecdotes...sorry...while I enjoyed them at the time it's a case of in one ear and out the other.  There is just too much stored info in there to take much more - my official excuse. 




This garden was originally created by Major-General Sir John Lambert, a keen gardener who got on the wrong side of Charles II and was imprisoned at Cornet Castle from 1661 to 1670.  He was moved to Drake's Island where he died years later.  What a beautiful legacy. 







The tour was interesting but it started to rain so we weren't able to see everything.  I had a quick break in the cafe for tea and cake.  Don't judge - there are fantastic cakes in castle tea shops and that's a fact. (one that I have researched thoroughly)  






I stayed for the noon gun and was asked if I wanted my photo taken with the soldiers so I said "why not"?! 




It rained briefly and then the sun came out and the rest of the day was beautiful...




No I didn't walk all the way out there - it was windy and cold. 




While it wasn't the prettiest castle I have been in it was very interesting and I'm glad I visited.  

I decided to make a spur of the moment trip to Torteval Church - not to see the church but to see the sheep in the pasture beside it!   I know....it did make a pretty backdrop though.  I had passed it on the bus a few times and saw those lovely sheep....Even if I did take my life in my hands walking along the side of the road taking photos it was totally worth it...they drive fast on this island!  Nothing deters me in my quest for sheep (and Beatles!) 



The current Torteval church (or St Philippe de Torteval if you want to use its formal name) replaced the original church in 1816.  It has the tallest church spire on the island,  has the oldest bell in the Channel Islands (cast in France in 1432) and of course is very unique looking with the tower.  No, I didn't go inside - from pictures I've seen it looks very ordinary and I was more interested in the outside and the sheep as it made such a pretty picture. 




This was the bus stop which I thought was rather charming...



Not as charming as these two however..makes me think of Spring and flowers which I badly need on this dreary January day when I look outside and see too much damn snow! 



Proud mama 



How cute can you be? 




Another view of the bus stop



Mama with her newborn twins. 



Hmmm...interesting looking twins?  Who's your daddy?  

Then I headed into town to look for some dinner/supper whatever you want to call it - my evening meal.   I ended up going to an Italian restaurant and ordering pizza...meh......not even worth a picture!  

And that was day four in Guernsey!!!  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more