Skip to main content

Four more sleeps..

Until the next adventure...Thursday I fly off to Halifax. Yippee, can't wait. I love Halifax. I will be staying at the dorms at St. Mary's University - for $42 a night which includes tax and brekky you can't go wrong..Well maybe some people may think you can but I am used to staying in cheap basic places. If I didn't I couldn't afford all these trips. When I do stay in a nice place (such as The Cambridge Suites during the walking convention in Sydney - sharing a room) it makes it all that much more exciting.

I was registered for the Blue Nose Half marathon in Halifax a week from today but have had to downgrade due to not being in shape to do it. (no one's fault but my own) I should be able to do 10km and what's neat is that the 10k goes over the bridge into Dartmouth which will be so much fun whereas the half marathon didn't - it goes into Pleasant Park which I will cover on one of my own walks. Better to discover new places. I can't wait to attend the runners expo and attend the pasta party. I love all the hype of marathons but the best part is the MEDAL - yes even the 10k people get a medal. It's all about the hardware! I sure hope I do better next Sunday than I did on my 10k today - I feel like I got the shit kicked out of me. I think it's the heat. Just not used to it yet - I need to get my butt out the door earlier now.

Anyway back to Halifax I plan to visit the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic as well as do a couple of the club walks there - visit an Irish pub called Durty Nellie's and generally enjoy myself. Visit Cows ice cream....moooooo. Or should I say oink! :) Not too much time there...but I plan to hit the ground running. Ah the ocean the ocean...can't wait!

Anyway after Halifax or during Halifax I will be flying off to St. Johns Newfoundland for 48 hours...will be staying at a hostel called the Foggy Rock hostel...it looks new and very nice. Looks like a B & B with the last B. Sadly the couple who run the B & B I stayed at two years ago have retired. They recommended another place but it was too much money for my budget. I love St. Johns and I love the people there.

Then on to Sydney for the CVF convention which will be fun - hopefully the meetings wont' be too long. When I left SaskTel I swore NO MORE MEETINGS but somehow meetings for a walking club aren't as dire and boring and shitty (can you tell I enjoyed my SaskTel meetings?) as the ones I had to particpate in at SaskTel. After the convention I will be renting a car and heading around the Cabot Trail staying in B & B's and hopefully weather permitting taking loads of photos and doing some amazing hiking.

Should be a fun trip.

Stay tuned!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A walk from Westminster to St Paul's Cathedral

I have decided to put the Thames Path on hold until I am back in London next month and we have more Spring like weather...I will be going into a more rural area that is prone to flooding as well.  I am staying at about five miles maximum a day as well...my knees and feet have been giving me major grief so I am not pushing myself. However that doesn't mean I don't want to walk.  One of my favourite British Walking Federation walks is one that starts at Westminster tube station and covers 10km to St Katherines Docks just east of the Tower of London.  Yesterday I walked as far as St Paul's and will do the rest of the walk in the next couple of days.  Normally I do this entire 10 km walk my first day in London but not this time... So here are some of the highlights along the way....what a gorgeous day it was.  A different view of Big Ben Can you believe this was my first time on Parliament Square Another hero on Parliament Square Classic ...

The Colourful houses of Mazatlan, Mexico

Well this isn't even Throwback Thursday and I am reminiscing about my (all too short) week in Mazatlan, Mexcico in January of 2010.  It was one of my best holidays EVER.  I stayed in a delightful little hotel called La Siesta which was on the waterfront in the central part of town.(known as centro) overlooking the ocean.   I walked around the town photographing buildings, ocean views, dogs....visited the Mercado, attended a fantastic Flamenco dance performance in the restored Teatro (theatre), toasted the sunset with a beer from my balcony every evening and ate at some wonderful restaurants.  I also took a couple of day trips which were okay but my time in Mazatlan overshadowed anything else I did. My one foray into the Gold (tourist) Zone left me horrified and scampering back to my beloved Centro.  And did I mention I did this as a solo trip?  Mexico has had a lot of bad press lately and while there ARE bad things going on there I still believe the average...

Cowboys and Outlaws in the Big Muddy of Saskatchewan

One of the (very) few advantages of being stuck at home during this pandemic has been an opportunity to see more of my home province of Saskatchewan.  Last summer and fall not only did I do a couple of day trips with friends but I took four day tours with Engelheim transport, a local Regina company.   I have to admit my favourite day out was the "Big Muddy Valley and Outlaws" tour. While I had been to the Big Muddy previously many years back I was eager to revisit and learn more of its history.   So in early October, I hopped on board and off we went.  The bus is only booked to half capacity so it was easy to social distance, hand gel was a must each time we boarded the bus,  masks were required when you got on and off the bus and in any buildings we visited.  I felt totally safe and oh my, it was so good to have an adventure!!  Despite the name the Big Muddy isn't a big huge puddle of mud but a valley of badlands that were formed from a glac...