Skip to main content

Paul & Ringo - you rock!

I had such a good time in New York this past weekend. The absolute highlight was seeing Paul and Ringo singing together in concert Saturday evening. I must admit...I cried. The two remaining Beatles together...it was too much. Worth every penny of the bank's money...:) I can die happy now. They sang "With A Little Help from my friends" side by side and then Ringo played drums on "I Saw Her Standing There" which is one of my all time favourite Beatles songs. I boogied like a mad woman and sang all the "ooos" along with Paul. Sigh.... it was fun being twelve again. Paul had his own set as well as did Ringo and both were fantastic (especially Paul of course) but to see the two of them together.....something I will cherish for the rest of my life.

The next morning we went to a luncheonette that Paul goes to sometimes (a lady next to me at the concert filled me in) - it was all quite exciting especially when the waitress pointed out that we were sitting in the booth that Paul and his girlfriend were sitting in the day before. And Vic and I were on the same seat as him - oh my. We had to let Pat have her turn sitting there too.

Getting to New York was a pain in the butt - my flight to Toronto was fine but due to thunderstorms in New York my flight was delayed (after dashing like a mad woman to get to the gate on time) twice and then after sitting on the plane for 45 minutes the flight was cancelled. I was lucky as I had just carry on luggage so was able to change flights around a couple of times (long story...) until I finally got standby on a flight and got there about 5 hours late. But I got there and that's the main thing. I was exhausted having been up since 3:15 a.m.

I like New York...it was my fifth time there and I like it more each time. However...it is not London which is where my heart belongs. New York is brash and in your face and exciting - London is exciting but softer and gentler with much more character. New York has wonderful architecture and skyscrapers that touch the sky and huge Central Park - London has beautiful old buildings and hidden alley ways and ancient pubs and the wonderful river and fantastic parks. And the New York subway was designed by a mad man with lines going every which way and stations with the same name only on a different line. I have been on most of the subway systems in the world and it's one of the worst. I found it very frustrating.

I found the people of New York very helpful - I was walking in Lower Manhatten my last morning and asked a cop the way to the Staten Island ferry and he told me in his thick accent "I'm gonna take real good care of you" and proceeded to give me very detailed directions that I was able to follow and I didn't get lost. (in other words they were idiot proof) That probably wouldn't happen in London. They would tell you it's only 5 minutes walk and it would be more like 25.

I went to see the musical "Hair" which was interesting. It was a bit OTT at times but I loved the music. I had forgotten that there was nudity - so it was a bit of a shock when they all stripped off just before the intermission!!!

Next stop - Las Vegas!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A walk from Westminster to St Paul's Cathedral

I have decided to put the Thames Path on hold until I am back in London next month and we have more Spring like weather...I will be going into a more rural area that is prone to flooding as well.  I am staying at about five miles maximum a day as well...my knees and feet have been giving me major grief so I am not pushing myself. However that doesn't mean I don't want to walk.  One of my favourite British Walking Federation walks is one that starts at Westminster tube station and covers 10km to St Katherines Docks just east of the Tower of London.  Yesterday I walked as far as St Paul's and will do the rest of the walk in the next couple of days.  Normally I do this entire 10 km walk my first day in London but not this time... So here are some of the highlights along the way....what a gorgeous day it was.  A different view of Big Ben Can you believe this was my first time on Parliament Square Another hero on Parliament Square Classic ...

The Colourful houses of Mazatlan, Mexico

Well this isn't even Throwback Thursday and I am reminiscing about my (all too short) week in Mazatlan, Mexcico in January of 2010.  It was one of my best holidays EVER.  I stayed in a delightful little hotel called La Siesta which was on the waterfront in the central part of town.(known as centro) overlooking the ocean.   I walked around the town photographing buildings, ocean views, dogs....visited the Mercado, attended a fantastic Flamenco dance performance in the restored Teatro (theatre), toasted the sunset with a beer from my balcony every evening and ate at some wonderful restaurants.  I also took a couple of day trips which were okay but my time in Mazatlan overshadowed anything else I did. My one foray into the Gold (tourist) Zone left me horrified and scampering back to my beloved Centro.  And did I mention I did this as a solo trip?  Mexico has had a lot of bad press lately and while there ARE bad things going on there I still believe the average...

Cowboys and Outlaws in the Big Muddy of Saskatchewan

One of the (very) few advantages of being stuck at home during this pandemic has been an opportunity to see more of my home province of Saskatchewan.  Last summer and fall not only did I do a couple of day trips with friends but I took four day tours with Engelheim transport, a local Regina company.   I have to admit my favourite day out was the "Big Muddy Valley and Outlaws" tour. While I had been to the Big Muddy previously many years back I was eager to revisit and learn more of its history.   So in early October, I hopped on board and off we went.  The bus is only booked to half capacity so it was easy to social distance, hand gel was a must each time we boarded the bus,  masks were required when you got on and off the bus and in any buildings we visited.  I felt totally safe and oh my, it was so good to have an adventure!!  Despite the name the Big Muddy isn't a big huge puddle of mud but a valley of badlands that were formed from a glac...