Skip to main content

Changes

Well today didn't work out quite the way I had planned but it was a good one anyway. I decided to start the walk from the 02 as the Thames Barrier is hard to get to by public transit. However getting to London Bridge tube station (where I needed to connect) was complicated due to the fact they had emergency work at that station on the Northern line which is the line I take from here. Finally I got there, got the tube and started off on the path only to find it was closed! I guess if I was really dedicated I would have walked around a bit and found a place to get back on it but by then I was fed up and thought "maybe this isn't meant to be". After some hard thinking I decided that the Thames Path is postponed maybe even cancelled. Do I really want to walk that far? (180 miles - which would take me a couple of weeks over several trips) I think I have to accept the fact that with my knees and foot I am not up to any long distance paths. That doesn't mean I won't walk and I still plan to do some of the club walks here - but I am going to enjoy other things too. I think I made the right decision...





So I took the tube back to London Bridge and went over to Borough Market which is a market across the street from London bridge with nothing but food glorious food. It runs Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Thursday is the quietest day so a good one to go. I watched a cooking demo for a while but it was going too slow for me however I did try some truffle honey...can I put that down for 60 new things in 2012? No I thought not....I bought some curry spices in tiny containers....I always fancy myself a gourmet cook while I am away and take this stuff back and there it sits but I am really going to try and change. When I am in the mood and have the time I love to cook. I had a cup of fresh vegetable soup made from parsnips, brussel sprouts, carrots, onions, etc. with grated chestnuts on top. Delish! I also bought THE WORLD'S BEST BROWNIE and grazed on it for the rest of the day. I wandered around for quite a while. I forgot to mention that this morning first thing it was raining heavily with a lot of wind but cleared up before I set off. Well that changed while I was at the market and it was getting scary with umbrellas over the booths turning, etc. so I decided to head indoors and took the tube to the Natural History Museum to see the Wildlife Photography of the year exhibition. Beautiful photographs - not as good as last year I don't think but still absolutely wonderful. There were some done by kids under 10 and they were on expensive cameras and very good...amazing. I am so glad I went. From there I walked over to High Street Kensington and looked in a few shops but bought nothing...I love that area of London - love the mews with the cobblestones and cottages...I then hopped a bus to Kilburn High street where I jumped off and had a lamb donar with chips and salad. Burp. Very reasonable and good but way too much food - I didn't even try to finish it. Tomorrow will definitely be a sandwich back here day. But I had to have some wonderful British chips. I find the fish iffy as sometimes they cook it with the skin on which I hate. Seeing that gray skin under the batter makes me want to hurl - that and the fact I threw up fish in London when I was here in 07....we won't even go there...but hey not everyone can say they threw up in a London tube station can they.


I then saw a pound shop and flew in. Got some stationery items that Claudia had that I liked and she said she got them at the pound shop in England and sure enough. Huge Galaxy and Cadbury bars for a pound...but I resisted...well sort of....well it could have been worse trust me.


Back on the bus and here just in time for Corrie at 8:30.


Not an exciting day but a good one. I still did plenty of walking.


If the weather is fine tomorrow I think I will finish up the walk I started the other day and then walk around Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens.


Being as I am not doing the Thames Path I am going to look into finding a cheap bus ticket out of town somewhere - preferably where I've never been.


Simon's breakfasts are good but light - bacon and eggs and mushrooms which sounds like a lot but the portions are small. No cereal to go with it although might ask for some I am giving him the morning off tomorrow (I am the only guest) and will have breakfast here in my room as I have yogurt and fruit - something different - then on Saturday I will just have toast and coffee. Having too many cooked breakfasts is bad and being as I am not doing the heavy duty walking I had planned I don't need them.


Stay tuned...


No clue what tomorrow will bring...that's the beauty of it all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more