Skip to main content

Going to university

Well not really but did do a 5 km walk at the university of Victoria. I started off the day with eggs bennie here at the hotel - decided not to brave the Blue Fox as there are line ups and my feet were still sore. Then I took the bus to a recreation centre where the walk began. I didn't ring the bell soon enough so had to go into the university and back but that was okay. The walk started out on a cedar chip path which was lovely and then into a woodland trail. I really enjoyed this walk. Did walk around the university a bit but it was mainly on paths. Walked through a beautiful garden and then back to the rec centre. Back on the bus - do not mind taking the bus at all - in fact I prefer it as you get to see a lot more and see the locals. Yes it may not be pretty sometimes but that's life. I had lunch at Blue Fish, Red Fish ...or is it the other way around...anyway it is a shack by the water that serves wonderful food. I had a tuna tacone which is grilled albacore tuna with spicy mayo with sprouts in a tortilla then grilled. It was wonderful. I'd love to go back tomorrow and try something else for lunch but I am sure being a weekend the line up will be unreal. I am enjoying my food as you can tell...being here such a short time I want to make every meal special. I salivated at an Indian buffet but thought I can do that at home but I can't have fresh fish by the ocean. Then I headed over to the rec centre in Esquimault for the walking festival. I did a 5 km walk and it was lovely - along the waterfront for some of it. I walked with a couple of ladies from Surrey, B.C. and also a "co-director" Beverly and we compared notes on Nepal as she was there just before me. After the walk there was a social with snacks and a cash bar and I was able to meet a lady who had emailed me about my walks in the Yukon so that was fun. Beverly and David gave me a lift "home" and here I am. Hoping to crawl into the tub tonight. And ponder the big question - where should I have breakfast tomorrow?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A walk from Westminster to St Paul's Cathedral

I have decided to put the Thames Path on hold until I am back in London next month and we have more Spring like weather...I will be going into a more rural area that is prone to flooding as well.  I am staying at about five miles maximum a day as well...my knees and feet have been giving me major grief so I am not pushing myself. However that doesn't mean I don't want to walk.  One of my favourite British Walking Federation walks is one that starts at Westminster tube station and covers 10km to St Katherines Docks just east of the Tower of London.  Yesterday I walked as far as St Paul's and will do the rest of the walk in the next couple of days.  Normally I do this entire 10 km walk my first day in London but not this time... So here are some of the highlights along the way....what a gorgeous day it was.  A different view of Big Ben Can you believe this was my first time on Parliament Square Another hero on Parliament Square Classic ...

The Colourful houses of Mazatlan, Mexico

Well this isn't even Throwback Thursday and I am reminiscing about my (all too short) week in Mazatlan, Mexcico in January of 2010.  It was one of my best holidays EVER.  I stayed in a delightful little hotel called La Siesta which was on the waterfront in the central part of town.(known as centro) overlooking the ocean.   I walked around the town photographing buildings, ocean views, dogs....visited the Mercado, attended a fantastic Flamenco dance performance in the restored Teatro (theatre), toasted the sunset with a beer from my balcony every evening and ate at some wonderful restaurants.  I also took a couple of day trips which were okay but my time in Mazatlan overshadowed anything else I did. My one foray into the Gold (tourist) Zone left me horrified and scampering back to my beloved Centro.  And did I mention I did this as a solo trip?  Mexico has had a lot of bad press lately and while there ARE bad things going on there I still believe the average...

Cowboys and Outlaws in the Big Muddy of Saskatchewan

One of the (very) few advantages of being stuck at home during this pandemic has been an opportunity to see more of my home province of Saskatchewan.  Last summer and fall not only did I do a couple of day trips with friends but I took four day tours with Engelheim transport, a local Regina company.   I have to admit my favourite day out was the "Big Muddy Valley and Outlaws" tour. While I had been to the Big Muddy previously many years back I was eager to revisit and learn more of its history.   So in early October, I hopped on board and off we went.  The bus is only booked to half capacity so it was easy to social distance, hand gel was a must each time we boarded the bus,  masks were required when you got on and off the bus and in any buildings we visited.  I felt totally safe and oh my, it was so good to have an adventure!!  Despite the name the Big Muddy isn't a big huge puddle of mud but a valley of badlands that were formed from a glac...