Skip to main content

Checking in from the river lodge

Right now we are staying at the Natural Bungalows in Kampot.  Very nice.  Tonight we had drinks and dinner on a deck overlooking the river.  The food was delicious but the service was so slow it was pathetic.  I was the first one served and I had to wait until the last one finished eating...very painful.  I had fish and chips - made from local fish.  My first western dish since I got here but just wanted something different. 

Last night we were at the home stay - oh lordy lordy.  I will have some good stories to tell about that one.  The fellow who hosted us was lovely and so was his family but sleeping on a thin mattress on the floor in the same room with 12 other people (separated by curtains with two behind each curtain) with the loo down some steep stairs outside was not my idea of a fun time.  Add dogs barking with another dog howling backup for a long time and then a cat yowling.  I got the giggles and then someone farted and oh my I laughed out loud and had to hold my hand over my mouth to stifle my sorts of laughter.  All that laughing made me want to pee again and oh the night went on and on.  Of course I slept as I snored so Tedagh had to put up with me.  I can't believe I slept as it sure did't fee like it  but obviously I did. A very long night.  But it was interesting to stay with a local family and see how they live. (glad I am a spoiled North American)

So I am hitting the hay right after this.

Tomorrow is a full day.  Touring a salt plantation, pepper plant, touring some caves (will pass on that...500 plus steps to one and the other one is listed as treachorous in the Lonely Planet) and then a seafood lunch and time at the beach in Kep. And then a sunset boat trip.  The tour is winding down, I will leave Friday morning and make my way to Kep for six nights.  That is when you will get some long stories and hopefully lots of pictures.  Fingers crossed it is a strong wifi connection as I will have plenty of time. I usually don't get back to the room until 8:30 or 9 and first priority is to backup my photos. 

"Talk" to you tomorrow hopefully!!!! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A walk from Westminster to St Paul's Cathedral

I have decided to put the Thames Path on hold until I am back in London next month and we have more Spring like weather...I will be going into a more rural area that is prone to flooding as well.  I am staying at about five miles maximum a day as well...my knees and feet have been giving me major grief so I am not pushing myself. However that doesn't mean I don't want to walk.  One of my favourite British Walking Federation walks is one that starts at Westminster tube station and covers 10km to St Katherines Docks just east of the Tower of London.  Yesterday I walked as far as St Paul's and will do the rest of the walk in the next couple of days.  Normally I do this entire 10 km walk my first day in London but not this time... So here are some of the highlights along the way....what a gorgeous day it was.  A different view of Big Ben Can you believe this was my first time on Parliament Square Another hero on Parliament Square Classic ...

The Colourful houses of Mazatlan, Mexico

Well this isn't even Throwback Thursday and I am reminiscing about my (all too short) week in Mazatlan, Mexcico in January of 2010.  It was one of my best holidays EVER.  I stayed in a delightful little hotel called La Siesta which was on the waterfront in the central part of town.(known as centro) overlooking the ocean.   I walked around the town photographing buildings, ocean views, dogs....visited the Mercado, attended a fantastic Flamenco dance performance in the restored Teatro (theatre), toasted the sunset with a beer from my balcony every evening and ate at some wonderful restaurants.  I also took a couple of day trips which were okay but my time in Mazatlan overshadowed anything else I did. My one foray into the Gold (tourist) Zone left me horrified and scampering back to my beloved Centro.  And did I mention I did this as a solo trip?  Mexico has had a lot of bad press lately and while there ARE bad things going on there I still believe the average...

Cowboys and Outlaws in the Big Muddy of Saskatchewan

One of the (very) few advantages of being stuck at home during this pandemic has been an opportunity to see more of my home province of Saskatchewan.  Last summer and fall not only did I do a couple of day trips with friends but I took four day tours with Engelheim transport, a local Regina company.   I have to admit my favourite day out was the "Big Muddy Valley and Outlaws" tour. While I had been to the Big Muddy previously many years back I was eager to revisit and learn more of its history.   So in early October, I hopped on board and off we went.  The bus is only booked to half capacity so it was easy to social distance, hand gel was a must each time we boarded the bus,  masks were required when you got on and off the bus and in any buildings we visited.  I felt totally safe and oh my, it was so good to have an adventure!!  Despite the name the Big Muddy isn't a big huge puddle of mud but a valley of badlands that were formed from a glac...