Skip to main content

Crazy place

Well I read Kathmandu (drop the h to pronounce it) was a crazy place and it surely is. By the way I am typing this by the pool..yeah it's a tough life. I am struggling to read the screen though so excuse any typos - that damn sun - well what can shine through the pollution. Although not too bad today as the sky is fairly blue

I walked into Thamel this moring and walking around for about an hour....WOW. I am still adjusting to the third world country thing....culture shock. Yeah I've been places like this before but it always takes me aback at first. Thamel is the shopping/tourist hub with narrow roads crammed with shops on either side and motocycles, cars and bikes racing down the street. Luckily mostly one way...lots of horns blaring which I can hear from here now. I kept track of where I was as didn't want to get lost. checkedf out on shop and said I'd be back (uh huh..) but did not buy anything as too early and too overwhelming but I did get an idea of what I want. Definitely a wall hanging.

Came to a square where people were selling vegetables and it had a temple in the middle - no clue where. At that point I turned around and made my way back - two little girls wanted to pose for a picture for me to see it on the screen and no money changed hands - how refreshing. I have heard the Nepalese have more pride than the Indians although I did some one beggar. it breaks my heart to see that - also saw a little dog obviously dying on the side of the road. I said I am sorry sweetheart but of course could not touch.... Coming back I used the other side of the street so woudl not see the dog and big mistake - had to cross over the street which was a nightmare and probably took a year off my life. Hopefully the year where I am in the dementia unit at the nursing home!

Well this is a crazy place for sure and I have already used my puffer once and will do it again as I find the fumes do bother me.

I feel like I should be out there exploring and my friends who think I am so brave...ha ha. Wel I do't think it's fear at all but the noise and having to have eyes in the back of your head...I will be braving Thamel again to do some shopping but hopefully not on my own. I hope there are some friendly people on this tour - there usually are. Just hope there are some single people or at least couples who aren't tied at the hip - that is such a drag.

Once I get into the country it will be much calmer and can't wait to see the mountains. You can see them from here thrugh the haze but not the same as Iwill see them...she says hopefully. I have gotten internet access for a day so will be one again later.

The sun is really bright and hard to read my screen on the netbook - yeah I know everyone realy feelks sorry for me...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A walk from Westminster to St Paul's Cathedral

I have decided to put the Thames Path on hold until I am back in London next month and we have more Spring like weather...I will be going into a more rural area that is prone to flooding as well.  I am staying at about five miles maximum a day as well...my knees and feet have been giving me major grief so I am not pushing myself. However that doesn't mean I don't want to walk.  One of my favourite British Walking Federation walks is one that starts at Westminster tube station and covers 10km to St Katherines Docks just east of the Tower of London.  Yesterday I walked as far as St Paul's and will do the rest of the walk in the next couple of days.  Normally I do this entire 10 km walk my first day in London but not this time... So here are some of the highlights along the way....what a gorgeous day it was.  A different view of Big Ben Can you believe this was my first time on Parliament Square Another hero on Parliament Square Classic ...

The Colourful houses of Mazatlan, Mexico

Well this isn't even Throwback Thursday and I am reminiscing about my (all too short) week in Mazatlan, Mexcico in January of 2010.  It was one of my best holidays EVER.  I stayed in a delightful little hotel called La Siesta which was on the waterfront in the central part of town.(known as centro) overlooking the ocean.   I walked around the town photographing buildings, ocean views, dogs....visited the Mercado, attended a fantastic Flamenco dance performance in the restored Teatro (theatre), toasted the sunset with a beer from my balcony every evening and ate at some wonderful restaurants.  I also took a couple of day trips which were okay but my time in Mazatlan overshadowed anything else I did. My one foray into the Gold (tourist) Zone left me horrified and scampering back to my beloved Centro.  And did I mention I did this as a solo trip?  Mexico has had a lot of bad press lately and while there ARE bad things going on there I still believe the average...

Cowboys and Outlaws in the Big Muddy of Saskatchewan

One of the (very) few advantages of being stuck at home during this pandemic has been an opportunity to see more of my home province of Saskatchewan.  Last summer and fall not only did I do a couple of day trips with friends but I took four day tours with Engelheim transport, a local Regina company.   I have to admit my favourite day out was the "Big Muddy Valley and Outlaws" tour. While I had been to the Big Muddy previously many years back I was eager to revisit and learn more of its history.   So in early October, I hopped on board and off we went.  The bus is only booked to half capacity so it was easy to social distance, hand gel was a must each time we boarded the bus,  masks were required when you got on and off the bus and in any buildings we visited.  I felt totally safe and oh my, it was so good to have an adventure!!  Despite the name the Big Muddy isn't a big huge puddle of mud but a valley of badlands that were formed from a glac...