Skip to main content

Tulips, walking and hounds




Well I am back from my latest jaunt. Unfortunately I didn't have much internet access while away so couldn't update my blog. I left May 12th and came rolling in by bus yesterday morning May 28th.

It was a great two weeks. I spent a week in Ottawa with two walking friends. I took part in the Ottawa Tulip walking festival and enjoyed all the walks - despite the crappy weather. The tulips were amazing. The friends I stayed with had two dogs so I got my dog fix - always important! We visited Merickville which is a small town on the Rideau canal. I love the Ottawa area. Then we drove to North Bay for the walking convention which was great fun. The weather was fantastic the whole time I was there. The accommodation at Nipissing University (Governers House) was great with a view of Nipissing Lake from it's front windows. The convention was fun from beginning to end. I spent one night in a cabin in Samuel Champlain Provincial park which was a unique experience - the black flies were unreal so bought myself a mosquito net to cover my face when we did the walk. It will come in handy here in Saskatchewan! If I dare put it on! Spent my last day with two walking friends from New Brunswick that were members of our club here. A wonderful holiday filled with friendship, walking in beautiful surroundings , good food and doggie fixes - you can't beat that in my opinion.
The Greyhound trip was fine - I am still tired but I will recuperate. Guess we nearly hit a moose in northern Ontario - darn I was laying down (as close as you can get to laying down on the bus) and felt the braking but missed the moose. Also I guess a wolf ran in front of us as well according to the driver. It is absolutely beautiful country there. In my younger days I used to feel it wasn't really a holiday unless you flew somewhere. After my two flying trips in April it was nice to relax and enjoy the scenery. The "long haulers" on the Greyhound become almost their own community.....I will be doing more hound trips for sure. I am so lucky to live in such a beautiful country and thanks to belonging to the Volkssport federation I am seeing more of my own country than I had ever dreamed about. I have walked in all the provinces and territories except for the Yukon but I am working on that!

Now except for a couple of walking weekends I will be home until mid September when I head up to the Northwest Territories for a couple of weeks. Then after that who knows....I am not planning anything until I see my bank balance after a summer of working.


Stay tuned!




Comments

Anonymous said…
glad you had a good time, sounds wonderful .......

Popular posts from this blog

A walk from Westminster to St Paul's Cathedral

I have decided to put the Thames Path on hold until I am back in London next month and we have more Spring like weather...I will be going into a more rural area that is prone to flooding as well.  I am staying at about five miles maximum a day as well...my knees and feet have been giving me major grief so I am not pushing myself. However that doesn't mean I don't want to walk.  One of my favourite British Walking Federation walks is one that starts at Westminster tube station and covers 10km to St Katherines Docks just east of the Tower of London.  Yesterday I walked as far as St Paul's and will do the rest of the walk in the next couple of days.  Normally I do this entire 10 km walk my first day in London but not this time... So here are some of the highlights along the way....what a gorgeous day it was.  A different view of Big Ben Can you believe this was my first time on Parliament Square Another hero on Parliament Square Classic ...

The Colourful houses of Mazatlan, Mexico

Well this isn't even Throwback Thursday and I am reminiscing about my (all too short) week in Mazatlan, Mexcico in January of 2010.  It was one of my best holidays EVER.  I stayed in a delightful little hotel called La Siesta which was on the waterfront in the central part of town.(known as centro) overlooking the ocean.   I walked around the town photographing buildings, ocean views, dogs....visited the Mercado, attended a fantastic Flamenco dance performance in the restored Teatro (theatre), toasted the sunset with a beer from my balcony every evening and ate at some wonderful restaurants.  I also took a couple of day trips which were okay but my time in Mazatlan overshadowed anything else I did. My one foray into the Gold (tourist) Zone left me horrified and scampering back to my beloved Centro.  And did I mention I did this as a solo trip?  Mexico has had a lot of bad press lately and while there ARE bad things going on there I still believe the average...

Cowboys and Outlaws in the Big Muddy of Saskatchewan

One of the (very) few advantages of being stuck at home during this pandemic has been an opportunity to see more of my home province of Saskatchewan.  Last summer and fall not only did I do a couple of day trips with friends but I took four day tours with Engelheim transport, a local Regina company.   I have to admit my favourite day out was the "Big Muddy Valley and Outlaws" tour. While I had been to the Big Muddy previously many years back I was eager to revisit and learn more of its history.   So in early October, I hopped on board and off we went.  The bus is only booked to half capacity so it was easy to social distance, hand gel was a must each time we boarded the bus,  masks were required when you got on and off the bus and in any buildings we visited.  I felt totally safe and oh my, it was so good to have an adventure!!  Despite the name the Big Muddy isn't a big huge puddle of mud but a valley of badlands that were formed from a glac...