Skip to main content

Still just me...

The tour leader told me the rest of the group won't be arriving tomorrow...not until Tuesday at least now. Anyway for now I am going on a walking tour of Durbar Square in the morning that was scheduled so get a one on one tour. He also mentioned something in the afternoon but I could not really understand what he meant. Guess I will find out!!! I feel for the people who are stranded at Heathrow...well not being able to fly out - I'd rather be here than at the airport that's for sure. They will lose some of the tour - hopefully they don't end up cancelling the tour but it doesn't sound like it. I wonder if some will cancel out though...it must be so frustrating. They will all be exhausted when they get here and I will be wanting to talk their ears off as must admit I am starting to get a bit lonely. Kathmandu isn't the easiest city and I must look into getting a face mask as my throat is burning...I don't want to end up getting sick. Quite a few of the locals here wear face masks due to the pollution. Time for another go at the puffer I think.

I walked out again but did not go far....just too crazy and there is a blackout so can only imagine what it will be like later - only those with generators like this hotel have power. This happens about ten hours a day here due to not having enough energy resources for the amount of people,

I guess I will go back to Thamel on Tuesday and buy what I want as there won't be time when I get back here...not sure what is available in other places. I will ask the tour leader tomorrow.

Not sure if I mentioned the street children - very sad, They come here due to poverty or abuse at home thinking they will get a job (some are promised one and end up being abused again) and live on the streets. I have seen two groups - the last one right by the hotel and one was sniffing glue. Their eyes....they are so high....so so sad. Think I will look up a charity that helps them when I get home no sense giving them money and they don't even ask.

Anyway this place has to be seen to be believed...I am hoping that the walking tour tomorrow will change my mind on Kathmandu and I will see the beautiful side of it because right now my opinion is not too positive!!! Once I get out of the city it will be totally different and I can't wait for that!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A walk from Westminster to St Paul's Cathedral

I have decided to put the Thames Path on hold until I am back in London next month and we have more Spring like weather...I will be going into a more rural area that is prone to flooding as well.  I am staying at about five miles maximum a day as well...my knees and feet have been giving me major grief so I am not pushing myself. However that doesn't mean I don't want to walk.  One of my favourite British Walking Federation walks is one that starts at Westminster tube station and covers 10km to St Katherines Docks just east of the Tower of London.  Yesterday I walked as far as St Paul's and will do the rest of the walk in the next couple of days.  Normally I do this entire 10 km walk my first day in London but not this time... So here are some of the highlights along the way....what a gorgeous day it was.  A different view of Big Ben Can you believe this was my first time on Parliament Square Another hero on Parliament Square Classic ...

The Colourful houses of Mazatlan, Mexico

Well this isn't even Throwback Thursday and I am reminiscing about my (all too short) week in Mazatlan, Mexcico in January of 2010.  It was one of my best holidays EVER.  I stayed in a delightful little hotel called La Siesta which was on the waterfront in the central part of town.(known as centro) overlooking the ocean.   I walked around the town photographing buildings, ocean views, dogs....visited the Mercado, attended a fantastic Flamenco dance performance in the restored Teatro (theatre), toasted the sunset with a beer from my balcony every evening and ate at some wonderful restaurants.  I also took a couple of day trips which were okay but my time in Mazatlan overshadowed anything else I did. My one foray into the Gold (tourist) Zone left me horrified and scampering back to my beloved Centro.  And did I mention I did this as a solo trip?  Mexico has had a lot of bad press lately and while there ARE bad things going on there I still believe the average...

Cowboys and Outlaws in the Big Muddy of Saskatchewan

One of the (very) few advantages of being stuck at home during this pandemic has been an opportunity to see more of my home province of Saskatchewan.  Last summer and fall not only did I do a couple of day trips with friends but I took four day tours with Engelheim transport, a local Regina company.   I have to admit my favourite day out was the "Big Muddy Valley and Outlaws" tour. While I had been to the Big Muddy previously many years back I was eager to revisit and learn more of its history.   So in early October, I hopped on board and off we went.  The bus is only booked to half capacity so it was easy to social distance, hand gel was a must each time we boarded the bus,  masks were required when you got on and off the bus and in any buildings we visited.  I felt totally safe and oh my, it was so good to have an adventure!!  Despite the name the Big Muddy isn't a big huge puddle of mud but a valley of badlands that were formed from a glac...