Skip to main content

Come a little closer my little heater or oh Internet - I Think I Love You! (to quote the Partridge Family)





River and bridge in Nuremburg - despite being a large city the downtown area is very fairytale


Sitting in the flat in Paris. No central heating - just a heater. The owner is in India - it is very different but I like it. Oh well I won't be here much. And my room-mate Simon is a young man in his twenties for all those who are dying to know....:) How sick is this...I am on the internet and haven't even unpacked yet. I did make a cup of tea and I think another one is coming up soon....8 days without internet...oh my. Don't think I have gone that long without it in quite some time. (the internet that is, get your minds out of the gutter! )

Germany was lots of fun and I don't want to know my current weight...unreal. Every three hours it seemed there was more food going into my body....I am sure when I leave the room my ass leaves ten minutes later....I have to get back into normal mode (not that that is much better) or I will need two seats on the aircraft coming back. Claudia's mom is a terrific cook. Did I say I didn't like German food? Liar - home cooked that is...Although must admit I don't think I want to look another sausage in the face for a while. I LOVE the bratwurst but think I od'd on it. Luckily I did quite a bit of walking but I still don't think I broke even. Came to Paris with half my body weight in chocolate stashed in my suitcase I am sure. Lots of chocolate given to me as gifts - and okay..got myself two family size (well actually they are Laurie eat in one sitting size) Milka bars and two chocolate Santas before I knew I was getting a whole shit load for Xmas. The gallant men of Paris took pity on me and helped me with my luggage on the metro stairs.

We did the Christmas market in Nuremberg on Wednesday the 21st which was fun. Had some hot gluhwein (mulled wine) and Nurnberg sausages (little ones) in a bun. If you want you can keep the mug from the gluhwein otherwise you return it as you pay a 2 euro deposit so I have two more mugs as could not resist. (did resist one...)Lots of stalls selling everything but the kitchen sink. It was magical with the lights and a choir singing. We looked around Nuremberg a bit as well - Claudia used to live there so have been there a few times since the 80's. There was a misty rain pretty well the whole time. In fact I did not see the sun the whole time I was in Germany but it's winter and it beats snow. We walked up to the castle and had a nice view - in the rain. I like Nuremberg - always have. It had the shit bombed out of it in the war so many of the city centre buildings are new and designed to fit in with the rest of the older buildings that were built pre-war and way way before. Earlier in the afternoon we met Ulla, one of Claudia's friends for cake and coffee - I had Sacre torte which was chocolate cake with strawberry jam in it. Oh my.....I really can't say much more. It was a great day. Of course back to Claudia's where tea and cookies were waiting - along with my evening ritual of a glass (or two) of wine! I will do this one day at a time as just too much to do all at once.

Oh Internet I really really missed you.....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A walk from Westminster to St Paul's Cathedral

I have decided to put the Thames Path on hold until I am back in London next month and we have more Spring like weather...I will be going into a more rural area that is prone to flooding as well.  I am staying at about five miles maximum a day as well...my knees and feet have been giving me major grief so I am not pushing myself. However that doesn't mean I don't want to walk.  One of my favourite British Walking Federation walks is one that starts at Westminster tube station and covers 10km to St Katherines Docks just east of the Tower of London.  Yesterday I walked as far as St Paul's and will do the rest of the walk in the next couple of days.  Normally I do this entire 10 km walk my first day in London but not this time... So here are some of the highlights along the way....what a gorgeous day it was.  A different view of Big Ben Can you believe this was my first time on Parliament Square Another hero on Parliament Square Classic ...

The Colourful houses of Mazatlan, Mexico

Well this isn't even Throwback Thursday and I am reminiscing about my (all too short) week in Mazatlan, Mexcico in January of 2010.  It was one of my best holidays EVER.  I stayed in a delightful little hotel called La Siesta which was on the waterfront in the central part of town.(known as centro) overlooking the ocean.   I walked around the town photographing buildings, ocean views, dogs....visited the Mercado, attended a fantastic Flamenco dance performance in the restored Teatro (theatre), toasted the sunset with a beer from my balcony every evening and ate at some wonderful restaurants.  I also took a couple of day trips which were okay but my time in Mazatlan overshadowed anything else I did. My one foray into the Gold (tourist) Zone left me horrified and scampering back to my beloved Centro.  And did I mention I did this as a solo trip?  Mexico has had a lot of bad press lately and while there ARE bad things going on there I still believe the average...

Cowboys and Outlaws in the Big Muddy of Saskatchewan

One of the (very) few advantages of being stuck at home during this pandemic has been an opportunity to see more of my home province of Saskatchewan.  Last summer and fall not only did I do a couple of day trips with friends but I took four day tours with Engelheim transport, a local Regina company.   I have to admit my favourite day out was the "Big Muddy Valley and Outlaws" tour. While I had been to the Big Muddy previously many years back I was eager to revisit and learn more of its history.   So in early October, I hopped on board and off we went.  The bus is only booked to half capacity so it was easy to social distance, hand gel was a must each time we boarded the bus,  masks were required when you got on and off the bus and in any buildings we visited.  I felt totally safe and oh my, it was so good to have an adventure!!  Despite the name the Big Muddy isn't a big huge puddle of mud but a valley of badlands that were formed from a glac...