Skip to main content

I'm lovin' it!

Huntington Beach pier at sunset



Lovely Laguna Beach - this viewpoint was across the highway from my hotel

To quote McDonalds...yes I am lovin' it. Arrived on time into Santa Ana, the suitcase was there and was able to get the 2:05 bus (there is only one an hour that stops at the airport) Got a day pass for four dollars and I was off. I had to change at the Newport transit centre but I just stood in the sun and enjoyed. Then the bus down the Pacific Coast highway...went past a beautiful stretch of coast line so I must try to get down there at sunset one day. I saw the hotel and rang the buzzer...the bus driver said he wasn't familiar with the area...duh...you are driving a bus down the highway every day I presume...oh well.

I am staying at the Art hotel in Laguna Beach...the owners bought it a few years ago and put art work everywhere (well some of it is debatable as art but still nice). I am opposite the pool area on the second floor. The room is beautiful. Well when you stay in a lot of hostels being in a room like this is pure luxury plus a microwave and little fridge as well. It got rave reviews on Trip Advisor. Here is the web page: I'd recommend it as a reasonable place to stay and in a great area...

http://arthotellagunabeach.com/

I asked where ocean access was and the owner told me and said there is seal rock there and I've talked to them and the seals are waiting for you Laurie. :) So of course I dropped my stuff off, brushed my teeth and was off. Mustn't keep them waiting! First stop Crescent Park outlook - a five minute walk from here. What a view! Seal rock was out there but it's far enough away I could just see a few lumps - but I could sure hear them! I wish I'd brought my zoom lens with me but I didn't....:( I was there for quite a while - I got a bit teary eyed. I do love the ocean! It was a magnificient view. And to think it's so close to me...as I said before I'm lovin it! Definitely must get there for a sunset view.

Anyway from there I carried on to the start point of the walk - had a bit of trouble finding the walk box at the grocery store but they helped me locate it. I signed in and took a copy of the walk and will do it today (Thursday). As I was walking out I saw a bus coming and on a whim jumped on it - my goal was to see the sunset from Huntington Beach pier. Well needless to say I missed it. The trip there was...well let's say interesting...it was packed - I managed to get a seat when someone got off at the next stop. At the Newport transit centre a huge fellow got on - he was obviously mentally ill/homeless - I am not sure. He had to be at least 350 lbs and absolutely filthy. I have never seen or smelt anything like it...people in the bus were gagging - two girls had their hoodies over their faces. His nails were long and filthy - let's not talk about his feet as he was wearing sandals...his slacks had holes in them and I sure did not want to look there too closely. I was mouth breaking and I did not want to offend him so I put my hand over my face like I was in deep thought! Of course he was standing right by me. Poor fellow, obviously he had problems. I saw him later in Huntington Beach sitting on a bench smoking and drinking his coke. (or whatever was in the coke bottle..) The bus driver yelled at him to move to the back as she was suffering too and she mumbled I should kick him off but he stayed on until Huntington Beach but at the back of the bus. Well let's face it if you can afford a car you have one in California - it's not a hub of public transit. I know I would sure have one. I knew this but did not want to be driving the freeways and then again do I really need one...I just plan to mainly travel up and down the Pacific Coast highway and finding parking is a pain. I got a 7 day pass for $20 - you can't beat that....

Anyway by the time I got to Huntington Beach the sun was down but still pink in the sky so enjoyed that then walked down Huntington Beach Pier trying to ignore the marathon signs...I had my evening meal at Ruby's a fifties style diner. Had a strawberry lemonade and a cheeseburger and fries. Got my naughty meal out of the way....but oh it was good. I love it when they toast the bun! :)

I then took the bus back in the dark....very very tired but happy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more