Skip to main content

Another day

Well the last two posts I just posted now - they were not being posted from the wifi at Simon's which is still very erratic. So I am at the internet cafe with a decaf cappucino in front of me. I rarely order anything but needed something warm tonight - raining out there. But hey, better than snow!

Just got back on the bus from Putney. I had supper at a pub there - can't remember the name but had steak and kidney pudding with chips and peas. (and not the mushy kind either...yeck) It was really good - I was in need of a real pub meal.

Today was a museum day - I started off at the Wellcome museum near Euston station. He was a pharmacist but into all things medical and a few things not. What a wild collection of items - everything from Charles Darwin's walking stick to a stone animals in the shape of male organs (yes really and I've got the picture to prove it). There was also an exhibit on High Society - thought it was about how the other half lives but was about drug taking...interesting. Really a unique place - and my kind of price...free.

Then on to the Ragged School museum in Mile End. I had never been in that area of the east end before so that was interesting - walked along the Regent's Canal there for about ten minutes. Definitely something I'd like to do in warmer weather. Anyway the Ragged school was set up for the poor children of the east end..hence called Ragged as that's what their clothes were. Displays on life in the east end which was a tough life for sure.

Then the tube over to the Victoria and Albert musuem where I saw some original sketches of Beatrix Potter; love her work! It was a great exhibit. That place is vast and you could stay in there for days.

Then by bus to Putney...just because.

I connected with my friend Irene today so we will be meeting up Friday evening for a meal at a pub so that's good.

Tomorrow is Borough market first thing - I told Simon not to fix breakfast as I will have it there. I LOVE Borough market - a foodies heaven. Then perhaps on to Battersea Dogs Home to visit all the doggies there. And from there who knows. I have a list of things to do...I may take a London walks tour tomorrow afternoon. Then tomorrow night is ballet at the Royal Opera House - well more a children's one - Beatrix Potter...oh I can't wait. All those mice dancing!!! I do love my mice! By the way you see mice running around the tracks in the underground - poor little things.



Then on to Putney for something different. And here I am.

Comments

Dena said…
Nice to see you back. For awhile there I thought you had taken ill and were laying low.

Off to Borough Market for a look see!
Enjoy (and eat) for me.

Popular posts from this blog

A walk from Westminster to St Paul's Cathedral

I have decided to put the Thames Path on hold until I am back in London next month and we have more Spring like weather...I will be going into a more rural area that is prone to flooding as well.  I am staying at about five miles maximum a day as well...my knees and feet have been giving me major grief so I am not pushing myself. However that doesn't mean I don't want to walk.  One of my favourite British Walking Federation walks is one that starts at Westminster tube station and covers 10km to St Katherines Docks just east of the Tower of London.  Yesterday I walked as far as St Paul's and will do the rest of the walk in the next couple of days.  Normally I do this entire 10 km walk my first day in London but not this time... So here are some of the highlights along the way....what a gorgeous day it was.  A different view of Big Ben Can you believe this was my first time on Parliament Square Another hero on Parliament Square Classic ...

The Colourful houses of Mazatlan, Mexico

Well this isn't even Throwback Thursday and I am reminiscing about my (all too short) week in Mazatlan, Mexcico in January of 2010.  It was one of my best holidays EVER.  I stayed in a delightful little hotel called La Siesta which was on the waterfront in the central part of town.(known as centro) overlooking the ocean.   I walked around the town photographing buildings, ocean views, dogs....visited the Mercado, attended a fantastic Flamenco dance performance in the restored Teatro (theatre), toasted the sunset with a beer from my balcony every evening and ate at some wonderful restaurants.  I also took a couple of day trips which were okay but my time in Mazatlan overshadowed anything else I did. My one foray into the Gold (tourist) Zone left me horrified and scampering back to my beloved Centro.  And did I mention I did this as a solo trip?  Mexico has had a lot of bad press lately and while there ARE bad things going on there I still believe the average...

Cowboys and Outlaws in the Big Muddy of Saskatchewan

One of the (very) few advantages of being stuck at home during this pandemic has been an opportunity to see more of my home province of Saskatchewan.  Last summer and fall not only did I do a couple of day trips with friends but I took four day tours with Engelheim transport, a local Regina company.   I have to admit my favourite day out was the "Big Muddy Valley and Outlaws" tour. While I had been to the Big Muddy previously many years back I was eager to revisit and learn more of its history.   So in early October, I hopped on board and off we went.  The bus is only booked to half capacity so it was easy to social distance, hand gel was a must each time we boarded the bus,  masks were required when you got on and off the bus and in any buildings we visited.  I felt totally safe and oh my, it was so good to have an adventure!!  Despite the name the Big Muddy isn't a big huge puddle of mud but a valley of badlands that were formed from a glac...