Skip to main content

Howdy from Scottsdale

Well I'm at the Scottsdale Public library right now. Finally made it here. I arrived 24 hours later than expected due to a snow storm in Denver and was rerouted on Delta via Minneapolis. The fella at Regina airport did not check me in at all. (the people behind me got on the flight okay as the guy finally figured out how to do their job) It was funny as I was paged on the plane before we left Regina and handed a set of "new" tickets that looked just like the old ones - with 'seats to be assigned' on them. I thought it was sorted. I went to the gate and after putting us off for ages they finally talked to us poor "seatless" people and that's when it was discovered I was never checked in for the flight. The fellow who was dealing with me didn't seem to know what he was doing and was dealing with some security issue and he said he "didn't know" if I was on the flight or not. Well I stood there waiting while he was on the phone and figured it out when my plane backed out of the jetway. Okay...finally another agent came along (who had been a real bitch to a passenger earlier) and I thought "oh no" but she was fine with me....I got a $400 travel voucher, a hotel voucher and vouchers for two meals. (only used one) By this time I was absolutely exhausted - due to the stress and lack of sleep the night before I could barely find my way to the main terminal to get the shuttle. Anyway was so keyed up I could barely sleep. Off on the flight the next day and here I am.

My hotel is fine - clean and does the job. The breakfast leaves a bit to be desired. Coffee with instant creamer and a pastry in plastic just doesn't do it for me although I noticed this morning they had bananas too. Tomorrow I will eat there.

I did the Phoenix downtown 6 km walk which was interesting. I looked inside the State Capital - it has a wonderful bronze dome and is refreshingly different from others I've seen. I also visited the Wells Fargo musuem where I got photographed inside a stage coach and had my picture taken on money. I went to buy a pen and the guy gave it to me for free - hey, it's the little things right? I like downtown Phoenix and their LRT is wonderful - so new and modern. It literally glides...love it.

Had supper at Sam's Southwestern cuisine - had shrimp tacos which were delish. Sat outside by a fountain and loved it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A walk from Westminster to St Paul's Cathedral

I have decided to put the Thames Path on hold until I am back in London next month and we have more Spring like weather...I will be going into a more rural area that is prone to flooding as well.  I am staying at about five miles maximum a day as well...my knees and feet have been giving me major grief so I am not pushing myself. However that doesn't mean I don't want to walk.  One of my favourite British Walking Federation walks is one that starts at Westminster tube station and covers 10km to St Katherines Docks just east of the Tower of London.  Yesterday I walked as far as St Paul's and will do the rest of the walk in the next couple of days.  Normally I do this entire 10 km walk my first day in London but not this time... So here are some of the highlights along the way....what a gorgeous day it was.  A different view of Big Ben Can you believe this was my first time on Parliament Square Another hero on Parliament Square Classic ...

The Colourful houses of Mazatlan, Mexico

Well this isn't even Throwback Thursday and I am reminiscing about my (all too short) week in Mazatlan, Mexcico in January of 2010.  It was one of my best holidays EVER.  I stayed in a delightful little hotel called La Siesta which was on the waterfront in the central part of town.(known as centro) overlooking the ocean.   I walked around the town photographing buildings, ocean views, dogs....visited the Mercado, attended a fantastic Flamenco dance performance in the restored Teatro (theatre), toasted the sunset with a beer from my balcony every evening and ate at some wonderful restaurants.  I also took a couple of day trips which were okay but my time in Mazatlan overshadowed anything else I did. My one foray into the Gold (tourist) Zone left me horrified and scampering back to my beloved Centro.  And did I mention I did this as a solo trip?  Mexico has had a lot of bad press lately and while there ARE bad things going on there I still believe the average...

Cowboys and Outlaws in the Big Muddy of Saskatchewan

One of the (very) few advantages of being stuck at home during this pandemic has been an opportunity to see more of my home province of Saskatchewan.  Last summer and fall not only did I do a couple of day trips with friends but I took four day tours with Engelheim transport, a local Regina company.   I have to admit my favourite day out was the "Big Muddy Valley and Outlaws" tour. While I had been to the Big Muddy previously many years back I was eager to revisit and learn more of its history.   So in early October, I hopped on board and off we went.  The bus is only booked to half capacity so it was easy to social distance, hand gel was a must each time we boarded the bus,  masks were required when you got on and off the bus and in any buildings we visited.  I felt totally safe and oh my, it was so good to have an adventure!!  Despite the name the Big Muddy isn't a big huge puddle of mud but a valley of badlands that were formed from a glac...