Skip to main content

What will 2013 bring?

A new year is always a fresh start but I am not the type to make resolutions.  I can never keep them so why bother?

Looking out at the aftermath of a blizzard here on the prairies my thoughts turn to where this year's travels will take me.  (and why the hell can't I leave today???!!!!) 

I do have my  trip to Singapore and Cambodia next week which will no doubt be the biggie. To say I am excited about it is an understatement.  I never ever take travel for granted.  I absolutely love it and I know I am very very lucky to be able to do it.  However it is more than luck...but that is for another post.  (which I think will be titled "Must be Nice!" - I don't know how many times that has been said to me...)

I have decided this year  to focus on overseas travel and my exploration of North America will take a back seat.  Not totally gone but not the big focus it was in 2012. 

I am planning a trip to the UK in September.  It has been a while since I've been to the UK in 'decent' weather so this is the year.  Instead of just zoning in on London I will be exploring more of Scotland (I haven't been there since 1994!) and hopefully hiking the Great Glen Way (Fort William to Inverness) with a group,  visiting family in Yorkshire (it's been too long!) and doing more day trips out of London in southern England.  I am HOPING to stop off in Iceland on the way home and then spend time with family in Toronto. Iceland is at the top of my "go to" list this year.

I am planning to turn a family wedding in southern Alberta in August into a short solo road trip in that province and hopefully Montana.  Everyone always says how brave I am but I have never really done too many solo road trips so it's time!! I plan to do some walks along the way and lots of photography! 

The Macca man may cause me a side trip or two but hopefully I can combine it with an interesting place, a visit with some good Paul friends and perhaps a new state capital?  We shall see!!! 

There could be a half marathon or two later on in the year...time will tell...but nothing booked.  I do need to get into shape for that 79 mile walk in September though! 

That is the beauty of it all - the unknown.  It is fun to plan but it is even more fun to see where life takes you.

I have faced the fact I will never have a huge bank account but instead I will have lots of wonderful travel memories and a life I would not trade with anyone else.  And that's all that matters. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more