Skip to main content

Howdy from Texas Y'all!

Well after a pretty sleepness night worrying over whether the taxi driver would show up and other things (amazing how bad things seem at 2 a.m.) the driver showed up bang on time and I got to the airport and luggage checked etc. and time for a coffee and scone. The flights were good - I flew through Dallas/Fort Worth.

I had booked a shuttle so got door to door service. I usually like to take public transit but it sounded too complicated so I decided to make life easy for myself.

The house is darling. Basically I have half the house - the front half - kitchen, living room/dining room, bathroom and bedroom. Sovay, the owner is in the back I have yet to meet her as she is not home yet. I must remember to go out and get cream as she has left coffee here and loads of stuff. She has at least one dog but no barks - just heard tags jangling and panting. Very well trained! I am sitting on a leather couch as I write this with a huge wooden coffee table in front of me filled with magazines/info on Austin. Awesome! I have a flat screen TV in my bedroom...who could ask for more? I just have to remember there are two terracotta steps down into the kitchen.....:)

I think I am going to like it here. You gotta love a place that has huge ceramic guitars at their baggage claim - first time ever I've taken pictures at baggage claim!!!! Austin is known for it's music scene and I hope to catch a live performance as long as it's not country!!!

After I got here and freshened up a bit I walked around the neighbourhood a bit. I already bought myself a movie ticket for Tinker, Tailer, Soldier Spy at the movie theatre three blocks away. I will go late tomorrow afternoon....it is a theatre that sells drinks and food so should be interesting. I can drink a glass of wine and eyeball Colin Firth - not a bad combo I'd say. :) The other showings were in the morning when I will be walking and at 10:30 p.m. - I think not I will be tucked up in bed!

I had supper at a Mexican place at the end of the street - sizzling beef fajitas with a peach margerita. The margerita has gone right to my head. Wow. Not sure how much longer I will be up!!! Not a good combo with no sleep....

The lady next to me on the plane said I must go to the Texas history musuem so that works out well as my capital city walk goes right by there - I plan to do that tomorrow. Can't wait to start exploring!

I arrived to sunny blue skies when rain was predicted...fingers crossed!!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A walk from Westminster to St Paul's Cathedral

I have decided to put the Thames Path on hold until I am back in London next month and we have more Spring like weather...I will be going into a more rural area that is prone to flooding as well.  I am staying at about five miles maximum a day as well...my knees and feet have been giving me major grief so I am not pushing myself. However that doesn't mean I don't want to walk.  One of my favourite British Walking Federation walks is one that starts at Westminster tube station and covers 10km to St Katherines Docks just east of the Tower of London.  Yesterday I walked as far as St Paul's and will do the rest of the walk in the next couple of days.  Normally I do this entire 10 km walk my first day in London but not this time... So here are some of the highlights along the way....what a gorgeous day it was.  A different view of Big Ben Can you believe this was my first time on Parliament Square Another hero on Parliament Square Classic ...

The Colourful houses of Mazatlan, Mexico

Well this isn't even Throwback Thursday and I am reminiscing about my (all too short) week in Mazatlan, Mexcico in January of 2010.  It was one of my best holidays EVER.  I stayed in a delightful little hotel called La Siesta which was on the waterfront in the central part of town.(known as centro) overlooking the ocean.   I walked around the town photographing buildings, ocean views, dogs....visited the Mercado, attended a fantastic Flamenco dance performance in the restored Teatro (theatre), toasted the sunset with a beer from my balcony every evening and ate at some wonderful restaurants.  I also took a couple of day trips which were okay but my time in Mazatlan overshadowed anything else I did. My one foray into the Gold (tourist) Zone left me horrified and scampering back to my beloved Centro.  And did I mention I did this as a solo trip?  Mexico has had a lot of bad press lately and while there ARE bad things going on there I still believe the average...

Cowboys and Outlaws in the Big Muddy of Saskatchewan

One of the (very) few advantages of being stuck at home during this pandemic has been an opportunity to see more of my home province of Saskatchewan.  Last summer and fall not only did I do a couple of day trips with friends but I took four day tours with Engelheim transport, a local Regina company.   I have to admit my favourite day out was the "Big Muddy Valley and Outlaws" tour. While I had been to the Big Muddy previously many years back I was eager to revisit and learn more of its history.   So in early October, I hopped on board and off we went.  The bus is only booked to half capacity so it was easy to social distance, hand gel was a must each time we boarded the bus,  masks were required when you got on and off the bus and in any buildings we visited.  I felt totally safe and oh my, it was so good to have an adventure!!  Despite the name the Big Muddy isn't a big huge puddle of mud but a valley of badlands that were formed from a glac...