Skip to main content

Sunshine crossing the Arctic Circle on the Polarlys

I felt fully rested when I woke up on Day 10 of my coastal journey along Norway's coast on Hurtigruten.  

And I was greeted with this!!  

Blue skies and sunshine!!!  




My mood was as happy as this weather as finally, after ten days I tested negative for covid.  Yay!!  

And here we are crossing back over the Arctic Circle. 

I was so happy to find out there was another ceremony to celebrate this as I had missed the last one. 


This involved getting a dose of cod liver oil from the Captain.  Yuck, I know. I have no idea where the tradition came from or whether it's just something Hurtigruten dreamed up. However if we took part in this we got a free souvenir spoon. I'm all about free things  - if it's something I want that is and I wanted a souvenir spoon.   It was totally worth it despite the rank taste of the cod liver oil.  


I had to swallow the stuff not once but twice as the person I asked to take a photo didn't take it in time.  Still worth it for my nice spoon that I use most days.  

Champagne at 9 a.m?  Why not!!  Champagne was for sale so I had to have some to toast being covid free and crossing the Arctic Circle. (again) 

I had a chat with a couple from California (the husband was a doctor) who were wearing N95 masks (as I had done) and told me they had covid and had gotten it on the ship.  I  had been so careful however there was a lot of coughing on board and people not taking any precautions so I knew it wasn't from me.  I know covid is a controversial subject so I won't say much but I just did not want to pass it on to anyone.  Even if it's "just a cold" (sarcasm) it is an inconvenience.  

Very interesting looking mountain!!!  

Our next stop was Bronnoysund which has a population of about 5,000.  There was a line to take a photo of this rock and yes I was in it.  I didn't find much of interest but that doesn't mean there wasn't.  I never judge a place as "boring" as there is always something somewhere that is special in every place - I truly believe that.  I just didn't find it!!  It had pretty harbour views though! 




This was my mood today.  I stopped into the grocery store behind this adorable sculpture (I guess that's the "something special" for me) to pick up a few snacks.  


There's the Polarlys in the distance waiting for me to come back.  I grew to love this ship so much.  


And then we were off again. 



Shortly after we left Bronnoysund we were treated to something very unique. 


A mountain with a hole in it!  This is Torghatten.  Scientists say that the sea washed against a weak part of the mountain when the land was lower than it is now.  Legend has it an arrow was shot through. 

That evening was a sit-down dinner at our assigned tables.  I sat with Sally again and we had a pleasant long chat. Her husband was still sick.  I noted in my diary that I had carrot soup, haddock with potato and carrots (going for the healthy option - good girl!) and caramel and fudge ice cream. (okay I really was trying to balance bad and good out)  I only took a picture of the ice cream as let's face it fish with veggies isn't the most exciting picture. (fish and chips are a different story) 


The ice cream was delicious!!!  

I went to bed that night tired but happy.  What a great day!!! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more