Skip to main content

Hello from Cape Breton



Well here I am at the Baddock library which is a two minute walk from my B & B. (Mother Gaelic's B & B). I decided not to do the Cabot Trail as the prediction is for non stop rain. However...it rained this morning and only overcast this afternoon but then again who knows what it will be like in the mountains. I just didn't feel comfortable doing it on my own if thereis fog and heavy rain. So I can tell my friend Claudia in Germany that I can do the Cabot Trail with her in a couple of years - she said she wanted to meet me in Nova Scotia some day...
I had a delightful day. This morning I drove to Uisge Ban water falls named to do some hiking. As luck would have it I met a couple of people from Victoria who were here for the walking convention (I had run into them yesterday and we had a chat) so they walked back to the falls with me and then we did the walk along the river together. It was raining when I started but the huge trees provided shelter and then it stopped. What a wonderful walk - enjoyed it so much. It was so kind of them to walk back with me as there was a part that was a bit tricky so was able to borrow a walking stick so I had two. I am a little nervous with bears & a local coyote problem. (there is a presentation on them here at the library tonight so will attend)

Then I drop to the Highland Village in Iona. I got to take a little ferry across the narrows so that was fun. The Highland Village was fantastic - enjoyed it so much. Not only all the period houses with friendly people inside but there was a mama Highland cow with her new baby. So adorable! I enjoyed the village so much. So I have made lemonade out of lemons...if I hadn't skipped the Cabot Trail I never would have seen this as I wouldn't have had time. The scenery & weather reminds me of Scotland so much. Love it here.

Not sure what tomorrow will bring. I was able to cancel my B & B's on the trail without any problems so that's good.

Next up is a seafood dinner - the place was closed yesterday but open now so may even go for it and have a whole lobster. I've never had one so it guess it's about time...I've had lobster tails and lobster rolls....

Yesterday I did the 10km Baddeck walk and ran into a couple of Volksporters from near Halifax so walked with them and then went to the Alexander Graham Bell musuem which was near the end of the walk - had been there before but it has changed. What an amazing man.
Hopefully I can get back on the 'net before the end of the trip.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A walk from Westminster to St Paul's Cathedral

I have decided to put the Thames Path on hold until I am back in London next month and we have more Spring like weather...I will be going into a more rural area that is prone to flooding as well.  I am staying at about five miles maximum a day as well...my knees and feet have been giving me major grief so I am not pushing myself. However that doesn't mean I don't want to walk.  One of my favourite British Walking Federation walks is one that starts at Westminster tube station and covers 10km to St Katherines Docks just east of the Tower of London.  Yesterday I walked as far as St Paul's and will do the rest of the walk in the next couple of days.  Normally I do this entire 10 km walk my first day in London but not this time... So here are some of the highlights along the way....what a gorgeous day it was.  A different view of Big Ben Can you believe this was my first time on Parliament Square Another hero on Parliament Square Classic ...

The Colourful houses of Mazatlan, Mexico

Well this isn't even Throwback Thursday and I am reminiscing about my (all too short) week in Mazatlan, Mexcico in January of 2010.  It was one of my best holidays EVER.  I stayed in a delightful little hotel called La Siesta which was on the waterfront in the central part of town.(known as centro) overlooking the ocean.   I walked around the town photographing buildings, ocean views, dogs....visited the Mercado, attended a fantastic Flamenco dance performance in the restored Teatro (theatre), toasted the sunset with a beer from my balcony every evening and ate at some wonderful restaurants.  I also took a couple of day trips which were okay but my time in Mazatlan overshadowed anything else I did. My one foray into the Gold (tourist) Zone left me horrified and scampering back to my beloved Centro.  And did I mention I did this as a solo trip?  Mexico has had a lot of bad press lately and while there ARE bad things going on there I still believe the average...

Cowboys and Outlaws in the Big Muddy of Saskatchewan

One of the (very) few advantages of being stuck at home during this pandemic has been an opportunity to see more of my home province of Saskatchewan.  Last summer and fall not only did I do a couple of day trips with friends but I took four day tours with Engelheim transport, a local Regina company.   I have to admit my favourite day out was the "Big Muddy Valley and Outlaws" tour. While I had been to the Big Muddy previously many years back I was eager to revisit and learn more of its history.   So in early October, I hopped on board and off we went.  The bus is only booked to half capacity so it was easy to social distance, hand gel was a must each time we boarded the bus,  masks were required when you got on and off the bus and in any buildings we visited.  I felt totally safe and oh my, it was so good to have an adventure!!  Despite the name the Big Muddy isn't a big huge puddle of mud but a valley of badlands that were formed from a glac...