Skip to main content

Birdies singing

I love it. Love hearing the birdies sing...I love seeing green grass and leaves on the trees. (not all of course but some...) Am up extra early this morning - I will regret this later. I guess the down side of this small room is that there is no where else to sit but the bed. My back is sore! Ah well the price is right and when you travel as much as I do you economize when you can. It's not like I am here a lot. I love this little room and looking out and seeing the doggies play on Hampsted Heath extension in the morning.

Tomorrow I start my trek of the Thames Path. I won't cover much this trip as it's 180 miles - I am aiming for 32 miles of it (over four days max) but with the current problems with my foot and also January weather it may not be doable. But that's okay... I will go to the Thames Barrier to begin which is actually the end of the walk if you are doing it the correct way - but either way is acceptable. I was going to start it today but wanted to do the path on days when I had nothing on in the evening as I know I will be very tired.

I must admit this problem with my right foot has me very concerned - I know what the problem is...a developing bunion AND an arthritic big toe. I am madly doing exercises with my big toe "as we speak". I never know when it will affect me and the medication I take for my knees (Aleve) does not work for my foot. I did a half marathon last year with my toe acting up - it was a long hard slog that I would rather never repeat. Perhaps I shouldn't be walking long distances with this foot and these knees but I love it and as long as I can do it I will. It is crazy as it will bother me and be painful and then be suddenly gone....then it returns an hour or so later...I never know when it will affect me on a walk but since Paris it has been daily. That is unusual. During my long walk with Claudia on Boxing Day I had no problems and felt wonderful. Sometimes it's just discomfort but other times it's out and out pain. That's when I stop - unless I am in a race. I have a 21 km race coming up a month from tomorrow - as it is I am not trained up due to the traveling but I am determined. Fingers crossed (well except for my right middle finger that wont' bend properly due to arthritis - oh my I am a mess aren't I?) that all will go right.

Today will be a good test - I would really like to complete this 10km walk that takes me from Islington in north London through Clerkenwell, the City, Mayfair and terminates at Hyde Park. Not nonstop but with a coffee stop or two and parking myself on a few benches if it's not raining that is! Wish me luck!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A walk from Westminster to St Paul's Cathedral

I have decided to put the Thames Path on hold until I am back in London next month and we have more Spring like weather...I will be going into a more rural area that is prone to flooding as well.  I am staying at about five miles maximum a day as well...my knees and feet have been giving me major grief so I am not pushing myself. However that doesn't mean I don't want to walk.  One of my favourite British Walking Federation walks is one that starts at Westminster tube station and covers 10km to St Katherines Docks just east of the Tower of London.  Yesterday I walked as far as St Paul's and will do the rest of the walk in the next couple of days.  Normally I do this entire 10 km walk my first day in London but not this time... So here are some of the highlights along the way....what a gorgeous day it was.  A different view of Big Ben Can you believe this was my first time on Parliament Square Another hero on Parliament Square Classic ...

The Colourful houses of Mazatlan, Mexico

Well this isn't even Throwback Thursday and I am reminiscing about my (all too short) week in Mazatlan, Mexcico in January of 2010.  It was one of my best holidays EVER.  I stayed in a delightful little hotel called La Siesta which was on the waterfront in the central part of town.(known as centro) overlooking the ocean.   I walked around the town photographing buildings, ocean views, dogs....visited the Mercado, attended a fantastic Flamenco dance performance in the restored Teatro (theatre), toasted the sunset with a beer from my balcony every evening and ate at some wonderful restaurants.  I also took a couple of day trips which were okay but my time in Mazatlan overshadowed anything else I did. My one foray into the Gold (tourist) Zone left me horrified and scampering back to my beloved Centro.  And did I mention I did this as a solo trip?  Mexico has had a lot of bad press lately and while there ARE bad things going on there I still believe the average...

Cowboys and Outlaws in the Big Muddy of Saskatchewan

One of the (very) few advantages of being stuck at home during this pandemic has been an opportunity to see more of my home province of Saskatchewan.  Last summer and fall not only did I do a couple of day trips with friends but I took four day tours with Engelheim transport, a local Regina company.   I have to admit my favourite day out was the "Big Muddy Valley and Outlaws" tour. While I had been to the Big Muddy previously many years back I was eager to revisit and learn more of its history.   So in early October, I hopped on board and off we went.  The bus is only booked to half capacity so it was easy to social distance, hand gel was a must each time we boarded the bus,  masks were required when you got on and off the bus and in any buildings we visited.  I felt totally safe and oh my, it was so good to have an adventure!!  Despite the name the Big Muddy isn't a big huge puddle of mud but a valley of badlands that were formed from a glac...