Skip to main content

Beach day!










The sun came out again today (yay!) so off I went to the beach...well a few beaches! First off I hopped the bus down to Huntington Beach and had breakfast at a Hawaiian themed place. It's so nice to sit outside for meals...

I realized I had forgotten to take pain meds and did not have any on me so went to CVS pharmacy and got a big bottle of Aleve. I wanted to buy some more anyway. I just missed the bus so walked up to the dog beach but not as much activity there today. I then got the bus to the Bolsa Chica Wetlands which are in the north end of Huntington Beach. I found it quite boring to be honest....and my eyes were peeled for snakes - not my favourite critter....so I went back to the bus stop which happened to be on the beach. So I stood and watched the surfers. There is a walking path that goes from that bus stop and just carries on down the highway....I think you could pretty well walk to Laguna Beach on walking paths/sidewalks. Awesome!

I got the bus south and went back to Balboa Island and saw it in the sunshine. Beautiful!!! I love the cottages - some owned and some holiday lets. It is so quaint. I took the ferry over to Balboa beach. By this time it was noon so had a chocolate covered frozen banana - well I have to get fruit in my diet! I found a quiet little area off the main road and it had three delightful sculptures of children - really sweet. I love when you discover things like this that are off the normal beaten track.

I walked along the beach at Balboa (had my sandals in my backpack) and then paddled in the water. I could see the Newport pier in the distance today (didn't even realize there was a Newport pier until I saw it on the map last night) so took a bus down - was too tired to walk today. I am so glad I did as I loved the area. Another beach walk and a walk on the pier....I saw a restaurant nearby called The Crab Cooker that looked intriguing. By this time it was past 3 p.m. and I'd had nothing but the frozen banana since 8 a.m. The menu looked good and as I opened the door a couple came out so I held it open for them and asked if it was good. They said wonderful - you will love it. And love it I did. I ordered a skewer of grilled shrimp and scallops with potato and coleslaw. It came with homemade tartar sauce and a lemon sauce. Oh my my. It was one of those meals you keep saying Oh my god all the way through. Definitely one of the best meals of the trip. It was a very casual restaurant - meals were served on plastic plates, drinks in plastic glasses. All their seafood is fresh and the processing plant is right across the lane from the restaurant. I seem to be making a habit of "lupper" - a combo of lunch and supper. By breakfast I am pretty hungry though!

I then took the bus back to the hotel and headed over to the beach across the way to see the sunset. As I walked onto the beach I happened to look to the side at the beach houses and there was a dog and a cat sitting on a ledge...it was too cute. I asked the owners if I could take a photo - I said "I guess they like looking at the sunset too" The sun slowly set beind Catalina Island - fantastic!!!

Now it's R & R time - the bus service being what it is going out at night is difficult and to be honest after being out in the sun all day I am tired! I think I am off to the Long Beach aquarium tomorrow..hoping for another sunset view tomorrow night but not sure where.

One more day and then it's off to Texas. I am excited to start exploring another new place but sad to leave this beautiful area and my beloved Pacific Ocean.

Comments

Anonymous said…
it all looks so lovely, hope foot is ok

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more