Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Beach time

We drove the three hours down to Sihanouk Ville this morning.  On the way we stopped at a local market which was very interesting.  Thyda said people were exclaiming to her how lovely and white our skin was - they don't see many tourists there!!!  I had some freshly squeezed sugar cane juice and it was lovely - yum. 

On arrival we went to the Star Fish cafe which is a cafe and shop that provides physically disabled people opportunities from their profits.  We had delicious sandwiches there made from rice bread.  We also bought some things in the shop.  I would rather spend a bit more money and know it is helping someone.  They have been open since 2001.  Intrepid (the tour company I am with) supports them in their endeavours. 

Arrived at our hotel the Golden Sands.  Immediately we all changed into swimsuits and Thyda walked us over to the closest beach - Ochheuteal Beach.  Very busy and touristy but the water was wonderful and it was fun to jump in the waves.  I had a 40 minute massage for $6 and was harassed constantly to get a manicure, pedicure, leg hair ripped out by thread (sign me up for that), etc.  After about an hour I headed back to the hotel via the shops - got myself a sundress and a new bag (purse type thing) and then into the pool which was great.  Now I am just getting ready to head out to the group for dinner at 7.

Tomorrow is a boat ride to an island and another beach day.   Friday the rest of the group heads to Phnom Penh and then home while I head to Kep for six nights of R & R.  I can`t wait!!  I am SO glad I did not decide to stay here - it was a toss up between the two.  Kep is much quieter. 

Our hotel is really nice - no roosters for two nights.  I expect I will be seranaded again in Kep but thatès okay.  I plan to relax and chill - I may book a trip out to Rabbit Island one day but other than that I plan to just do my own thing.  Lots of writing on this blog and lots of pictures to share!!! 

I guess last night I did not miss much with the boat trip or the dinner out so that is good!!! 

No comments: