Skip to main content

I am nuts

I am going on a boat trip along the Mackenzie river today at 5 p.m. That's the only time he can do it - not sure how many of us are going but it won't be a full load apparently. It is going to be cold I am sure so will put on every bit of clothing I have brought up here with me. :) It stays light quite late here. It is really on the wrong time zone the taxi driver told me and so it is dark until about 9:30 in the morning and doesn't get dark until about 10 p.m. We will be out until about 9 apparently.

It is cool out there but not windy at least. I guess we will stop at a Reindeer station whatever that is. Maybe where Rudolph hangs out?

I walked along to the Igloo church today and was able to pop in before the service and have a look at it - very interesting. I then slithered out before the service started.

I will have to find a place to eat this afternoon - had planned to treat myself to a meal at the MacKenzie Inn tonight but they don't open for dinner until 6 p.m. By the time we are done with the boat trip I am sure all I will want is a cup of hot chocolate and a hot bath! It should be fun though she said hopefully.

I ended up picking up a veggie wrap last night and taking it back to the B & B. I may try the pizza thing this afternoon - I just have to be brave enough to walk into the restaurant and check it out. Like I mentioned they all look a bit dodgy from the outside. I guess if I am really desparate I can get a personal pan pizza from the little Pizza Hut place in the Northmart store. A bit of a local hang out.

My flight leaves around 1 p.m. tomorrow - I think I've had enough of Inuvik. My feet have been bothering me quite a bit so long hikes haven't been on the agenda and there's really nowhere to go. I was going to walk out on the highway to get a picture of the Welcome to Inuvik sign but did manage to get a postcard of it plus I can always get the taxi driver to stop on the way to the airport tomorrow. I guess if I wasn't so cheap I would go out to the white husky kennels but I think she is a bit of a rip off artist. Still hoping that Beck's kennels in Yellowknife will come through for me but oh well it sounds like dog sledding will have to wait for another trip north. (still have to do Whitehorse and Churchhill) The dogs here aren't training yet which seems strange as winter is fast approaching.

I think I will treat myself to another fish and chips dinner at Bullock's Bistro tomorrow night in Yellowknife - unless I am out with the dogs....

Unless flights get delayed (heaven forbid) this will be my last post until I get back home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A walk from Westminster to St Paul's Cathedral

I have decided to put the Thames Path on hold until I am back in London next month and we have more Spring like weather...I will be going into a more rural area that is prone to flooding as well.  I am staying at about five miles maximum a day as well...my knees and feet have been giving me major grief so I am not pushing myself. However that doesn't mean I don't want to walk.  One of my favourite British Walking Federation walks is one that starts at Westminster tube station and covers 10km to St Katherines Docks just east of the Tower of London.  Yesterday I walked as far as St Paul's and will do the rest of the walk in the next couple of days.  Normally I do this entire 10 km walk my first day in London but not this time... So here are some of the highlights along the way....what a gorgeous day it was.  A different view of Big Ben Can you believe this was my first time on Parliament Square Another hero on Parliament Square Classic ...

The Colourful houses of Mazatlan, Mexico

Well this isn't even Throwback Thursday and I am reminiscing about my (all too short) week in Mazatlan, Mexcico in January of 2010.  It was one of my best holidays EVER.  I stayed in a delightful little hotel called La Siesta which was on the waterfront in the central part of town.(known as centro) overlooking the ocean.   I walked around the town photographing buildings, ocean views, dogs....visited the Mercado, attended a fantastic Flamenco dance performance in the restored Teatro (theatre), toasted the sunset with a beer from my balcony every evening and ate at some wonderful restaurants.  I also took a couple of day trips which were okay but my time in Mazatlan overshadowed anything else I did. My one foray into the Gold (tourist) Zone left me horrified and scampering back to my beloved Centro.  And did I mention I did this as a solo trip?  Mexico has had a lot of bad press lately and while there ARE bad things going on there I still believe the average...

Cowboys and Outlaws in the Big Muddy of Saskatchewan

One of the (very) few advantages of being stuck at home during this pandemic has been an opportunity to see more of my home province of Saskatchewan.  Last summer and fall not only did I do a couple of day trips with friends but I took four day tours with Engelheim transport, a local Regina company.   I have to admit my favourite day out was the "Big Muddy Valley and Outlaws" tour. While I had been to the Big Muddy previously many years back I was eager to revisit and learn more of its history.   So in early October, I hopped on board and off we went.  The bus is only booked to half capacity so it was easy to social distance, hand gel was a must each time we boarded the bus,  masks were required when you got on and off the bus and in any buildings we visited.  I felt totally safe and oh my, it was so good to have an adventure!!  Despite the name the Big Muddy isn't a big huge puddle of mud but a valley of badlands that were formed from a glac...