Skip to main content

The Windy City Part 2

Sunday July 31st.... We had a relaxing morning and then headed over to Terry's place to pick her up. We were off to Woodfield, a huge shopping mall - but on the way we stopped for lunch. We had Italian beef sandwiches at Portillos which were good and got us all pumped up for some shopping. At Woodfield I bought a couple of things - a pair of walking socks ( I am obsessed with walking socks but I have not had a blister in my ten years plus of long distance walking...some hot spots when I've worn my shoes past their prime but never blisters...) and a turquoise blue Chicago t-shirt which has turned out to be a favourite. Due to having carry on and determined for it to be carry on on the way home (something I regularly fail at) I could not buy much. Back to Gloria's to change and then we were off to the Paul concert at Wrigley Stadium. A friend of Terry and Gloria's accompanied us and being as she knew the manager at the CVS drugstore close to Wrigley we were able to park there which was wonderful. Only a four block walk. We got there early so we could peruse the merchandise on sale - I bought myself a black t-shirt with a picture of Sir Paul on the front and the Wrigley dates on the back. $40. Yikes but oh well it doesn't happen that often. I carried on onto the field - I was in the third row which is the closest I've ever been. Oh for those who say "he must know you by now". Um...no. Except for a book signing in 2005 I have not seen him up close since the 80's. Don't think his memory is quite THAT good!! My seat in the third row was quite far over but it was still fun. I was able to quickly meet my penpals Mary and Linda from the 60's - we reconnected on Facebook. Say what you will about Facebook but it is a wonderful tool for reconnecting people. We were meeting the next day for lunch so more on that later. I patiently waited except for a nervous pre-concert potty stop in the porta-potties. Then he came on and once again totally blew everyone's mind for nearly three hours. I always bitch about the price of tickets but at the end of the concert it was totally worth it. It makes me feel like a teenager again and is so much fun. For people who say I am a "stalker" (and yes, there are some...) I say BITE ME. (and trust me, compared to some people the amount I see him is nothing) As long as he is touring I will be hitting the road. Anyway we all enjoyed the concert and it was a happy trio heading back home. We were starving so stopped and had a very late supper - 1 a.m.? - at a 24 hour restaurant. I had a grilled cheese sandwich and a chocolate milkshake - not my usual fare at any time let alone 1 a.m. but luckily my stomach forgave me. (my waistline..not so much...)
The next morning I had a quick shower and breakfast then Gloria drove me to the "El" train station whereI took a train downtown to meet up with Linda and Mary for lunch. I walked over to North Michigan Avenue stopping to see the huge statue of Marilyn Monroe. I met Linda (from Pennsylvania) and Mary (from South Carolina) in the lobby of the Grand Lux Cafe and we had such a wonderful visit. I wrote the two of them (amongst other penpals) in the late 60's and lost touch about 1971. We reconnected on Facebook. I was so excited when I heard that they were going to be in Chicago and we would meet at last. (the two of them go to concerts together) It was so much fun and hopefully we can meet up again at another concert. Who would have thought back in the late 60's that 1) Paul would still be making music and performing in 2011 and 2) we would still be going to concerts (heck for me, going to see a Beatle live period and 3) I would get to meet them. On the way back to the "El" station I took photos of the Chicago River and the beautiful buildings surrounding it. Back to Gloria's and a quick sandwich at Terry's before we headed off to the next concert. If possible this one was even better...he changed the set list slightly which was wonderful. That is the only criticism of his concerts - the same songs and the same banter. He did "I Saw Her Standing There" which is my all time favourite song he sings live - nothing can compare with singing (or in my case shrieking...) the "ooos" with him. At the end of the concerts red, white and blue pieces of paper are released - I am still picking them out of my purse. (my hair was covered with them) Such fun. We met up at McDonalds which is where we had met "the night before" and then walked to the drugstore to get the car and head home. We stopped again at the same diner and the waitress recognized us - I had some kind of skillet scramble which was good.
The next morning Gloria drove me to the airport and I flew home via Minneapolis and took a taxi to work - yep how is that for being dedicated. However I was relieving someone and it was only due to the kindness of the manager that I was able to attend that second concert. I felt that was the least I could do.
What a fabulous weekend...I am so glad I did it. Chicago is a beautiful city and I hope to get back to explore her museums and do some of the walks there. It was my fifth trip there but there is still so much to explore. Thanks Terry and Gloria, Mary, Linda and Paul!!!! You made the weekend FAB!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more