Skip to main content

Where did the sun go?

It disappeared today but they tell me it will be back tomorrow - hope so!!! It was a bit on the chilly side today - yeah cry me a river I know...but compared to the day before. I actually had to wear my jacket and it rained on and off but nothing serious. Most of the rain has come after I was in for the evening.

This place is noisier than the Art Hotel - let's just say the walls are like paper and leave it like that....

Anyway I had a light breakfast at Cappy's next door - just sourdough toast and coffee. Then I hopped on the bus and got off along the highway and walked downhill to the coffee shop where the Balboa/Newport Beach walks started from. I grabbed another coffee and sat outside at a table and went through all the walks. I decided to do a 5km as the weather was very iffy and when they predicted rain I thought they actually meant a bit of a downpour....silly me. Anyway the walk was very nice - walked over a bridge to Balboa Island and then took a ferry over to Balboa and walked along the ocean and to Balboa Pier. Strolled through a deserted amusement park - nothing sadder than a closed for the season amusement park....despite the dreary weather I did enjoy the walk. Newport Beach is very upscale to put it mildly....

I went back to the start point and got a muffin for lunch. Pineapple and orange - yum yum. A pigeon thought so too....I was busy reading a map of a 5 km walk and looked up and there was a pigeon eating my muffin. Cheeky sod! He was determined and he got about a good third of it. I flapped my hands at him but he kept on gobbling and would not move for anything and I didn't want to be bitten - I hope he enjoyed it. Oh well, less calories right?

I decided to do a 5km walk backwards to avoid the hill I had just come down to start the walk...ha ha...never a good idea with me. I got way off track - oh well what I did do was a nice walk but not the Back Bay area I had intended!!!

I got a bus to Fashion Island to check out Bath and Body Works - I retrained myself and got very little...I didn't want to haul it to Texas and then back home. Fashion Island is an upscale outdoor shopping centre - the only reason I went there was that it was the closest one to me. In my goretex jacket and waterproof pants I am sure they were ready to call the fashion police! I then had a late lunch/early supper (3:30 pm) at the Cheesecake Cafe - never been before. Had a California cheesesteak which was good. It was chilly and just did not feel like roaming around finding a place to eat...I know lazy lazy.

I was going to go to a laundromat but the logistics of taking the bus and walking were daunting so now my room looks like a Chinese laundry! Thank goodness for quick dry t-shirts - I should have brought more with me. They are ideal for traveling.

Tomorrow I plan to do a 10km walk in Balboa and then perhaps head down the road to Huntington Beach again....we shall see.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more