Skip to main content

Still bloggin





Above left - Table Head in Glace Bay - this is the site where Marconi sent his first transatlantic east to west telegraph to England. Above right - My rental car (Nissan Sentra) by the ocean in Glace Bay.


Am at Sydney library now - walked by here on the way back to my car. Have been doing some retail therapy here and had my last lobster roll for a late lunch. Celtic music playing in the background at the restaurant - there is a live concert tonight but way past my bedtime - 10:30!!! If I had been staying where we stayed for the convention I'd have gone over but not when I am a half hour drive away as I would want a drinkie poo or two.... I am told there won't be much selection of restaurants in Glace Bay so that is why I had lunch here....my gas tank is full so trying to minimize the driving.

The sun is trying to come out so may do the Glace Bay walk if there is a 5 km option - will see. When I get back to the car will phone the B & B and see if they are in, etc. At least the rain has stopped and that is a GOOD thing.

I decided to come downtown as the road to Glace Bay is just fast food restaurants and Squallmart, etc. I avoid those at home so why bother here.

Hoping I can get to the Glace Bay harbour to say goodbye to the ocean...:(

Yes I did as you can see from the above photos. The morning I flew out I did a 5 km walk in downtown Glace Bay.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A walk from Westminster to St Paul's Cathedral

I have decided to put the Thames Path on hold until I am back in London next month and we have more Spring like weather...I will be going into a more rural area that is prone to flooding as well.  I am staying at about five miles maximum a day as well...my knees and feet have been giving me major grief so I am not pushing myself. However that doesn't mean I don't want to walk.  One of my favourite British Walking Federation walks is one that starts at Westminster tube station and covers 10km to St Katherines Docks just east of the Tower of London.  Yesterday I walked as far as St Paul's and will do the rest of the walk in the next couple of days.  Normally I do this entire 10 km walk my first day in London but not this time... So here are some of the highlights along the way....what a gorgeous day it was.  A different view of Big Ben Can you believe this was my first time on Parliament Square Another hero on Parliament Square Classic ...

The Colourful houses of Mazatlan, Mexico

Well this isn't even Throwback Thursday and I am reminiscing about my (all too short) week in Mazatlan, Mexcico in January of 2010.  It was one of my best holidays EVER.  I stayed in a delightful little hotel called La Siesta which was on the waterfront in the central part of town.(known as centro) overlooking the ocean.   I walked around the town photographing buildings, ocean views, dogs....visited the Mercado, attended a fantastic Flamenco dance performance in the restored Teatro (theatre), toasted the sunset with a beer from my balcony every evening and ate at some wonderful restaurants.  I also took a couple of day trips which were okay but my time in Mazatlan overshadowed anything else I did. My one foray into the Gold (tourist) Zone left me horrified and scampering back to my beloved Centro.  And did I mention I did this as a solo trip?  Mexico has had a lot of bad press lately and while there ARE bad things going on there I still believe the average...

Cowboys and Outlaws in the Big Muddy of Saskatchewan

One of the (very) few advantages of being stuck at home during this pandemic has been an opportunity to see more of my home province of Saskatchewan.  Last summer and fall not only did I do a couple of day trips with friends but I took four day tours with Engelheim transport, a local Regina company.   I have to admit my favourite day out was the "Big Muddy Valley and Outlaws" tour. While I had been to the Big Muddy previously many years back I was eager to revisit and learn more of its history.   So in early October, I hopped on board and off we went.  The bus is only booked to half capacity so it was easy to social distance, hand gel was a must each time we boarded the bus,  masks were required when you got on and off the bus and in any buildings we visited.  I felt totally safe and oh my, it was so good to have an adventure!!  Despite the name the Big Muddy isn't a big huge puddle of mud but a valley of badlands that were formed from a glac...