Skip to main content

What a fabulous day









Some of the highlights


It really was a fab day. I had a pastry (tiny) and a banana then headed out on the 10 km walk. Originally I had planned to do it backward with the ocean first but decided to follow it the correct way. After about 3 km I stopped and had a proper breakfast - I was looking at the map and realized it was a lot of beach walking so no restaurants. I tend to get carried away walking and while I always carry a snack sometimes it isn't enough. I am glad I did as there were hills and lots of stairs and not sure I could have done it on what I had eaten. So I had hueovs rancheros...eggs in a sauce on a tortilla. Very good. Then off I went - the walk went through downtown and then a residential/commerical area that wasn't too attractive - luckily that didn't last long. Crossed over the Pacific Highway and walked along a narrow street with beautiful homes and stairs leading down to the ocean. I stopped many a time to take photographs or walk on the beach. I loved it. The smell of the salt and the sound of the waves....sigh...wish I could bottle it. Ran into a fella who (gleefully it seemed) told me I had missed about a mile of dolphins jumping - by about half an hour. Oh well what can you do....

The walk then went along the Main beach boardwalk and then climbed up to the Cliff walk which was spectacular. I overhead a woman saying something about a whale so asked and sure enough there was one out there. I saw it blow and a little bit of black..it was something anyway. The Gray whales are now migrating north after spending the last few months in Baja, California feeding and mating, giving birth. All that fun stuff. (well not the giving birth part - can't imagine giving birth to a baby whale would be much fun...owie!!) The walk was fabulous and what was even more fabulous was that not only was the sun shining but my feet were happy.

I came back here to rest a bit - sat in the jacuzzi on the top floor for about ten minutes then back down here to sit by the pool and read for a bit. The pool was just a bit too cool for me. It was nice to relax.

I then headed off again - over the road and along the Cliff walk again to watch the sunset. Spectacular! I then went for an Italian meal which was simple but good. I then took part in the Art walk. The first Thursday of every month some galleries open with the artists there and wine/food. I was much more interested in the latter. (surprise, surprise!) Some of the art was beautiful but sorry I am a philistine when it comes to art and have absolutely no interest either. I like a painting or piece of art that looks like something. None of this crap that you don't know what it is. The craziest one? A whirring fan with a pen attached hanging from the ceiling. It was drawing circles or whatever over and over again. Give me strength.

So no bus today - I walked everywhere. My dogs are now whimpering a bit I must admit - I think I even heard one bark a bit. Oh well a bit of a rest tomorrow.

I have booked a whale/dolphin watching trip for tomorrow at noon. I plan to do the 5 km walk in Dana Point (where the boat leaves from) -not sure if before or after. I have a pastry and a yogurt (but no spoon so have to be creative...) for breakfast - don't want a big breakfast with going on a boat. I am quite excited. I have been on many a whale watching trip but it never loses it's excitement.

The owner of the hotel was telling me about a fabulous walk up into the hills so I might do that one morning too. It is going to be hard to fit everything in that I want to do! I guess I have to come back here someday.

Comments

Anonymous said…
all sounds fabulous ..wish I was there with you as it is -4 here now and snow expected ...boo

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more