Skip to main content

Reflections on my trip

I haven't had a chance to do this before but as I am here looking after the critters and it's a pretty quiet Saturday night...

Two trips back to back was hectic but absolutely wonderful. I loved my trip to Europe and being there for Christmas was really special. Great to see my friend Claudia again and we are discussing future places to meet up...I LOVED Salzburg. Paris was great...I loved the freedom of wandering around at my leisure...London anytime is wonderful and I already miss it - I have a London calender at work and have found myself murmuring sweet nothings to it..."I miss you, I love you..". What can I say, I have it bad...Oh well it's been a 37 year love affair and still going strong!!

I adored my trip to California and Texas as well. I miss my southern California beaches so much...when I was crossing a busy street today the thought crossed my mind "I wish I was crossing the Pacific Coast Highway" going to the beach"! I will be back someday as well as perhaps heading further south to San Diego - another favourite of mine. I will definitely return to Austin some day as well. I check out a Austin Photo of the Day blog and wouldn't you know it after I return I see a house just down from where I stayed. It was multi-coloured and pretty and I saw people hanging out there but they had kids so assumed it was a day care. WRONG. It was an art gallery with all sorts of wonderful things inside and out. DRAT!!! Oh well, an excuse to go back right? Two and a half days there was just not enough. Next time I will also visit San Antonio and Galveston. Not sure when but it's on the list!!!

I still have about 25 more state capitals to do so the goal is to get five more done this year...will see if I am up to the challenge.

No plans for any trips...can you believe it. I know I am going to Ottawa in May and Quebec as well but nothing is booked. I hope to go and visit family in Alberta in April.

I have airmiles burning a hole in my pocket...I use these for trips in western Canada and the Yukon, NWT...hmmm....

As far as my foot goes...today was a bad day...on days like this I think perhaps my half marathon days are behind me. Then I have a good day and think well maybe not...it is something I love so much. It is hard for people who have never done one to understand the feeling you have when you cross the finish line and get that medal around your neck - the feeling of accomplishment and pride in what you did...very addicting! I know about every great marathon in North America and have a list of them (in my head!) I want to complete.... I am registered for the Ottawa half on May 27th - this was obviously arranged before my trip to Europe and my foot problems there...I know I need to lose weight. This would help a bit I know...but for now I am in turmoil as to my future walking plans.

March will see me fairly busy locally though...stay tuned!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A walk from Westminster to St Paul's Cathedral

I have decided to put the Thames Path on hold until I am back in London next month and we have more Spring like weather...I will be going into a more rural area that is prone to flooding as well.  I am staying at about five miles maximum a day as well...my knees and feet have been giving me major grief so I am not pushing myself. However that doesn't mean I don't want to walk.  One of my favourite British Walking Federation walks is one that starts at Westminster tube station and covers 10km to St Katherines Docks just east of the Tower of London.  Yesterday I walked as far as St Paul's and will do the rest of the walk in the next couple of days.  Normally I do this entire 10 km walk my first day in London but not this time... So here are some of the highlights along the way....what a gorgeous day it was.  A different view of Big Ben Can you believe this was my first time on Parliament Square Another hero on Parliament Square Classic ...

The Colourful houses of Mazatlan, Mexico

Well this isn't even Throwback Thursday and I am reminiscing about my (all too short) week in Mazatlan, Mexcico in January of 2010.  It was one of my best holidays EVER.  I stayed in a delightful little hotel called La Siesta which was on the waterfront in the central part of town.(known as centro) overlooking the ocean.   I walked around the town photographing buildings, ocean views, dogs....visited the Mercado, attended a fantastic Flamenco dance performance in the restored Teatro (theatre), toasted the sunset with a beer from my balcony every evening and ate at some wonderful restaurants.  I also took a couple of day trips which were okay but my time in Mazatlan overshadowed anything else I did. My one foray into the Gold (tourist) Zone left me horrified and scampering back to my beloved Centro.  And did I mention I did this as a solo trip?  Mexico has had a lot of bad press lately and while there ARE bad things going on there I still believe the average...

Cowboys and Outlaws in the Big Muddy of Saskatchewan

One of the (very) few advantages of being stuck at home during this pandemic has been an opportunity to see more of my home province of Saskatchewan.  Last summer and fall not only did I do a couple of day trips with friends but I took four day tours with Engelheim transport, a local Regina company.   I have to admit my favourite day out was the "Big Muddy Valley and Outlaws" tour. While I had been to the Big Muddy previously many years back I was eager to revisit and learn more of its history.   So in early October, I hopped on board and off we went.  The bus is only booked to half capacity so it was easy to social distance, hand gel was a must each time we boarded the bus,  masks were required when you got on and off the bus and in any buildings we visited.  I felt totally safe and oh my, it was so good to have an adventure!!  Despite the name the Big Muddy isn't a big huge puddle of mud but a valley of badlands that were formed from a glac...