Skip to main content

Reflections on Whitehorse....

Well here it is nearly a month later and I realize I didn't finish blogging about my trip to Whitehorse. What a wonderful place. Somehow it didn't seem "north" to me...I guess because I've been north of the Arctic Circle and to Iqaluit it just seemed like northern B.C. to me and not the north. It was strange as I don't recall seeing many aboriginals either...hmm.....anyway I still loved that place and do plan to go back at least once - probably one summer and one winter holiday. Gotta go back and see my Sweetie, Mischief, Destiny and Shelby.....and see Miles Canyon and the Wildlife Park...BETTER WEATHER.

The last morning I ended up going to the Baked Cafe for another ham, cheese and egg panini as the Chocolate Claim did not have their sourdough cinammon buns ready yet and they weren't going to be ready for a half hour...anyway I had my breakfast and back to the hostel for a chat with the others. A lady who was heading up to Haines Junction gave me a ride to the airport - she got "misplaced" so got a bit of a tour of the outskirts of Whitehorse and a closer view of the nearby mountains. Of course it was fairly sunny as I was leaving! The mgr of the hostel said I could walk around the back of the runway and look over the city but when I took a look at the length I would have to walk and the time before my flight I decided..maybe not!! I did not realize that there were stairs up the hill behind the hostel to the back of the airport...the very fit Swiss 'round the world' couple were planning to walk to the airport....not me!!!

Enjoyed the hostel and would definitely stay there again..a bit rough around the edges perhaps but it beats the hotel prices and has the bonus of meeting people from all over. While I was there there was the Swiss couple taking a one year trip around the world (next stop Vancouver then on to Peru and the rest of South America, India, SE Asia..), a couple of fellas from Germany getting ready to go hiking in Kluane park and a fellow from Tasmania who had taken the hound up from Vancouver. As well as some Canadians. And a mixed breed dog named Angus!

Next time perhaps I can zip over to Juneau so I can walk the capital of Alaska - for that I have to go in the high season. Which means probably a trip up on the hound unless I get really flush with my air miles. No plans to visit the rest until perhaps the AVA (American walking club) NW Conference in..wait for it...2018....I shudder to think what age I will be then.....

Now I am getting revved up for my next adventure....I fly to London on December 8th then on to Nepal on Dec. 17th. I cannot wait. My brand new (three hours..) duffle bag is sitting open and I've already thrown some things in. I am not a list maker and never have been - and have only forgotten anything major once. Film when I was going to Kenya in 1982 and that was because I changed carry ons at the last minute and the lead bag was tucked in a corner. That problem was expensive (film in London is not cheap) but solveable...anyway I keep being told to make lists and I keep NOT making them!!!

Making all sorts of plans for London like the Nutcracker with my friend Judi, the Messiah, a candlelit Christmas carol concert in St. Martins in the Fields. And more!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more