Skip to main content

Five more sleeps and the addiction of marathons...

Yes five more sleeps and I am off for the next adventure to Ottawa, Quebec and Vermont.  It took a while to get me organized for this trip between two back to back winter holidays and moving but I think it's sorted now and I am getting excited!!  I will attend our annual walking conference which is also the 25th anniversary celebration of our national walking club.  It will be a blast.  I am also planning to do a half marathon - my first since September 2010.  Gulp!  As you know I had to drop out of the one in California which broke my heart in two...but I will do it someday...two weeks from tomorrow...screech!  I am a little behind in my training - I am not really TOO worried but I know walking 21 km without stopping will be a challenge.  And I will not beat myself up if I cannot finish it.  The friend I am doing it with and myself are going out that evening in Ottawa for a nice meal.  I am hoping that I will be wearing my nice shiny medal but if I'm not well I know that at least I tried.  There is not the worry of hurting myself like there was in California.  And you will be happy to know that Eddie the naughty suitcase has found a new home. It is much better suited to travel with people who go to all inclusive resorts and don't need to drag it around on and off trains and subways, etc.  

It is hard to explain to people who have never done a marathon or in my case a half marathon (my poor knees would not like walking 26 miles nonstop) why I love it so much.  It is very addicting.  I have done 13 since 2003 - if I hadn't had problems with my foot from 2007 to 2009 I can only imagine how many I would have done by now....   The training takes a lot of time especially if you only do one or two a year.  However the feeling you get when you cross the finish line and get a medal (and I will NOT do a half marathon without getting a medal - if they don't have a medal forget it..) is fantastic.   I used to obsess about my time but now I just walk and enjoy and take photos.  I am slow - if you are checking my time all I can say is check near the bottom.  Yes I have been last but I am still a winner compared to those people that are sitting on the couch watching TV.  

I prefer out of town races I must admit. Ottawa has been on my list for a while along with  Huntington Beach, Vancouver, the Flying Pig in Cincinnati, possibly Miami, Jackson, Mississippi Blues marathon,....well it's a long list!!  I have ticked off a few along the way (Las Vegas, Whidbey Island, First Light in Mobile, Alabama, Toronto, Calgary, etc.)  but there are still more to do.  Plus some of the races I enjoyed so much and it's been a while so I want to do them again!!!! I sincerely hope I have at least three more years of half marathons in me.  My foot (touch wood!) has been much better in part to my right orthotic being adjusted by my podiatrist.  A new pair are on order but he won't give them to me until AFTER my trip!!!  They have to be broken in slowly and I guess he knows I might be tempted to give them a bit more use on my trip!!!  Well as the saying goes I'd rather arrive at the finish line all used up and say "what a ride" then arrive in pristine good shape but never having lived my dreams.  

It is a fine balance financially between my desire to do half marathons around North America (as well as my obsession to walk in every state and state capital ) and do overseas travel as well.  Add a major move to the mix and well let's just say it is a challenge.  I am still trying to decide where to go this winter as I am hoping for an extended trip to the UK next year in late Spring yet I NEED to get away in the winter.  

Let's not get going on the long distance paths I want to do...that's another post!!!! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A walk from Westminster to St Paul's Cathedral

I have decided to put the Thames Path on hold until I am back in London next month and we have more Spring like weather...I will be going into a more rural area that is prone to flooding as well.  I am staying at about five miles maximum a day as well...my knees and feet have been giving me major grief so I am not pushing myself. However that doesn't mean I don't want to walk.  One of my favourite British Walking Federation walks is one that starts at Westminster tube station and covers 10km to St Katherines Docks just east of the Tower of London.  Yesterday I walked as far as St Paul's and will do the rest of the walk in the next couple of days.  Normally I do this entire 10 km walk my first day in London but not this time... So here are some of the highlights along the way....what a gorgeous day it was.  A different view of Big Ben Can you believe this was my first time on Parliament Square Another hero on Parliament Square Classic ...

The Colourful houses of Mazatlan, Mexico

Well this isn't even Throwback Thursday and I am reminiscing about my (all too short) week in Mazatlan, Mexcico in January of 2010.  It was one of my best holidays EVER.  I stayed in a delightful little hotel called La Siesta which was on the waterfront in the central part of town.(known as centro) overlooking the ocean.   I walked around the town photographing buildings, ocean views, dogs....visited the Mercado, attended a fantastic Flamenco dance performance in the restored Teatro (theatre), toasted the sunset with a beer from my balcony every evening and ate at some wonderful restaurants.  I also took a couple of day trips which were okay but my time in Mazatlan overshadowed anything else I did. My one foray into the Gold (tourist) Zone left me horrified and scampering back to my beloved Centro.  And did I mention I did this as a solo trip?  Mexico has had a lot of bad press lately and while there ARE bad things going on there I still believe the average...

Cowboys and Outlaws in the Big Muddy of Saskatchewan

One of the (very) few advantages of being stuck at home during this pandemic has been an opportunity to see more of my home province of Saskatchewan.  Last summer and fall not only did I do a couple of day trips with friends but I took four day tours with Engelheim transport, a local Regina company.   I have to admit my favourite day out was the "Big Muddy Valley and Outlaws" tour. While I had been to the Big Muddy previously many years back I was eager to revisit and learn more of its history.   So in early October, I hopped on board and off we went.  The bus is only booked to half capacity so it was easy to social distance, hand gel was a must each time we boarded the bus,  masks were required when you got on and off the bus and in any buildings we visited.  I felt totally safe and oh my, it was so good to have an adventure!!  Despite the name the Big Muddy isn't a big huge puddle of mud but a valley of badlands that were formed from a glac...