Skip to main content

Cold day in London

Well think this was the coldest day yet I do believe - sure felt like it anyway. I started off walking in Hampstead in the mist and fog - kind of neat actually. But stopped for a coffee as needed the loo and no public ones around. Was enjoying reading a paper and my coffee until a family came and sat next to me - I could only handle so many "mommay" and "daddays" and I scadaddled out of there. Once I got out again it was so cold that I ended up bussing it to Camden Market and had a look around. Well it's a lot of markets but once you've seen one you've seen them all as they pretty well sold the same stuff - but I enjoy markets so I was happy. Loved the t'shirt "Ipood" with a guy with headphones on sitting on a toilet!! :) I got a pair of wool mitts made in Nepal - I needed them on top of the gloves I got yesterday - being as I lost my others. It was so cold though - would like to go back on a nicer day and maybe walk along the canal. Then I got the tube out to Tooting Broadway - just because.....had some great chips there - the best of the trip so far. Took the bus back to Trafalgar Square and saw the frozen fountains. First time I've ever seen the water frozen in those fountains in all my trips here. I had a cream tea at St Martins in the Fields church - yum yum yum. Bought myself a ticket for a concert of Mozart music there next Saturday night. I did a quick visit to the National Gallery to say hello to Van Gogh's Sunflowers. I am a philistine when it comes to art - I know nothing - I only like pictures of children (that's when they are the best - in pictures - so you can't hear them!) and dogs. One day (retirement part two?) I will take an art appreciation course - then I will want to revisit all the art galleries I've visited in my travels and never appreciated!!!

Got some shots of Trafalgar Square at dusk with Big Ben in the background with it's face lit up. Sigh....so glad I am in London.

I had wanted to take a walking tour of "India in London" however 1) it was too cold and 2) the tube station was on a line that was closed today. Too cold to walk and no clue what bus to get as it's not an area I am familiar with.

Next stop - back to the room to have a hot bath and relax. I bought myself a little bottle of wine so me thinks after I have my healthy banana and fresh squeezed orange juice for "supper" I will pour myself a glass to have with some root vegetable crisps (like potato chips) that I have developed an addiction to.

Off to an ice sculpture festival tomorrow!!! Other than that I am winging it. Would like to walk along the south side of the Thames but it depends on the weather. We haven't seen the sun in a few days so it would be nice if it would pop out and say hello tomorrow.

Oh well whatever the weather throws at me beats being in Regina in January!!!

I

Comments

Dena said…
You're right, sounds like it does beat being in Regina in January, we don't have mulled wine!...which we need, cause.....you know!

Just wanted to ask you to keep the posts coming. They have been the highlights of my days this last week, cause....you know! and I'm traveling with you vicariously!

Keep on walkin!

Popular posts from this blog

A walk from Westminster to St Paul's Cathedral

I have decided to put the Thames Path on hold until I am back in London next month and we have more Spring like weather...I will be going into a more rural area that is prone to flooding as well.  I am staying at about five miles maximum a day as well...my knees and feet have been giving me major grief so I am not pushing myself. However that doesn't mean I don't want to walk.  One of my favourite British Walking Federation walks is one that starts at Westminster tube station and covers 10km to St Katherines Docks just east of the Tower of London.  Yesterday I walked as far as St Paul's and will do the rest of the walk in the next couple of days.  Normally I do this entire 10 km walk my first day in London but not this time... So here are some of the highlights along the way....what a gorgeous day it was.  A different view of Big Ben Can you believe this was my first time on Parliament Square Another hero on Parliament Square Classic ...

The Colourful houses of Mazatlan, Mexico

Well this isn't even Throwback Thursday and I am reminiscing about my (all too short) week in Mazatlan, Mexcico in January of 2010.  It was one of my best holidays EVER.  I stayed in a delightful little hotel called La Siesta which was on the waterfront in the central part of town.(known as centro) overlooking the ocean.   I walked around the town photographing buildings, ocean views, dogs....visited the Mercado, attended a fantastic Flamenco dance performance in the restored Teatro (theatre), toasted the sunset with a beer from my balcony every evening and ate at some wonderful restaurants.  I also took a couple of day trips which were okay but my time in Mazatlan overshadowed anything else I did. My one foray into the Gold (tourist) Zone left me horrified and scampering back to my beloved Centro.  And did I mention I did this as a solo trip?  Mexico has had a lot of bad press lately and while there ARE bad things going on there I still believe the average...

Cowboys and Outlaws in the Big Muddy of Saskatchewan

One of the (very) few advantages of being stuck at home during this pandemic has been an opportunity to see more of my home province of Saskatchewan.  Last summer and fall not only did I do a couple of day trips with friends but I took four day tours with Engelheim transport, a local Regina company.   I have to admit my favourite day out was the "Big Muddy Valley and Outlaws" tour. While I had been to the Big Muddy previously many years back I was eager to revisit and learn more of its history.   So in early October, I hopped on board and off we went.  The bus is only booked to half capacity so it was easy to social distance, hand gel was a must each time we boarded the bus,  masks were required when you got on and off the bus and in any buildings we visited.  I felt totally safe and oh my, it was so good to have an adventure!!  Despite the name the Big Muddy isn't a big huge puddle of mud but a valley of badlands that were formed from a glac...