Skip to main content

Getting ready to say goodbye

Well am at an internet cafe just off Piccadilly Circus - it's nuts out there. ~TONS of people and you can barely move. Putting in time until it's time to go for an early dinner as the show starts at 7:30. I will be finishing up my packing when I get back tonight.

This morning I took the tube to Canary Wharf and saw all four ice sculptures in the ice sculpture festival... - luckily I did not go all that way for that. I carried on to the Museum of the Docklands which was fantastic....the history of the docks/Thames from Roman times until the present day. I really enjoyed it. Highly recommended and it's free. They have developed the old dockland area- leaving some old buildings in place (like the musuem) but mostly new buildings....lots of skyscrapers out there! I then took the tube back to the west end and have been rambling around Covent Garden, along the Thames, Trafalgar Square, etc. There are places I didn't get to this trip but I discovered new ones. I took this trip at a leisurely pace and am glad I did.

I am checked in for my flight tomorrow - boarding passes printed. Mentally I am getting ready to go...I think these crowds are a good thing...makes it easier to leave!

I have booked a taxi to the airport - I decided that taking the tube with my bad foot and bad knees right now was asking for trouble. I am so worried about falling. It costs 30 pounds and takes about 45 minutes. I did that once before and it was wonderful to sit and relax and not be watching the time and guarding my luggage not to mention hauling my luggage around down stairs, escalators, onto busses. I just walk in the door of the airport. I can leave later as well and have a relaxing breakfast. Sometimes it's good to make things simple. I won't be taking this duffle bag again I can tell you - it's on wheels but is still so awkward.

I wore most of my wardrobe - only used a fancy woolen scarf once ..in Paris. A cardigan I brought along was barely used due to the zipper breaking so my fleece jacket was used in it's place which was a lot......three pairs of shoes....never again. I brought dress shoes because of going to church and the ballet in Paris..next time it will be running shoes or leather walking shoes. Too bad so sad if people don't like it. I wear my heavier hiking boots on the plane.

After a month on the road I am ready to go home...Salzburg seems a lifetime ago. Home for two and a half weeks then on the road again...gotta love it!

Wizard of Oz tonight - can't wait!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A walk from Westminster to St Paul's Cathedral

I have decided to put the Thames Path on hold until I am back in London next month and we have more Spring like weather...I will be going into a more rural area that is prone to flooding as well.  I am staying at about five miles maximum a day as well...my knees and feet have been giving me major grief so I am not pushing myself. However that doesn't mean I don't want to walk.  One of my favourite British Walking Federation walks is one that starts at Westminster tube station and covers 10km to St Katherines Docks just east of the Tower of London.  Yesterday I walked as far as St Paul's and will do the rest of the walk in the next couple of days.  Normally I do this entire 10 km walk my first day in London but not this time... So here are some of the highlights along the way....what a gorgeous day it was.  A different view of Big Ben Can you believe this was my first time on Parliament Square Another hero on Parliament Square Classic ...

The Colourful houses of Mazatlan, Mexico

Well this isn't even Throwback Thursday and I am reminiscing about my (all too short) week in Mazatlan, Mexcico in January of 2010.  It was one of my best holidays EVER.  I stayed in a delightful little hotel called La Siesta which was on the waterfront in the central part of town.(known as centro) overlooking the ocean.   I walked around the town photographing buildings, ocean views, dogs....visited the Mercado, attended a fantastic Flamenco dance performance in the restored Teatro (theatre), toasted the sunset with a beer from my balcony every evening and ate at some wonderful restaurants.  I also took a couple of day trips which were okay but my time in Mazatlan overshadowed anything else I did. My one foray into the Gold (tourist) Zone left me horrified and scampering back to my beloved Centro.  And did I mention I did this as a solo trip?  Mexico has had a lot of bad press lately and while there ARE bad things going on there I still believe the average...

Cowboys and Outlaws in the Big Muddy of Saskatchewan

One of the (very) few advantages of being stuck at home during this pandemic has been an opportunity to see more of my home province of Saskatchewan.  Last summer and fall not only did I do a couple of day trips with friends but I took four day tours with Engelheim transport, a local Regina company.   I have to admit my favourite day out was the "Big Muddy Valley and Outlaws" tour. While I had been to the Big Muddy previously many years back I was eager to revisit and learn more of its history.   So in early October, I hopped on board and off we went.  The bus is only booked to half capacity so it was easy to social distance, hand gel was a must each time we boarded the bus,  masks were required when you got on and off the bus and in any buildings we visited.  I felt totally safe and oh my, it was so good to have an adventure!!  Despite the name the Big Muddy isn't a big huge puddle of mud but a valley of badlands that were formed from a glac...