Skip to main content

A winter in Vancouver - week six

It's hard to believe I've finished week six and am heading into my final week in Vancouver.  Time has gone by so quickly and I've had so much fun.  There have been times when it hasn't been "fun" but that's okay - all part of living and traveling.  

Friday seems to be my "relaxing" day although it was Thursday last week.  This will be my last day to catch up with things on the trip as this time next week I will be heading over to Victoria for six nights and I don't plan to take a rest day there unless lack of good health or dire weather dictates it.  

So here we go....

Friday the 15th of February I headed south to Richmond once again to meet up with my friend Darlene for lunch.  Unfortunately Mairona had to cancel due to ill health.  We had lunch at White Spot (a chain of family type restaurants here in British Columbia - so good) and I had the most delicious toasted shrimp sandwich with caesar salad on the side.  I will spare you the photo...because I didn't take one. (I know...what came over me?) 

We then headed over to the monthly meeting of the genealogy club Darlene belongs to.  I found it interesting and gave me a shot in the you know where to get back at researching my roots. I was quite a keener back in the 90's and have dabbled on and off since then.  Recently I've been helping a friend find her roots - we have been to the library to use their Ancestry program and her excitement at seeing what were just names mentioned by the family coming to life for her has gotten me excited again about digging deeper.

Saturday saw me heading to Port Moody to explore the "tea and paper" shop there which was a bit on the disappointing side especially as the place stunk of strong soap and candles.  I didn't escape though without buying another journal - this one based on books!  I had coffee at an uninspiring coffee shop and then popped into the fish mongers where I purchased a tuna pot pie for my supper. (it was delish)  I wandered around and saw a couple of interesting local characters...




I had plans to wander more but was tired and just in a rather "down" mood.  Nothing serious but just a bit travel weary AND I was missing home.  Is that what they call homesickness?  I rarely get it.  Home is where I am that minute.  I spent a rather depressing evening not settling on anything I wanted to do. All part of life on the road; I expect it at some point.  We can't be "up" all the time. 

Sunday dawned and just like that the travel weariness was gone.  I was meeting Mairona (a friend of a friend who reads my blog) and her husband Wayne for lunch at a Turkish restaurant. Just before I left Darlene called to ask if I wanted to go to Spanish Banks afterwards for a walk.  Um...yeah!!!   I headed off early stopping in New Westminster on the way to have another look at the market - still not any more impressed than I was the first time.  On to the Turkish restaurant by skytrain and bus.  Lunch was food - the food and company were great.



Mairona and Wayne kindly drove me over to Spanish Banks where Darlene was waiting.  We walked for probably 40 minutes and it was wonderful....everyone and their dog was out and it was a lovely day.  We had originally thought that we would visit the Museum of Anthropology but there was a family day function going on there and the thought of hordes of screaming kids....nope, neither one of us wanted that.  




Downtown Vancouver across the water.  It was such a beautiful walk and just what I needed,  



 We then drove around the perimeter of the University of British Columbia (known as UBC) campus.  That brought back memories as I stayed in dorms there in 2004 for a walking convention and in 2011 AFTER a walking convention in Whistler.  We passed some very posh houses overlooking the water before heading into Richmond where we went to Costco.  I optimistically purchased some light weight t-shirts hoping to take them on my next trip but sadly they just don't fit the way I would like. Ah well, the slippers do!   

Monday was a holiday here...Family Day.  I think it is celebrated across most of Canada.  I decided to go and see the murals on Main Street.  They run from 16th Avenue right down to the Sky train by Science World.  I say "down" as in a hill so of course I took the bus up so I could walk down!  

I stopped in a coffee shop along the way and had planned to do more but somehow was always on the wrong side of the street or the place was too crowded. 







As you can see some of it was obscured with garbage cans etc. but that's why it's called street art.   I was lucky in that I chose to go on a holiday which meant that parking lots weren't as full as they would be during the week.  I will be doing a post on the murals of Main St. as they are just too many to put into this post.  

I then headed over to Lonsdale Quay market to get two more containers of soup from the Soupmeister - this time it was seafood chowder (delish!) and a Singapore style soup with chicken which I have yet to have.  Definitely recommend this place if you are ever at the market there.  

Tuesday was wet and miserable so I decided to do some "indoor" activities.  I headed over to the 5th Avenue Cinema to see "Bohemian Rhapsody" which was wonderful.  I have been wanting to see it for a while and finally was able to go.  The cinema wasn't the closest one to me by any stretch but it was playing at the right time for me.  Then off to New Balance to buy some new shoes for the next trip.  I usually only take two pairs of shoes on a trip - my black running shoes/trainers are my "dress" shoes.  That's the way I roll; comfort all the way. So I replaced those as well as buying a new pair of hikers in pale blue - probably not the best colour for hikers but I could not resist....they will match the Thames as I walk along it this Spring!  They will be shipping them home for me.  Then on to the Vancouver Art Gallery where I wanted to get in on the late night Tuesday admission by donation deal.  Well!!  The line was long and even though I got in on the first third of the line you had to go to the cashier and donate - and here I thought I could be a cheapo and slip my five bucks into a donation bin like you do in London.  I am not a fan of art but I had wanted to see the Emily Carr collection but didn't want to pay $20 for the privilege.  So I got out of the line and went to the gift shop where I perused a book of her paintings and bought two book marks with her art on.  Done!  I don't mind spending money on museums as I love history but not on art.  

