Skip to main content

A day in Newark with Amanda

One of the great things about my blog is connecting with people.  Amanda is a friend of my German friend Claudia.  Despite not having internet (I think there are two people left in the world who refuse to go on the internet and I know them both!) she told Amanda about my blog and she has been a regular reader since.  Every time I went to England Amanda commented on Facebook that I should come up and visit her hometown of Newark in Nottinghamshire.  I would reply "sure, one day" or something like that.  Well on my last trip to England I finally took her up on her offer and I am certainly glad I did!!  

I am one of those people who is normally always early and my arrival at Kings Cross rail station in London on January 8th, 2020 was no exception.  I noticed that the Harry Potter "platform" was completely empty for once (usually it's packed) so even though I am not a fan I decided "why not". I asked the photographer if she could take a picture of me with my phone (I know...cheeky!) and she said yes but of course also took a professional shot as well.  There was also a young woman there who held out the scarf they put on me to look like I was in motion.  I had several pictures that she took with my camera phone but this one is the best.  After the photo was taken I was routed through the shop (of course) but I came out empty-handed because as I say I am not a fan.  I was very lucky as a family arrived as I left the shop and asked if the photographer could take photos on their phone and she said no.  I guess it pays to have grey hair - and be a bit cheeky!!! 


I had skipped breakfast as I wanted to beat the morning rush hour (not that it worked....) and there is always something exciting about having a coffee and a pastry at the rail station (or airport) before a journey.  Sigh...I miss those days. Anyway, I got my flat white and chocolate croissant and happily settled into a table and chair.  Kings Cross station has really been tarted up which is a good thing as it was looking pretty scruffy for a while.  That will never do as it sits right beside its now (it was quite the scruff back in the day) shiny sibling St Pancras station (the Eurostar international station if you please...)  - it would never do to be the ugly stepsister!!!  Now it is a joy to pass through. 

I sat up on the right of this picture enjoying my (very unhealthy...but who the hell cares) breakfast with a view over the main concourse.  It's sort of my "going through Kings Cross" tradition I guess as I've done it quite a few times now when my journeys take me to the North East. 

Soon it was time to board and the 90-minute journey went smoothly..I love British trains.  Okay, get yourself together Laurie...I'm feeling very sentimental as I write this.  

Amanda was there to greet me on the platform.  It is always nerve-wracking for me to meet someone for the first time but we got on very well. (well I think so anyway!) 

Newark-on-Trent (but let's just call it Newark) is a market town of about 28,000 and was an important Royalist stronghold in the English civil war that took place from 1642 to 1651.  And yes Newark, New Jersey is Newark's namesake. 

We walked into the town centre and our first stop was Market Place which hosts markets most days of the week.  

One building that caught my eye was the Olde White Hart which is one of the best examples of a timber-framed 15th-century coaching inn in England. Newark was an important stop on the coach route between London and Edinburgh.  After hosting several businesses over the years since then it is now the home of a Building Society that is similar to a Credit Union in Canada. (I believe...). 



Above is a close-up of the side of the building with tiny figures of saints on it. 

And this is the back and dates from the 14th century.  Oh boy, the stories it could tell!  The building was damaged during the English civil war and was pretty derelict by the 1960s and demolition was considered.  Thank goodness an extensive restoration took place instead!  It is such a beauty!!!  Above is the gallery and below is the stair turret.   




This is the Newark Town Hall which dates from 1774.

We went inside and our first stop was to view the beautiful Assembly room which is the highlight of the building.   It was restored in 1990 and is so beautiful.  





This room hosts special events which Amanda has been to.  All very elegant!!!

We visited the Newark museum in the building as well.   I got a great view of the market from one of the windows. 

Below is another picture of the Town Hall.  Look to the left and you will see a very narrow little building known as "The Smallest Building in Newark". This building may predate the Town Hall by fifty years.  It is now part of the Town Hall complex and is the "Mayor's robing room".  


We passed by the Governor's House which originally dates from 1474 and was home of the Governors during the English Civil War.  



Here is the Queen's Head pub, another timber-framed building. These type of buildings are all over the place in Newark - I love them! It looks like an elderly pensioner has toddled in for a tipple.  

We then walked past St Mary Magdalene Church.  While there has been a church on this site for over one thousand years some parts of this Anglican church date back to the thirteenth century.  


Our destination?  Newark Castle!!  We had to stop and admire the building opposite the castle though which is known as the Ossington Coffee House.   It was built in 1882 as a Temperance hotel by Viscountess Ossington.  


And then we were at the Castle.  Sadly it was closed that day which was a pity as Amanda is a tour guide for the Castle so I'd have been given a personal tour.  Ah well, next time!!! 


The Castle has stood for nearly 900 years and oh boy if walls could talk it would never shut up - just imagine what it has seen!!!  It has withstood three sieges during the Civil War and was the last stronghold of the Royalists until Charles I gave the order to surrender in 1646. It is now a ruin due to Cromwell's dismantling as well as locals looking for materials to build their own homes.  Interesting fact:  King John died here of dysentery in 1216.  




These are bullet holes on the wall of the Castle from the Civil War.   We then walked around to the other side of the Trent and got some stunning views of the castle. 



After just a croissant and coffee for brekky my stomach was definitely letting me know it wanted feeding so off we went to Amanda's favourite local pub, Prince Rupert.  The pub was originally built in 1452.   Can you believe that for some insane reason I did not take a picture of it...heaven knows why.   So here's a stock image of it from whatpub.com


We had a great lunch and chat - I enjoyed a delicious sandwich made from pizza dough that hit the spot.  Our next stop was the excellent National Civil War Centre.  Being a bit of a ghoul, the greatest excitement was viewing what was said to be the hood of Charles I executioner as well as a bit of King Charles' blood and the shirt he was wearing..or was it fake news?  The exhibit was just about that. 


We then had tea and cake in the tea room before walking back to Amanda's to meet her family and relax for a bit. Amanda then dropped me at the train station and 90 minutes later I arrived back at Kings Cross station.  

Thank you Amanda for an amazing day and we will do it again some day!!!  Not only did I see such an interesting town but I've made a lovely new friend. I think our next little adventure together will be a day trip to Lincoln which is quite close to Newark. 

I really enjoyed my time in Newark - there were so many lovely old buildings and so much history.  Pure heaven for this history geek!!! 



 














Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more