Skip to main content

Three countries in one day

Yep we all knew I am a jetsetter but you know you are when you have three currencies in your wallet and using them all the same day.

Morning came early yesterday...after enjoying the musical "Mama Mia" the night before I got up to discover that the fuse had blown at the B & B and except for my bedside lamp which was plugged into an outlet that wasn't affected the whole second floor was in darkness. Oh goodie - so I had my shower with just the light from outside (which at 5 a.m. isn't much) and worried about getting my "bag from hell" down the stairs in the dark. My fears were unfounded as I heard footsteps as I was getting dressed so Simon obviously knew about it and the problem was fixed. The taxi arrived on time and got me to the airport in half an hour flat. I was impressed. Haven't spent that much on a taxi but wow it was worth it. Had my last cappucino at Costa Coffee. :(

The flight to Minneapolis was all right but I've had better. A whole 'slew' of teenagers were flying over as well as a horrible toddler who barely quit screaming the whole time. As in having temper tantrums - it's handlers obviously had never heard of discipline. I was ready to put the kid out of it's misery with my pillow - no lie. (well I can't stand kids at the best of times). Even the flight attendant I commented to (jokingly) said "that kid is way out of control". The teenagers spent the time visiting in the aisles ignoring the flight attendant's requests to sit down when the seat belt sign was on. They even announced at the second meal service (lunch before we landed) "we will be serving meals for the next thirty minutes so please stay in your seat" and the kids were still up and around and the flight attendants made them stand behind them while they served - good for them. I saw a flight attendant afterwards in the airport and said "that was quite the flight with the teenagers and the screaming brat from hell" and she commented it was a terrible flight and had them pulling their hair out the entire time. Anyway we arrived in one piece.

At customs the inspector said I should go the Mall of America with my 8 hours between flights so that I did! I had lunch at Ruby Tuesdays, got my hair shampooed and cut - hey why not - and trudged around. I was too cheap to pay for a locker so hauled my backpack and between the exhaustion and the load I spent most of my time sitting down people watching. That was my third trip to the mall - quite the place. I think it would make a great "girls weekend away" - hint hint to my Minot buddies...

Then FINALLY my flight home - short and sweet and got through customs no probs and got a taxi right away. Stopped at a convenience store so I could get my milk and cream for coffee/tea and made it home in one piece despite dropping my wallet in the van and having the driver go back to the store so I could find it. What can I say after over 24 hours I was not in my right mind. Got my "bag from hell" up the stairs to my apartment and collapsed.

AWESOME AWESOME trip.

What can I say - good to be home but I know I will be itching to get away again SOON.

Because I am Restless Prairie Girl and that's what I do!

Stay tuned as I plan to edit each of my entries and put pictures in and more on what I thought of the amazing Middle East - I will also be updating Facebook so will put a link to that.

Comments

Dena said…
Welcome home! Where are you going next?

Popular posts from this blog

A walk from Westminster to St Paul's Cathedral

I have decided to put the Thames Path on hold until I am back in London next month and we have more Spring like weather...I will be going into a more rural area that is prone to flooding as well.  I am staying at about five miles maximum a day as well...my knees and feet have been giving me major grief so I am not pushing myself. However that doesn't mean I don't want to walk.  One of my favourite British Walking Federation walks is one that starts at Westminster tube station and covers 10km to St Katherines Docks just east of the Tower of London.  Yesterday I walked as far as St Paul's and will do the rest of the walk in the next couple of days.  Normally I do this entire 10 km walk my first day in London but not this time... So here are some of the highlights along the way....what a gorgeous day it was.  A different view of Big Ben Can you believe this was my first time on Parliament Square Another hero on Parliament Square Classic ...

The Colourful houses of Mazatlan, Mexico

Well this isn't even Throwback Thursday and I am reminiscing about my (all too short) week in Mazatlan, Mexcico in January of 2010.  It was one of my best holidays EVER.  I stayed in a delightful little hotel called La Siesta which was on the waterfront in the central part of town.(known as centro) overlooking the ocean.   I walked around the town photographing buildings, ocean views, dogs....visited the Mercado, attended a fantastic Flamenco dance performance in the restored Teatro (theatre), toasted the sunset with a beer from my balcony every evening and ate at some wonderful restaurants.  I also took a couple of day trips which were okay but my time in Mazatlan overshadowed anything else I did. My one foray into the Gold (tourist) Zone left me horrified and scampering back to my beloved Centro.  And did I mention I did this as a solo trip?  Mexico has had a lot of bad press lately and while there ARE bad things going on there I still believe the average...

Cowboys and Outlaws in the Big Muddy of Saskatchewan

One of the (very) few advantages of being stuck at home during this pandemic has been an opportunity to see more of my home province of Saskatchewan.  Last summer and fall not only did I do a couple of day trips with friends but I took four day tours with Engelheim transport, a local Regina company.   I have to admit my favourite day out was the "Big Muddy Valley and Outlaws" tour. While I had been to the Big Muddy previously many years back I was eager to revisit and learn more of its history.   So in early October, I hopped on board and off we went.  The bus is only booked to half capacity so it was easy to social distance, hand gel was a must each time we boarded the bus,  masks were required when you got on and off the bus and in any buildings we visited.  I felt totally safe and oh my, it was so good to have an adventure!!  Despite the name the Big Muddy isn't a big huge puddle of mud but a valley of badlands that were formed from a glac...