Skip to main content

By the sea, the wonderful sea

Well yesterday (Thursday) I went down to Brighton for the day to see my friend Judi. I got the cheap day return (after 9 a.m.) so it was less than 16 pounds which I felt was reasonable. Judi was there to meet me so we headed for a cafe and both had eggy bread (bread dipped in egg and fried) with cheese on top. Delish. And a coffee of course. Late breakfast sorted we then headed off to look in the shops. Judi did more damage then I did. From there we worked our way to the seafront and the sun had come out by then. I was so excited as I have said many a time I am a misplaced ocean child. I do love the ocean. And here was the English Channel - Atlantic ocean basically and less than three weeks from now I will be seeing the Pacific ocean. Gotta love it!! We walked along the seafront and onto the pier. By then we needed to sit down (my foot gave me a bit of grief yesterday despite having a 'rest day') so we went to a cafe and shared a plate of chips and I had a cup of tea. A cuppa tea and chips - what could be more English than that?
We took the bus to the shopping centre and attacked HMV. Okay I indulged myself and got the remastered Beatles White album for 12 pounds. One of my projects is to buy all the remastered Beatles and Paul McCartney CD's - well the ones I like...I have them all on vinyl and original CD as well of course...hey don't knock it until you try it!!! I just could not resist for that price....like I said previously I used to attack HMV in the good old days and haul home all sorts of stuff. A lot of my record collection is English..and yes I still have a record player!!

Anyway I am getting off track here...after prowling around a bit more we decided to have an early supper and ate at Food for Friends, a vegetarian restaurant. I had welsh rarebit (bread with melted cheese on basically) with salad and it was good.

We then got a taxi back to the station and Judi headed her way and I headed back to London. The train left on time and I was back into London by just after 7. Getting on a Bedford train made me a little sad as I always used to go up to Bedford to see Tom our old family friend. (and like an uncle to me really) Tom passed away in early 09 and it just seems strange to go to England and not be going to see him - I really miss him.

Back in time for Corrie at 8:30.

I got my little H2 bus home from the tube station. I get the tube (underground railway but everyone here calls it the tube) to Golders Green then a small bus to where I stay on Wildwood Road. The drivers have such patience...sadly they now have big vehicles over here (everyone used to have small cars here due to the high price of fuel and the roads) and so many of the suburban streets here are narrow. Big honkin' SUV's that are really needed in London....uh huh...I can see if you lived in the Yorkshire moors but we must have them because of course we have to keep up with the neighbours. And the area I stay in is wealthy...usually it's mainly soccer mums taking little Snotleigh and Bratlan to school and they haven't a clue how to drive a vehicle that big and the traffic can get really blocked up as they don't know where to go and you have to wait for them to clue in to back up or whatever. There is not room for two large vehicles to pass when there is parking on both sides of the streets.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more