Skip to main content

Goodbye Denmark, Hell-o Sweden!

Just so you know, that hyphen in Hello is not a typo!  

Sadly on the morning of Sunday June 9th my time in Bisserup came to an end.  One part of me was sad to say goodbye to Berit, Claudia and Alfred and the sweet village of Bisserup and the other was anxious to get back to the city lights and the rest of my adventures. (and I will not lie...WI-FI!!!!)   I know I will see Bisserup and my friends again..I won't let 35 years go by before then because let's face it..we will all be DEAD as doornails by then! 

Alfred came to pick us and our luggage up and took us back to the house for one last breakfast feast.   Berit drove us to the station in Slagelse and Claudia was the first to leave.  I followed shortly after for the hour plus journey back to Copenhagen.  Once again my credit card did not work when I tried to use the loo at Slagelse station.  Berit had to come to my rescue and pay for my last minute wee.  The trip back to Copenhagen was uneventful. 

Upon arrival, I headed over to my hotel.  The Saga Hotel is behind the station and was the most reasonable I could find.  As there were no elevators, rather than slogging my luggage up two flights of stairs I was able to use a locker.  So I took out what I needed for an overnight stay and headed up the stairs.   This is what over $140 Canadian buys you in central Copenhagen...even though they had my credit card on file I wasn't billed until I checked in and the transaction went through with no problem.   The plot thickens. 



The bathroom/toilet was down the hall....and this is why I use Airbnb.  I could not afford to travel long term the way I do if I stayed in hotels. Plus I love the whole living in local neighbourhoods thing. However for a one nighter staying by the rail station made more sense.  The craziest thing of all?  Just before I left on my trip (and my reservation at the Saga Hotel had been booked) I got out my 35 year old photo album of my trip to Denmark.  Guess where I stayed in Copenhagen?  Yep, the same place! 

Anyway, once I had scoped out the room I headed out to explore.  It wasn't yet noon so I had lots of time.  I walked over to "The Lakes" which are a row of three rectangular lakes.  Paths run alongside and it's a very popular place for runners and walkers.  







I then walked over to Kongens Have (The Kings Garden) which is within the vast grounds of Rosenborg Castle. 







And we're back at Rosenborg Castle! 



These were some strange looking statues on a nearby building. 

I had every intention of doing a walk in the Norrebro neighbourhood but ran out of steam.  Ah well, next time!

Back in the hotel room I rested up a bit before heading out to find something to eat.  By now my hearty breakfast  had worn off and I was hungry.  I decided to try something different and went to a nearby Turkish restaurant.  It was delicious!!  



Even though the night was young I was beat as I hadn't slept well the night before. (being old really sucks sometimes) So back to the hotel to rest and I had Wi-fi so life was good! 

The next morning I got my stuff out of the locker, shoved my jammies etc in and I was off to the railway station.  I had opted not to have the breakfast for an extra cost as I was having it on the train.  When I booked my ticket I found that First Class was not much more so I figured why not?  

As always I got there too early so got myself a coffee and waited..and waited until finally my train's platform number came up on the screen.  What I didn't realize was that it was on a platform in a totally different part of the station. I followed a group of fellows who were going to Stockholm and got there in plenty of time. 



I must admit I felt a bit smug hauling myself into the First Class carriage; I am normally a budget traveler. 



And hauling myself and my suitcase it was!  You can't tell from this picture but this entrance was high as well.  Luckily the train attendant helped me. 

Once settled in my seat I liked it though!  




The journey wasn't empty like this; it quickly filled up. 



I think the fact that I was taking pictures all over the place kind of gave me away.  Anyway breakfast was nice: yogurt, musli, bread, a roll with cheese and ham.  And coffee!  

The scenery did not offend either.  






It was lovely to relax and just watch the scenery go by and listen to my music.  The carriage was quiet - no crying, whiny kids.  Yahoo! Five hours flew by and before I knew it we were pulling into Stockholm station.  Note: I opted to take a direct train - some trains require you to change in Malmo. 

It is always exciting to enter a brand new country but it is also nerve-wracking. 

My entry to Stockholm was probably the most stressful I've had except maybe for India...

Anyhoo first things first.  I found my way to the metro station which is right beside the Central station.  I asked the ticket agent for a one week ticket but like an idiot, I tried using my Mastercard.  I am nothing if not stubborn and I was sure it was just Denmark that had an issue with my credit card.  After all I'd traveled the world with this same credit card (well okay same bank) for the past 30 plus years with no issue. NOT.  I tried using the PIN three times (the cost was too much for swipe apparently) and it rejected.  I KNEW it was the correct one but the ticket agent said "it looks like you forgot your PIN, it helps to write it down" like I was some old dear.  Nostrils flaring with indignation I reached inside my money belt to get my back up credit card (digging into your money belt in public is not recommended as it defeats the purpose of having one but needs must) and thanks be to all the gods it worked.  Meanwhile Swedish nostrils were flaring in the line behind me...oops. 

I headed to the metro and finding my way to the right train was easy as was getting off at the right station which was just five stops down the line.  I think I tried every exit before I found the right one - with a young girl's help.  She then helped me find the right place.  Now why couldn't the description just say above the 7/11?  Even the young girl commented that it was a confusing area. Of course there were no picture of the outside on the Airbnb site.  The flat was in an apartment in a row of shops.  The instructions were to phone the host...easy right?  Well I could not get through on my phone even though I had a Vodafone SIM which enabled me to use it all over Europe.  The call would not go through no matter how I dialed it. And I tried every combination.  I stood there trying to remain calm and not panic. My data worked and I messaged the host only to find out he wasn't even in Stockholm and told me to phone the number I had been told previously.  I told him I couldn't get through on my phone.  No reply.  An elderly lady approached the door and as she went in I asked if I could come in with her as I could not get ahold of my Airbnb host.  She agreed thank goodness.  So up in the lift I went and proceeded to knock and ring the bell but no response. I sat on the steps fuming and getting into panic mode.  I decided to knock on the neighbour's door who was home and she phoned the number and it didn't work at first but tried again, had a quick chat with the host who came promptly to the door.  I guess I didn't press the bell hard enough and I discovered the door was a double one and my knock would not have been heard.  Sitting in my room she called me from her phone and it worked but mine still didn't go through to hers. 

So the host was a man and a woman.  The man lived in Spain. And from the picture the man was either her son or she was a cougar.  I never did figure it out. 

My room was okay...with a shared bathroom.  What I didn't realize when I booked was that it was more like a hostel and she didn't live on-site anymore.  I really prefer being the only guest staying with the resident(s).  There were three other rooms with two bathrooms and we had access to the kitchen only.  Even though pictures of the living room were shown we did not have access to it as the host sometimes slept there overnight if she had an early or late arrival and it was blocked off.  It's probably my least favourite of all the Airbnb's I have stayed in around the world (over 30) and I highly suspect this is where I got my scabies.  I can't prove it but the timing and logistics fit.  The host was sweet and did laundry for me but she was also a bit..ahem..."forgetful". 

Anyway once settled in I decided to make use of my pass as it was still only mid afternoon.  I headed into town and went to Tourist information where I picked up my Stockholm Card and lots of maps/brochures and proceeded to find myself some Swedish meatballs.  



They were delish!  And I had cider as well because I needed a damn drink after all that drama! 

When I got back to the flat I realized the skeleton key for the flat itself had fallen off the keyring and was somewhere in my purse.  Last panic for the day but I found it.  

I was happy to crawl into bed that evening all ready to start exploring Stockholm the next day.  Stay tuned!  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more