Skip to main content

Catching up

Well the wifi is wonky this morning so who knows when this will get posted.

I headed off yesterday morning to Wood Green tube station to finish off the Hampstead/Highgate walk. It was a great day - cold but clear with blue skys and sunshine. As someone had been beaten within an inch of their life in Alexandria Park a few days ago I decided to go on the weekend when there were more people. It is a lovely park. I had seen a sign for a farmers market so decided to visit - but couldn't see one. At Alexandria palace I asked a tall gentleman with a white beard and white hair (but no wrinkly old man skin) - well he answered but I couldn't tell you what he said. He had a lovely northern accent and his eyes twinkled and oh my....too bad his wife or whoever was with him. He reminded me of Paul..(Paul who?) and thought but he seems like somebody. Well then I realized later...the actor John Alderton. I've googled him but can't find any current pictures but anyway it was a lovely treat. :) Whowever he was! Never did see the market! Walked through the park and had a cumberland sausage sandwich and mushrooms and a cappucino at the Grove cafe in the park. (I had a very light breakfast here as I knew I'd be stopping there) I always stop there as I love it - the owner is Italian, plays Italian opera and if you are lucky (like yesterday) sings along. He is a real character. Then I carried on through Highgate woods (which is rather lonely during the week so another reason to go on a weekend) and got the bus to the tube station then on to Trafalgar Square and St. James Park. I love my St. James Park. My finger was hitting the shutter like a mad woman - a beautiful day for photography. I then took the tube to Bermondsey and had a Sunday roast in a restaurant - had wanted to find a pub but by then was getting pretty hungry. Back here for a restful evening.

Priscilla, the Desert Queen was good. The music was great - no orchestra or live band though. But it was fun and outrageous - I am sure it would offend many people with cross dressers, homeosexuality,a lot of swearing etc. but I thought it was funny. Not something I'd want to see again though as there are too many other plays and musicals here to see.

Today I am hopefully off to Richmond to do a 10km walk.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A walk from Westminster to St Paul's Cathedral

I have decided to put the Thames Path on hold until I am back in London next month and we have more Spring like weather...I will be going into a more rural area that is prone to flooding as well.  I am staying at about five miles maximum a day as well...my knees and feet have been giving me major grief so I am not pushing myself. However that doesn't mean I don't want to walk.  One of my favourite British Walking Federation walks is one that starts at Westminster tube station and covers 10km to St Katherines Docks just east of the Tower of London.  Yesterday I walked as far as St Paul's and will do the rest of the walk in the next couple of days.  Normally I do this entire 10 km walk my first day in London but not this time... So here are some of the highlights along the way....what a gorgeous day it was.  A different view of Big Ben Can you believe this was my first time on Parliament Square Another hero on Parliament Square Classic ...

The Colourful houses of Mazatlan, Mexico

Well this isn't even Throwback Thursday and I am reminiscing about my (all too short) week in Mazatlan, Mexcico in January of 2010.  It was one of my best holidays EVER.  I stayed in a delightful little hotel called La Siesta which was on the waterfront in the central part of town.(known as centro) overlooking the ocean.   I walked around the town photographing buildings, ocean views, dogs....visited the Mercado, attended a fantastic Flamenco dance performance in the restored Teatro (theatre), toasted the sunset with a beer from my balcony every evening and ate at some wonderful restaurants.  I also took a couple of day trips which were okay but my time in Mazatlan overshadowed anything else I did. My one foray into the Gold (tourist) Zone left me horrified and scampering back to my beloved Centro.  And did I mention I did this as a solo trip?  Mexico has had a lot of bad press lately and while there ARE bad things going on there I still believe the average...

Cowboys and Outlaws in the Big Muddy of Saskatchewan

One of the (very) few advantages of being stuck at home during this pandemic has been an opportunity to see more of my home province of Saskatchewan.  Last summer and fall not only did I do a couple of day trips with friends but I took four day tours with Engelheim transport, a local Regina company.   I have to admit my favourite day out was the "Big Muddy Valley and Outlaws" tour. While I had been to the Big Muddy previously many years back I was eager to revisit and learn more of its history.   So in early October, I hopped on board and off we went.  The bus is only booked to half capacity so it was easy to social distance, hand gel was a must each time we boarded the bus,  masks were required when you got on and off the bus and in any buildings we visited.  I felt totally safe and oh my, it was so good to have an adventure!!  Despite the name the Big Muddy isn't a big huge puddle of mud but a valley of badlands that were formed from a glac...