Skip to main content

Off to Spring

Things are starting to warm up but March/April is an ugly time here. Ice, mud, melting snow, snow....to cheer myself up I have booked to go to Victoria next weekend. Air miles to the rescue! I am just going for four nights due to work commitments and unfortunately I have to fly back at 7 a.m. on Sunday. Ugh! But I looked at another weekend and there were no flights even available on the Sunday. I will be attending part of a walking festival which will be fun but hope I don't embarrass myself. Oh well why not... I seem to be good at that. I will be huffing and puffing along behind all the fit island walkers who can walk all winter long without worrying about breaking bones on the ice.

I am quite excited. And on a roll. The weekend after (Easter) I am off on the hound to visit my family in Lethbridge - that will be fun. Then if I hang in there another four and a half weeks I will be off to Whistler/Vancouver for about ten days for our annual walking conference. (still working on details) Life is getting back to normal. It was a VERY long three months - I fly off on Wednesday and it will be three months to the day that I arrived back home from Nepal/London. THREE VERY LONG HORRIBLE MONTHS THAT I NEVER WANT TO REPEAT AS LONG AS I LIVE. But on the bright side I made lots of money. :)

What a horrid winter...somehow I have to budget to allow for two winter breaks next year.

Anyway I will be staying at the James Bay Inn in Victoria. http://www.jamesbayinn.com/ I had booked the hostel for twenty dollars a night cheaper than thought what the heck I need a treat. If you can call $59 a night a treat...it was a special deal on the Internet and hey I've got my own bathroom and for me that's exciting. No staggering out of the room and down the hall in the middle of the night in my jammies and hoping I don't see anyone. Back in 1996 I stayed at a wonderful B & B in the James Bay area and it is the standard I put all other B & B's against. Can't remember the name of it now sad to say but it has closed and even if it was open I probably wouldn't be able to afford it anymore. But I loved that area so decided to stay there again. I will be close to Beacon Hill park and more importantly close to the ocean.

I will go from work to the airport - how dedicated is that. I plan to do carry on on the way there but all bets are off on the way back esp. as I will be visiting Murchies Tea and Mountain Equipment Co-op (MEC - my mecca!) Whoo hoo - can't wait. Stay tuned!!!

Goodbye melting snow, goodbye dirty puddles, goodbye sneaky ice that would love to feel my ass first thing in the morning...hello daffodils, hello ocean, hello green grass and probably hello rain but what the hell...I'M OUTTA HERE!!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A walk from Westminster to St Paul's Cathedral

I have decided to put the Thames Path on hold until I am back in London next month and we have more Spring like weather...I will be going into a more rural area that is prone to flooding as well.  I am staying at about five miles maximum a day as well...my knees and feet have been giving me major grief so I am not pushing myself. However that doesn't mean I don't want to walk.  One of my favourite British Walking Federation walks is one that starts at Westminster tube station and covers 10km to St Katherines Docks just east of the Tower of London.  Yesterday I walked as far as St Paul's and will do the rest of the walk in the next couple of days.  Normally I do this entire 10 km walk my first day in London but not this time... So here are some of the highlights along the way....what a gorgeous day it was.  A different view of Big Ben Can you believe this was my first time on Parliament Square Another hero on Parliament Square Classic ...

The Colourful houses of Mazatlan, Mexico

Well this isn't even Throwback Thursday and I am reminiscing about my (all too short) week in Mazatlan, Mexcico in January of 2010.  It was one of my best holidays EVER.  I stayed in a delightful little hotel called La Siesta which was on the waterfront in the central part of town.(known as centro) overlooking the ocean.   I walked around the town photographing buildings, ocean views, dogs....visited the Mercado, attended a fantastic Flamenco dance performance in the restored Teatro (theatre), toasted the sunset with a beer from my balcony every evening and ate at some wonderful restaurants.  I also took a couple of day trips which were okay but my time in Mazatlan overshadowed anything else I did. My one foray into the Gold (tourist) Zone left me horrified and scampering back to my beloved Centro.  And did I mention I did this as a solo trip?  Mexico has had a lot of bad press lately and while there ARE bad things going on there I still believe the average...

Cowboys and Outlaws in the Big Muddy of Saskatchewan

One of the (very) few advantages of being stuck at home during this pandemic has been an opportunity to see more of my home province of Saskatchewan.  Last summer and fall not only did I do a couple of day trips with friends but I took four day tours with Engelheim transport, a local Regina company.   I have to admit my favourite day out was the "Big Muddy Valley and Outlaws" tour. While I had been to the Big Muddy previously many years back I was eager to revisit and learn more of its history.   So in early October, I hopped on board and off we went.  The bus is only booked to half capacity so it was easy to social distance, hand gel was a must each time we boarded the bus,  masks were required when you got on and off the bus and in any buildings we visited.  I felt totally safe and oh my, it was so good to have an adventure!!  Despite the name the Big Muddy isn't a big huge puddle of mud but a valley of badlands that were formed from a glac...