Skip to main content

Sunshine crossing the Arctic Circle on the Polarlys

I felt fully rested when I woke up on Day 10 of my coastal journey along Norway's coast on Hurtigruten.  

And I was greeted with this!!  

Blue skies and sunshine!!!  




My mood was as happy as this weather as finally, after ten days I tested negative for covid.  Yay!!  

And here we are crossing back over the Arctic Circle. 

I was so happy to find out there was another ceremony to celebrate this as I had missed the last one. 


This involved getting a dose of cod liver oil from the Captain.  Yuck, I know. I have no idea where the tradition came from or whether it's just something Hurtigruten dreamed up. However if we took part in this we got a free souvenir spoon. I'm all about free things  - if it's something I want that is and I wanted a souvenir spoon.   It was totally worth it despite the rank taste of the cod liver oil.  


I had to swallow the stuff not once but twice as the person I asked to take a photo didn't take it in time.  Still worth it for my nice spoon that I use most days.  

Champagne at 9 a.m?  Why not!!  Champagne was for sale so I had to have some to toast being covid free and crossing the Arctic Circle. (again) 

I had a chat with a couple from California (the husband was a doctor) who were wearing N95 masks (as I had done) and told me they had covid and had gotten it on the ship.  I  had been so careful however there was a lot of coughing on board and people not taking any precautions so I knew it wasn't from me.  I know covid is a controversial subject so I won't say much but I just did not want to pass it on to anyone.  Even if it's "just a cold" (sarcasm) it is an inconvenience.  

Very interesting looking mountain!!!  

Our next stop was Bronnoysund which has a population of about 5,000.  There was a line to take a photo of this rock and yes I was in it.  I didn't find much of interest but that doesn't mean there wasn't.  I never judge a place as "boring" as there is always something somewhere that is special in every place - I truly believe that.  I just didn't find it!!  It had pretty harbour views though! 




This was my mood today.  I stopped into the grocery store behind this adorable sculpture (I guess that's the "something special" for me) to pick up a few snacks.  


There's the Polarlys in the distance waiting for me to come back.  I grew to love this ship so much.  


And then we were off again. 



Shortly after we left Bronnoysund we were treated to something very unique. 


A mountain with a hole in it!  This is Torghatten.  Scientists say that the sea washed against a weak part of the mountain when the land was lower than it is now.  Legend has it an arrow was shot through. 

That evening was a sit-down dinner at our assigned tables.  I sat with Sally again and we had a pleasant long chat. Her husband was still sick.  I noted in my diary that I had carrot soup, haddock with potato and carrots (going for the healthy option - good girl!) and caramel and fudge ice cream. (okay I really was trying to balance bad and good out)  I only took a picture of the ice cream as let's face it fish with veggies isn't the most exciting picture. (fish and chips are a different story) 


The ice cream was delicious!!!  

I went to bed that night tired but happy.  What a great day!!! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A walk from Westminster to St Paul's Cathedral

I have decided to put the Thames Path on hold until I am back in London next month and we have more Spring like weather...I will be going into a more rural area that is prone to flooding as well.  I am staying at about five miles maximum a day as well...my knees and feet have been giving me major grief so I am not pushing myself. However that doesn't mean I don't want to walk.  One of my favourite British Walking Federation walks is one that starts at Westminster tube station and covers 10km to St Katherines Docks just east of the Tower of London.  Yesterday I walked as far as St Paul's and will do the rest of the walk in the next couple of days.  Normally I do this entire 10 km walk my first day in London but not this time... So here are some of the highlights along the way....what a gorgeous day it was.  A different view of Big Ben Can you believe this was my first time on Parliament Square Another hero on Parliament Square Classic ...

The Colourful houses of Mazatlan, Mexico

Well this isn't even Throwback Thursday and I am reminiscing about my (all too short) week in Mazatlan, Mexcico in January of 2010.  It was one of my best holidays EVER.  I stayed in a delightful little hotel called La Siesta which was on the waterfront in the central part of town.(known as centro) overlooking the ocean.   I walked around the town photographing buildings, ocean views, dogs....visited the Mercado, attended a fantastic Flamenco dance performance in the restored Teatro (theatre), toasted the sunset with a beer from my balcony every evening and ate at some wonderful restaurants.  I also took a couple of day trips which were okay but my time in Mazatlan overshadowed anything else I did. My one foray into the Gold (tourist) Zone left me horrified and scampering back to my beloved Centro.  And did I mention I did this as a solo trip?  Mexico has had a lot of bad press lately and while there ARE bad things going on there I still believe the average...

Cowboys and Outlaws in the Big Muddy of Saskatchewan

One of the (very) few advantages of being stuck at home during this pandemic has been an opportunity to see more of my home province of Saskatchewan.  Last summer and fall not only did I do a couple of day trips with friends but I took four day tours with Engelheim transport, a local Regina company.   I have to admit my favourite day out was the "Big Muddy Valley and Outlaws" tour. While I had been to the Big Muddy previously many years back I was eager to revisit and learn more of its history.   So in early October, I hopped on board and off we went.  The bus is only booked to half capacity so it was easy to social distance, hand gel was a must each time we boarded the bus,  masks were required when you got on and off the bus and in any buildings we visited.  I felt totally safe and oh my, it was so good to have an adventure!!  Despite the name the Big Muddy isn't a big huge puddle of mud but a valley of badlands that were formed from a glac...