Wednesday dawned sunny and bright so I decided today was the day to head over to Bowen Island.  I got the 257 Express to Horseshoe Bay, bought my return ticket from the machine and I was off.....



You can see Bowen Island ahead - it's only a twenty minute ferry ride.  Your return ticket is taken going over and no need for a ticket on the way back. 

After a light breakfast (if you can call a grilled croissant with egg, ham and cheese light...hey, it didn't come with hash browns) at the Snug Cafe I decided to head off and walk to Killarney Lake.  The path was icy in places but I carried on past Bridal Veil falls until I came to a steep hill covered in ice.  "Hmmm...probably not a good idea" and I turned around and headed back.  



I have walked this trail in the Spring and it is wonderful..I then wandered over to the Causeway to look out at Deep Bay.  




The pond on the other side of the causeway was frozen and the water fowl were having fun.

Then it was time to head over to the library to rest for a bit before carrying on to look in the shops.  I thought I would get some nice gifts but only a coaster...for me.  I had planned on taking the 5:10 ferry back but decided to take the earlier one which was at 2:55.  No 4 p.m. ferry on Wednesdays which would have been perfect.  I am glad I did this...but before leaving I walked along the board walk and walked along the beach.  





On the dock look out I started chatting with a young lady from Ireland who was here in Canada on a two year work visa.  She had come over on the noon ferry and was leaving already!  She loved it but guess two hours was long enough for her...and here I was feeling guilty at leaving so early. Ah well, I wasn't into hiking at that age either.  I joked that I would have to research good cat food for my old age as I was busy spending my retirement money on travel.  She replied "Ah,you're grand"!  Love the Irish! :)  On a warm Spring day I would have stayed much longer and of course if the path had been easier to navigate I'd have stayed on for the later ferry.  

Upon arrival back at Horseshoe Bay I headed to the Bay Moorings restaurant as I was on a mission.  My neighbour Gaylene who keeps an eye on my apartment while I am gone and collects my mail had mentioned her daughter worked there.  So I was hoping to see her and get a photo of her for her mom.  And I was successful!  I just caught her coming off her shift and was able to have a quick word and photo.  I stayed on for a drink and a meal.  It has a beautiful balcony which of course was closed but they seated me by the window so I was able to enjoy the view...


I remember sitting on this balcony sipping a peach cider on a warm Spring day a few years back...bliss!!!  

I caught the bus back to Park Royal where I hit the ATM, Whole Foods and then realized sunset was coming and going quickly.  I then headed to the beach path which seemed elusive as I couldn't find a path that led me there.  Finally I made it and sat and enjoyed the view on a log as I watched the final rays from the sunset.  



I hated to leave but thought a nice hot drink would be in order and was hoping I could go back to the Middle Eastern spot nearby and have the Saffron tea the owner had told me about.  Nope...they had just closed as had the coffee shop nearby.  Ah well.  I began the trek back...marveling at the lights along the Lions Gate Bridge and thinking "I walked over here!" - I will think that every time I go near the bridge now!!!   I settled for a cup of hot chocolate here when I got home.  What a fabulous day.  My fitbit indicated I had walked nearly 11 miles that day.

Thursday I woke up knowing I had walked nearly 11 miles the day before...oh boy.... Never mind, no time to rest because it was off for yet another adventure!  Today Verni and I were going to walk 5 km in Crescent Beach which is a beach community in southern Surrey.  Then we were going over to nearby White Rock for a meal.  When we planned the day originally we were going to meet up at a South Surrey park and ride but I decided that it sounded a bit dicey plus what if I needed a loo in the middle of nowhere. (sadly more and more a problem these days...too much information I know but we ladies of a certain age all experience it...) So we agreed to meet at City Hall-Broadway sky train station.  I stopped off at a coffee shop in the area, used the loo and bought a muffin (not in that order) to take with me and sat and waited because as usual I was way ahead of time.  While in Blenz coffee I noticed they were selling a "blue latte" so now I have added that to my list of "must do's" while here.  

We headed out on the sky train to Bridge port then onto a bus and then onto another bus.  It took forever to get there!  It was well worth it though.  We walked down to a walking path that led us to Blackie Spit where I dipped my hands in the ocean (I will spare you the photo; for my eyes only!!!) and we watched the bird life.  



Cheeky Scotty and Rebel greeted us wanting treats at the beginning of the walking path that would take us to Blackie Spit. 



 

We then carried on to the seaside path...


The pier at Crescent Beach 


Who wants to play beach volleyball? 


While I do love a tropical beach I love the log strewn beaches of the Pacific North West just as much if not more...

We then caught the first of two buses that would take us to White Rock.  My friend Sarah had recommended a restaurant called "Charlie Don't Surf" which we decided to check out - just for the novelty of the name!  We both enjoyed our meals - I had fish and chips because I had decided that if I ever went to White Rock I would have fish and chips.  They were good but not in the top five...


We then wandered across to the pier which is now all boarded up.  Late last year there was a wild wind storm that took out the middle portion.  Some poor soul was further out and had to be rescued.  Can you imagine?  That would be frightening but then again why would you be out on a pier in a wind storm?  Not me!  


And there you are...the missing bit.  The Pier was an iconic part of White Rock and has been around for over 100 years although repaired and reinforced over the years.  No one seems to know when it will be repaired. 


The iconic White Rock that is the reason it's named White Rock! 


The sky just before we left....

And that was week six







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more