Skip to main content

A walk around Stromness,, Orkney

As well as arriving at Stromness by ferry from the port of Scrabster on the Scottish mainland I visited the town on two other occasions.  I will put them both into one post so bear with me on the "sudden" change of weather!!!  

Stromness takes its name from the Norse name "Straumr Nes" meaning the headland in the tidal stream.  Nearby Havanoe Harbour means Haven Inlet in Norse. While there was a settlement in the area from the 11th century it is only in the 16th century that the town started developing.  This development was the result of the wars between England and France between the mid-17th century and early 19th century.  The route around Northern Scotland became a safer option than the English Channel.  

While I made my base in the main town of Kirkwall as it had better transportation options I found the history and buildings in Stromness much more compelling and photogenic.  

So let's go for a walk around town!!!  


The bus stop is right outside the ferry terminal and it's just a few steps over to this view.  No ferry is docked right now!!! 



I imagine this is a popular meeting point for locals and tourists alike. 


The Stromness Hotel was established in 1901 by John McKay who came from Durness. (where my Scottish ancestors are from!) 


The main road is narrow but you just jump out of the way when a vehicle comes.  


Stromness Parish Church was erected in 1862.  



I thought this was interesting. 

The Hudson's Bay Company played a huge part in the history of Stromness and Orkney.  From around 1702 recruitment began in Orkney and by the end of the 18th century three-quarters of the Hudson's Bay Company workforce in Canada were Orcadians. The Hudson's Bay Company ships watered and took on stores in Stromness until the beginning of the 20th century.  


I was quite excited to see colour of this building. Blue and yellow are my favourite colour combinations. 



For the ozzies. 


There were lots of little passages off the main street . 


I applauded this homeowner for trying to brighten up their property. 


Dr John Rae is quite a local hero and understandably so. 



I loved this!!! 


These are typical building designs in both Orkney and Shetland.  


I loved these little "peek-a-boo" sightings of the sea between the houses. 


You knew there had to be a dog (or two) somewhere!  



Robert FitzRoy was a Vice Admiral in the Royal Navy and a scientist.  He developed a system where there was a type of barometer in every port for ship crew to consult before venturing out to sea.  This is considered the first early form of weather forecast.  Earlier in his career he was commander of the Beagle on one of Charles Darwin's expeditions.  He and Darwin (my hero!) were friends but did clash on occasion on this five-year voyage (who wouldn't- that's a long time to be stuck on a ship)  - FitzRoy's nickname was "Hot Coffee" because of his quick temper! 








What better way to finish up a walk than with an Orkney fudge ice cream?  Mmm......yummy!!! 

I hope you enjoyed our walk around Stromness. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A walk from Westminster to St Paul's Cathedral

I have decided to put the Thames Path on hold until I am back in London next month and we have more Spring like weather...I will be going into a more rural area that is prone to flooding as well.  I am staying at about five miles maximum a day as well...my knees and feet have been giving me major grief so I am not pushing myself. However that doesn't mean I don't want to walk.  One of my favourite British Walking Federation walks is one that starts at Westminster tube station and covers 10km to St Katherines Docks just east of the Tower of London.  Yesterday I walked as far as St Paul's and will do the rest of the walk in the next couple of days.  Normally I do this entire 10 km walk my first day in London but not this time... So here are some of the highlights along the way....what a gorgeous day it was.  A different view of Big Ben Can you believe this was my first time on Parliament Square Another hero on Parliament Square Classic ...

The Colourful houses of Mazatlan, Mexico

Well this isn't even Throwback Thursday and I am reminiscing about my (all too short) week in Mazatlan, Mexcico in January of 2010.  It was one of my best holidays EVER.  I stayed in a delightful little hotel called La Siesta which was on the waterfront in the central part of town.(known as centro) overlooking the ocean.   I walked around the town photographing buildings, ocean views, dogs....visited the Mercado, attended a fantastic Flamenco dance performance in the restored Teatro (theatre), toasted the sunset with a beer from my balcony every evening and ate at some wonderful restaurants.  I also took a couple of day trips which were okay but my time in Mazatlan overshadowed anything else I did. My one foray into the Gold (tourist) Zone left me horrified and scampering back to my beloved Centro.  And did I mention I did this as a solo trip?  Mexico has had a lot of bad press lately and while there ARE bad things going on there I still believe the average...

Cowboys and Outlaws in the Big Muddy of Saskatchewan

One of the (very) few advantages of being stuck at home during this pandemic has been an opportunity to see more of my home province of Saskatchewan.  Last summer and fall not only did I do a couple of day trips with friends but I took four day tours with Engelheim transport, a local Regina company.   I have to admit my favourite day out was the "Big Muddy Valley and Outlaws" tour. While I had been to the Big Muddy previously many years back I was eager to revisit and learn more of its history.   So in early October, I hopped on board and off we went.  The bus is only booked to half capacity so it was easy to social distance, hand gel was a must each time we boarded the bus,  masks were required when you got on and off the bus and in any buildings we visited.  I felt totally safe and oh my, it was so good to have an adventure!!  Despite the name the Big Muddy isn't a big huge puddle of mud but a valley of badlands that were formed from a glac...